Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to send audio out of Flash in 5.1 surround (sounds, music etc.)?

What I need is something that can externally send surround sound info to an external amp / surround speakers out of Flash. It would need to be external as Flash itself does not have the capacity for sound output beyond two-channel stereo.

The only 5.1 audio files that can be run on Mac or PC, other than uncompressed wav/aiff files, are 5.1 AAC files that are contained within QuickTime movies (Apple's trailers page has some examples).

It's easy to externally stream MP3s in Flash, but is there any ActionScript that will allow you to externally stream other file types, such as this? Importing them into Flash does not work - so can this be streamed with the QuickTime engine instead?

Sorry, I know it's a tricky one and there really doesn't seem to be any solutions out there. But it must be possible, I'd think it a bit silly if it weren't (especially since so many computers have 5.1 capacity these days).

Thank you for your time...