A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Barcode Issues

Barcode Issues

I am creating an website which will incorporate a special offer coupon, incorporating a barcode. The idea is that the customer will print the coupon from the site and then use in specific stores.

Here's the problem: As found in the past, when customers with poor, low resolution printers, print the coupon, the scanners in the stores cannot read the barcode. I think this was partly due to the fact that the screen JPEG of the coupon was not good enough quality.

First and foremost we require the customers to print at a specific size, i.e. 100% (so the barcode works in the stores). I am not sure how to go about this. If I create a JPEG (or similar bitmap file) that is above 72 DPI then it simply appears bigger than I want when shown on screen. Is there a way…

a) to override the customers print settings so that the online coupon prints at 100%. Or

b) is there a way to reference an EPS or high-res PDF file, so that once the customer prints it will be 100% and good enough quality to be read by the store scanners. I am not sure if Flash would be helpful or not!

I know that was a bit long winded but any help at this stage would be much appreciated.

Paul

couldnt you just put the string of numbers below the barcode that the cashier could enter if it wont scan....like most barcodes?

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    You can increase the DPI and then use the html width and height parameters to shrink it down. Alternatively you could have a Flash file embedded with a print button that would print it out of the flash. That would allow you to print a high quality one however that wouldn't solve the problem of having a grainy barcode. I know that whenever i've purchased tickets online that have had barcodes they have given me a PDF to print. That may be more hassle than it is worth. I really like the idea of using Flash and it has some built in printing capabilities that would allow you to keep the coupon off stage and then when a Print button is clicked it could print it.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Hi,

to be honest, print from flash does not always work (Hi, Adobe guys, come to my home and see it not work, and html printout is not always the same size.
    Asking the user to print a pdf is some extra effort and does not really improve the quality of a bad printer.
    If you go the html route, a gif or png image of the barcode seems to be a better alternative to jpeg

Musicman

The problem is you're trying to print dots - bitmap style. Print vector, which Flash does naturally, and you have no problem. You get perfect printouts. You have to get the barcode in vector (like an illustrator file), not a jpeg.

use the PrintJob object to print specific movieclips.... keep the 'printable' movieclips off stage and at their full size ...

when a customer wants the barcode these off-stage moveiclips are the ones which are printed..not the ones they see on-stage..

hope that makes sense
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

Do you know if there are any PrintJob tutorials out there that incorporate printing 'off stage'? Also is this possible for Flash 7?

Quote Originally Posted by joran420 View Post
    couldnt you just put the string of numbers below the barcode that the cashier could enter if it wont scan....like most barcodes?
    hey, sorry for my so late reply , i'm just interested in this topic!
    but what you said can record the date on the system ?

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
    Hi,

to be honest, print from flash does not always work (Hi, Adobe guys, come to my home and see it not work, and html printout is not always the same size.
    Asking the user to print a pdf is some extra effort and does not really improve the quality of a bad printer.
    If you go the html route, a gif or png image of the barcode seems to be a better alternative to jpeg

Musicman
    so the barcode image should be a gif or png

cindy313, start a new thread when you have a question. Don't ask questions in other people's threads. Don't open old threads. These are all common forum rules - how all forums work.

Don't reply to other people's threads unless you have a solution. Do you see how you're asking questions in somebody else's thread?

Thanks.