dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Actionscript Proofreading Sticky Suggestion

Actionscript Proofreading Sticky Suggestion

I realise I’m new to this community, but I’d like to suggest a new sticky: an Actionscript 'proof reading' thread.

How this would work is members would post functioning code they’ve written for more experienced members to read through and suggest how it could be optimised or altered to better achieve a given task. Alternately, members could post a method they plan to use to code a particular function, and request feedback on whether there‘s a better method to use.

This proposed sticky would not deal with requests for help with working out how to code something, or code debug work. It would be exclusively for helping members find a way to optimise their code. This would be a valuable resources for new coders, such as myself, who want to not only learn how to code Actionscript, but do it efficiently and effectively.

I know there’s already a lot out there on the web on how to optimise code, but more often than not, it’s difficult to apply it to your current project and really get the best of your script. It’s also pretty difficult to understand until you’ve developed a firm understanding of Actionscript. This means you are forced to code using bad practices until you have a good enough understanding to search for ways of optimising it. This thread would provide a source of optimising techniques applicable to your current project.

Like any forum, this has the potential to be abused. You'll always get members posting "Fix this for me", expecting others to dedicate their time, free of charge, to do their own work. Such posters should be firmly reminded of the fact that these are volunteers helping them out. I don’t mean for this to aid those newbies too lazy to read Flash’s documentation, but, instead, to compliment the information found on the net and in the manual and narrow it down to what is relevant to the member’s current script.

To recap, in case I was not clear, I’m suggesting a forum where members can post their script (or ideas for a script) in order to receive feedback on whether it’s the best, or optimal, way to code something. Other members could suggest alternate methods of coding the same function, allowing the poster to build on his understanding of the code or method he’s using, and learn of its advantages and its shortfalls.

Please let me know what you think, make suggestions, or share your opinion on my idea.

Nostalgia.

Hi Nostalgia, thanks for taking the time to post your idea. Is this not something that you can do in a post within one of the ActionScript forums? I think a sticky for this idea may be doable.

Hello Planet, thank you for taking the time to read my idea.

It's true that you can get an answer by posting in the existing Actionscript forum. This works as well as my suggested sticky would. My only issue with this is that it's difficult for someone to come along later and make use of the information. The forum’s search feature isn’t really set up for this task.

If it was in a single thread, members could look back on previous posts and find what they are looking for. It would also be easier to set up some ‘standards’ amongst the community concerning how people code things if the information was kept in a prominent place.

It’s up to the moderators, I guess. Just a suggestion.
    Using: Flash Professional 8 | Flash Player 8/9 | Actionscript 2 | PHP 5.1.6 | MySQL 5.0 |

Latest Helpful Links: XML Dropdown Menu - How To Use Fusekit

As I said before, the problem with tutorials is that it is often difficult to find optimisation techniques relevant to your current project. This thread would allow members to share techniques that are directly related to what they are coding at the time.

It's really up to you. I just think it will make things easier.
    Using: Flash Professional 8 | Flash Player 8/9 | Actionscript 2 | PHP 5.1.6 | MySQL 5.0 |

Latest Helpful Links: XML Dropdown Menu - How To Use Fusekit