A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Weird Problem in OS X

Weird Problem in OS X

I am having this weird problem in OS X that I can't figure out. It seems to be the OS and some sort of settings on it rather than settings in one program, because it seems to carry over across all of the programs.

When I attempt to download a file in my browser, be it Camino, Firefox, or Safari, and say I click a download link, which in turn links to a file (maybe blah.zip or blah.dmg). When I click that link, instead of popping up a downloading dialog or simply beginning to download it, it loads it in the browser as if it is a page. I have to right click on download links and choose "Save Target As" or whatever in order to actually save the file to my system.

It used to automatically download the files. It's a little frustrating to click a link and have it try to load a damn file in my browser instead of downloading it. Any suggestions?

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    When was the last time that you Repaired Permissions?

Yesterday. I basically did every possible optimization in Onyx. Still no resolution.

Did you run disc warrior from the CD?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

I don't own Disc Warrior.

If you have a mac disc warrior is a must. You can rebuild the disc and get rid of problems, which repairing the permissions cannot achieve.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

imagination through stupidity
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Designs
    I am having this weird problem in OS X that I can't figure out. It seems to be the OS and some sort of settings on it rather than settings in one program, because it seems to carry over across all of the programs.

When I attempt to download a file in my browser, be it Camino, Firefox, or Safari, and say I click a download link, which in turn links to a file (maybe blah.zip or blah.dmg). When I click that link, instead of popping up a downloading dialog or simply beginning to download it, it loads it in the browser as if it is a page. I have to right click on download links and choose "Save Target As" or whatever in order to actually save the file to my system.

It used to automatically download the files. It's a little frustrating to click a link and have it try to load a damn file in my browser instead of downloading it. Any suggestions?
    try creating a new user and see if it still happens.
    Nothing to see here, move along.