A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Complete] Crown Snake

trashtalkthedollar.com

[Complete] Crown Snake

A classic version of snake turned into a little more of a community. Version 2 is on its way and will accomplish much more of what I want to do.

Play Crown Snake
    Last edited by jonnyblazedx; 01-04-2007 at 02:52 AM. Reason: thread title didnt contain "complete"

Its a good but simple game you could maybe add a high score board.
    I dont understand why you needed a domain name for this game.

trashtalkthedollar.com
    version 2 will have a scoreboard, i didnt know how at the time, nor did i feel like doing it when i did version 1 :P

dunno why i got the domain either, but i liked it, and its just a few bucks a year

i guess its ok for what it is.

i noticed you record how many people are playing. Why not step it up a little and make it multiplayer

still its ok, didn't find anything wrong with it
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

trashtalkthedollar.com
    haha, definately man, im too ignorant right now to do multiplayer, cause i wanna do it over a network if i do do it

but that was one of my original ideas for the game... i actually called it "Battle Snake" before I started making it :P

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Something you might want to consider is having the score not increase by zero when a block is hit when the speed is 0. Default it to 1. Why would a person play if they aren't making any progress?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

trashtalkthedollar.com
    why would a person play at 0% speed?
    :P

nah, im throwing out the keyboard controlled speed adjustment in version 2 anyways...
    its gonna be decision based adjustment. there will be 3 items to get, red, yellow, and green

red - increases speed by 5%, +100 points
    yellow - neutral, +50 points
    green - reduces speed by 5%, -50 points

not 100% on the scoring yet, but it'll be something along those lines

what happened to going through walls? Thats like the whole thing about snake game.....

dont like the color scheme either..... needs some better graphics, you should look at the flashkit snake game, that one rocks.

no hard feelings but

i have been looking for ever for a good simple snake game... i dono about the rest of the posts on here... but i personaly loved it...

Student
    typical coder design (colors, font, style, key- mapping, and lately glow/ blur seem to be the coder´s best friend) I guess that´s a matter of taste.
    However a casual gamer propably would expect something different like more colorfull and less text.
    Do you have perhaps some new ideas for your new editon maybe some elements that we haven´t seen already in those dozen clones? Like temporarly hollow parts of the snake (so that you can escape through that part)- or bombs that split up the snake and you can control multiple snakes at once wich can´t collide with each other but will appear as soon as they collide with itself so that again only 1 remains.

I´d like to see some fresh ideas

people are full of ideas, what we need is the means to express them thoroughly, the mind is much more complex than any computer

the color scheme isnt bad, its the positioning of everything that need to be worked on:
    soft innards without a nice, detailed border
    text everywhere
    overlapping alphas

not the best ideas
    not to mention the grays dont quite fit in too well

like the crash :)

trashtalkthedollar.com
    ive read ur posts guys, ive got responses... ill respond soon, im playing a game of madden right now

wow, i wish i could multi-task like that
    read, type, and play games

i can hardly mono-task

trashtalkthedollar.com
    haha, yeh... ive mastered the art
    okay,
    To render
    The major new gameplay feature I'm going to introduce in version 2 is jumping. It will be an energy based jump. 3 levels of jumping will be available. The short jump will take 1/3 energy, medium 2/3, and long 1. Energy will be acquired by collecting (I haven't decided yet) either a block devoted to energy or by collecting red or yellow food items.
    Although, I kind of like the idea of splitting the snake up. Perhaps if I can think of a way to do this that I like (I'm not too fond of the idea of bombs breaking the snake apart) I will implement it. We'll see how that goes.

To Trogdor
    The color scheme will be changed in version 2 regardless. I'm not too happy with it. It's okay, but it doesn't achieve the independence I want. It follows the color scheme of my actual website (http://crownproductions) too closely.
    I agree with what you say about the border. What I've been thinking to do is use more realistic looking obstacles. The updates portion can actually be hidden, but I'm well aware of the layout issues my game has. It was actually started as a small project out of boredom and had a lot of things added in as I went along. Version 2 is going to have a much more intuitive layout. Score will be the only visible thing (lower left hand corner, about 50% transparent and fairly large) other than the game. A menu will be in place but will have to be activated via a small button at the top of the game or a hotkey. Keymapping will be modifiable as well. Updates and things will be stored within this menu and displayed via a menu item. Such as About > Patch Notes.
    I'm glad you like the crash It was my favorite part of the game. I think I will move away from that style however, it is too CPU intensive and drops FPS way too much, especially at longer lengths. I will have a similar crash, but it will be a little bit less crazy.

Thanks for the feedback guys
    Keep it coming!

It's good, I liked it. The colors are ok but I also think it needs something that makes it special from other snake games. Personally I'd like a lot to play a multiplayer snake game, it would be really challenging and it doesn't seem to be very hard as taught in the articles of smartforx in gotoandplay.it I guess. Maybe as a start you could make a two player game in the same pc... just an idea. Overall, good job, I like the work you've done with it.
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

trashtalkthedollar.com
    Thank you phobik... maybe i will consider local multiplayer in this release. It would be a good way to get the engine set up for when I have the knowledge to do it over a network. I'll look into smartforx's article. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viza
    Use all of renders ideas, and the game could be kickass