dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Price considerations for using flash server.

Price considerations for using flash server.

Hello,

I am trying to develop and application where people can leave voice messages and later on hear them back.
    I have several questions. Do I need the server to hear back the recordings or just a flash player in the client will be able to stream it (no need to download the whole file to start listening).
    I have seen that a server license for 150 concurrent users is $4500. Is that a one-time fee or is it per month?
    If a user wanted to save the audio in his pc to hear it for instance with winamp will I be able to download it in a more standard format?

I am beginning to think that flash is a pricey alternative and maybe i should consider using java and encode it to mp3. What´s your view on this?

Thanks. Ed.

flashcom addict
    You are correct on the price, There are alternatives though red5 or wowza red 5 being open source (just a little more difficult to use) wowza is in beta currently but due for release early 2007.
    All are capable of doing what you describe, i am under the impression that the demo version of flash media server permits commercial useage but with concurrent user restrictions.
    The server records and saves to your application folder so yes you do need the server.Currently you cannot convert flv files to mp3 on the fly but i think that this will be available (at a price) before long.
    FCS , FMS , Red5 and Wowza application demos online
    see our 18 streaming cameras (including 6 wireless IP cameras)
    8 networked computers some running Windows xp pro others running Linux Centos,The main website running on Sun Colbalt RaQ550 with 1.5 gig of ram using strongbolt software and the latest Centos OS

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I will take a look at red5 as it is open source.
    What i don´t like is that red5 again only records in flv format. That´s a big limitation.
    I don´t like either that it is more difficult to use cause i haven´t been able to record with fms(though i just tried yesterday).
    Not sure about the fms price. Is it 4500$ once or per month?

Thanks. Ed.

flashcom addict
    They all record in flv format wowza maybe a better solution price wise when it is released, It is certainly easier than red 5 and my own test reults have been excellent. If you would like to compare FMS with wowza then check my video email application FMS Version and the wowza version the applications are identical and there is no apparent differences in saved flv quality etc.
    FMS is a once only price
    Last edited by mr-webcam; 12-21-2006 at 06:52 AM.
    FCS , FMS , Red5 and Wowza application demos online
    see our 18 streaming cameras (including 6 wireless IP cameras)
    8 networked computers some running Windows xp pro others running Linux Centos,The main website running on Sun Colbalt RaQ550 with 1.5 gig of ram using strongbolt software and the latest Centos OS