A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can the flash server be in a different host than the webserver?

Can the flash server be in a different host than the webserver?

Hello,

I have a virtual machine running ubuntu where i have the web server with my website. In my computer i have windows and the flash server installed.

I can access my website in ubuntu from windows but recording doesn´t work.

Can it be cause the flash server must be in the same host as the website?
    Any ideas why i can record voice when testing the recording in flash professional and not when the recorder comes from the website? In both cases they connect to the same flash server in my windows pc.

Thanks. Ed.

flashcom addict
    Your flash server can be anywhere - It does not need to be on the same machine as your webserver.
    You need to make sure that you connect properly to the flash server (rtmp://my-ip-address:1935/my-application-name)
    When you are testing try testing your applications from the web url rather than the local url
    FCS , FMS , Red5 and Wowza application demos online
    see our 18 streaming cameras (including 6 wireless IP cameras)
    8 networked computers some running Windows xp pro others running Linux Centos,The main website running on Sun Colbalt RaQ550 with 1.5 gig of ram using strongbolt software and the latest Centos OS

Hello Mr-Webcam,

thanks for answering.

The NetConnection is stablished ok (i debug by sending the trace to javascript). But the record_ns.onStatus and live_ns.onStatus which are called when running the player from flash professional are not called when running the player from the web.

When clicking on record button i get only a NetStream.Publish.Start event while from the flash professional i get 2: NetStream.Publish.Start & NetStream.Record.Start.

The flv audio file is created but just with 1kb and no sound at all.

Any idea what this time the error might be?

This is really my last big obstacle to have a working prototype.

Thanks. Ed.

flashcom addict
    Please tell me when connecting to the movie from the web url are you making the connection ?
    You should check the following :-
    the correct ports are open and not being blocked by either your firewall or programs like zone alarm.
    Also when publishing your movie in the publish settings of flash what version of flash are you publishing as ? finally what actionscript are you using as1 as2 as3 ?
    This should be a very simple task
    8 networked computers some running Windows xp pro others running Linux Centos,The main website running on Sun Colbalt RaQ550 with 1.5 gig of ram using strongbolt software and the latest Centos OS

Hello Mr-webcam.
    I don´t know how to look at the ports. I don´t think that can be the problem cause the net connection is established and a file is created and i have tried by using host: localhost and 127.0.0.1. If it were a firewall problem could I connect and create a file?

I save the recorder as flash mx 2004 and when publishing it says: Flash with fscommand 6.0.0.

About actionscript as1, as2 or as3 i have no idea how to tell about that.

The flash server is the same for both and is in the same pc where I am running the browser (my physical computer) and the webserver is in a vmware virtual machine.

I think that for some reason the mic is not working when using the browser to launch the flash recorder.

I hope i can solve this last problem.

Thanks. Ed.

flashcom addict
    I have created a very quick demo and download, as you will see it works fine for me here, please feel free to test it and modify it to suit your needs. If you cannot get this to work then you will have to look closer at your setup especially your firewall and what programs could be blocking flash server from working.
    demo page

Hello MrWebcam,

like always you are very helpful.

I have tried to record in your application online and it doesn´t work (which i consider a good thing in this case). So i have the feeling that something is wrong in my computer settings and that´s why i can´t record.

I have checked the flash settings (right-click) and everything is ok (access allowed, mic level ok and all) but nothing is recorded.

I have seen that i can reproduce audio (by placing an old flv in streams) using my application which is a good sign regarding port, security, etc.
    I think my problem has to do just with the microphone.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Ed.

flashcom addict
    A very common thing that people do with cameras and mics is use them elsewhere ( on another page, on msn or yahoo) without them disconecting properly
    If you have msn go through the audio set up wizard and double check that the mic itself is working, If it is then make sure that programs like msn or yahoo or skype are not auto starting with your computer as they will grab the mic and thus prevent you from using it on your application.

Hello MrWebcam,

i have installed your audiodemo on my pc. The funny thing is that when i test it flash asks me to give permission to access the mic and when i run my application it nevers asks for it. Why is that? You have the same code (new netstream, attachaudio, publish).

Thanks.

by the way my application stopped recording some minutes ago. This development is killing me.

flashcom addict
    I have searched and could not find a real reason for your app to stop working !
    I have now been told that it could be your virtual server causing all your problems.
    In fact two people have told me that they uninstalled the virtual server (linux) and replaced it with xampp for windows, so they were running flash media server/xampp(apache) from the same machine all apps worked fine that way.
    a thought

yes, vmware interferes a lot. Since i started using the vm i couldn´t watch any movie on my pc(voice and audio not synchronized with terrible results). I have to stop the vm to watch movies.

And 2 days ago i discover that the vm also interferes with the mic and that´s why i haven´t been able to record in 10 days (the vm switched off the mic). So now i am checking with audacity every few minutes (as recording is not working) that my mic is ok (now i also check with you audiodemo which works fine).

So the problem is in my flash anyway cause your application works ok.