A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OOP forum?

Im just a noob to this so I won't be creating the first post but I think maybe to simplify what you've said there:

OO - FAQs, Resources & Best Practices

People who are using OO already know what the abbreviation is and therefore I don't think you'd need the full line. Put "General" maybe.

Our Java developer just told me that it shouldnt only be OOP as there's 3 phases to OO and those are OOA, OOD and OOP which would encompass this entire thread
    Last edited by Wancieho; 01-30-2007 at 08:35 AM.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    What about newbies who may not know the abbreviation? They may want to get into it. But I do see your point. I will wait to see what the consensus is.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

I like it, but it's a tad long. I'd say it's good if you drop the 'General'. What do you guys think?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Ye sounds good.

Taco any thoughts?
    Jeremy Wischusen
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    i think that title sounds great. but who is going to write it? im not going to lie and say i know everything about OOP. that is why i suggested the forum, haha! I mean, i know my way around, im just not as good as id like to be...yet. but the title sounds great, and i look forward to asking some questions in it and see if they get answered.

To make the sticky as useful as possible it is my belief that it should be populated somewhere between largely and exclusively with solutions rather than idle discussion or a lot of random questions. Unfortunately if you do a search and the result is found in a 17-page thread, then you won't get directions to the information that are any more specific than pointing to the general thread itself. The board will append a little snippet to the url that will highlight your search terms, but it will still be up to you to search through each of those 17 pages to find what you are looking for.

So until such time as we can justify a full-fledged forum with searchable thread titles, I think it would be best to ask your questions normally...with relevant titles...then post the solutions in the general OOP sticky along with an appropriate subject title.

How's that sound?
    mrush

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    i agree with that completely. it should be full of more resources than questions and idle discussions. but who here is knowledgeable or good enough at grammar and english unlike myself to write up about it? maybe just a general idea to get started in the sticky. from what ive seen, cancerinform has a vast knowledge of oo practices. i see him helping out alot on the as3 forums.

(batting eyes) ask him rush?

I apologize for the confusion, guys. That's my bad. I got the mod for the AS3 forum mixed up with the regular AS forum. So to correct myself and clarify things...since this will be going in the regular AS forum, it will need to be stickied up by either Planet or any of the seven mods for that forum.

I can contact one of them if you wish, but remember that any one of you can start one as well. The mods are only needed to actually get it stickied. Another option would be to work out the first post in here, then post it up once everyone has had a chance to give some feedback on it. That way everyone has an opportunity for input and the collaboration will likely result in a better end product, anyway.

I say we get it hammered out in here, then I can just ask one of the AS mods (I think cathbert even posted in this thread, didn't he?) to put it up in the AS forum. How does everyone like the sound of that?
    mrush

Well, I think everyone is waiting on everyone to get it going......

I could get it going with this question:

Whats the difference between using:-

Code:
    import mx.transitions.Tween;
    new mx.transitions.Tween(obj, "_alpha", mx.transitions.easing.Strong.easeOut, 0, 100, 3, true);
    AND

Code:
    import mx.transitions.*;
    import mx.transitions.easing.*;
    TransitionManager.start(obj, {type:Fade, direction:Transition.IN, duration:3, easing:Strong.easeOut});
    but im not sure if its worthy? or even quite on topic. Thing is I believe only a person using OO will be able to answer so I doubt this will get answered in normal AS forum...

I am doing my masters in computer science so I can convincingly BS my way through some of the basics. The first post, which at this point I will just do in the As forum to get things rolling was going to be basics and best practices. My hope is that collectively we will get a consensus so we will cover each other "misperceptions" (but honestly when it comes to things like best practices, you ask 5 people and get 15 answers).

Wancieho,
    you want answer here, as that is a specific question rather than a resource or best practice?
    Jeremy Wischusen

Make it happen, stud.

*makes note of kortex's education and initiative*
    mrush

Well it ain't pretty, (I left my books at home today), but its a start,
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...71#post3801671
    Jeremy Wischusen

I think that's a great start. Nice job!
    mrush

Good job I like the post. Nice introduction.

As im a noob my posts will be more questions and not answers As to what I posted previously...

Basically the question in my mind was. Why did Macromedia/Adobe create 2 very different classes but both can achieve the same effect? I have always used the mx.transitions class but im seeing now that the Tween class can also be very helpful. Both have benefits, but on this example both achieve an identical result.

The tween class seems better in the fact that I can specify a start and end point on a co-ordinate when using movement of an object but when it comes to _alpha using the Fade type on the mx.transitions class seems better.

Basically which is better to use or does it just come down to personal preference and the project?

Well there is this article, but I am not sure how much it explains about the differences.
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/ar.../tweening.html
    Jeremy Wischusen

btw,

var mc:MovieClip = new MovieClip(); is a weird example because it doesn't create a new movieclip. It only allocates memory for one.

var foo:Object = new Object() would be much better or new Rectangle or anything really.

Just a though.... Good luck with the thread.

Nice work guys. I stuck the thread. You folks should also consider submitting some tutorials on the subject. I can create an OOP category if anyone is interested.

You're the man, Planet. Thanks for taking care of that.
    mrush

Quote Originally Posted by shell2006
    btw,

var mc:MovieClip = new MovieClip(); is a weird example because it doesn't create a new movieclip. It only allocates memory for one.

var foo:Object = new Object() would be much better or new Rectangle or anything really.

Just a though.... Good luck with the thread.
    Shell feel free to post directly in that thread if you feel there is something that I should clarify. This is not "my thread" so if you want to comment, clarify, or post tips tricks or best practices, please do so.

And Planet, thanks for making it a sticky.
    Jeremy Wischusen