A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Inviting you to the Flash Fisix Community

Inviting you to the Flash Fisix Community

Hello all flash and physics enthusiasts,

Please take your time to read this rather long winded post because it's not just another post, but something I've been working on for a long time, and planning even longer, and would like to invite all of you to join in the effort

For those of you who might be following, you know I've just released the Fisix Engine not too long ago... for those who haven't--I just released a physics engine

But my intentions from the start weren't to only build a physics engine, but a whole community of flash/game/and physics people who enjoy the whole area as much as I do. I plan on creating a great source of information for anyone interested in flash, the Fisix engine, physics programming, games, and everything in between.

To be honest, at first I thought: how many people can there actually be that are into flash and physics and will actually join this community? But to my surprise, the Fisix Engine has been downloaded almost 1,500 times to date, and the number is still growing.

I'm really hoping to build a community of people who will help each other and build a great source of articles and tutorials to help those getting started, and explain some advanced, but really cool topics. A place where flash people can learn about physics and games just doesn't exist on the web currently, and I know that having something like that when I got started would have been a tremendous help.

There is more I'd like to add to the currently small community, but I'd like to invite everyone who's interested to our newly opened Fisix Forum which will be the central community portal:

http://board.fisixengine.com

On the forum, please check out the competitions area and let me know how you feel about the whole idea. I think it would be great fun to run fisix competitions... at the very least we'll get some really cool physics demos out of it

Peace,
    Oz
    Last edited by ozmic66; 01-17-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune

Mondays Fan
    This sounds like a great idea. I've been researching Verlet Integration over the past couple of days and came accross your site.

There's surprisingly little resource for Flash Physics on the web other than the standard Euler stuff so hopefully your site and community can help out people like myself who want to learn about the subject.

Good luck with it and I look forward to messing with Fisix when I can get hold of AS3.

Student
    might stick my head into physics soon enough,- will visit you then - thx for the invitation

Student
    not something I seek for when I replied to this thread, but maybe others will find it usefull

I contest that my post is not Spam. The thread was started by OZMIC66, in which the thread starter had advertised (pimped) a link to a website, which is Spam. The thread starter said [QUOTE]To be honest, at first I thought: how many people can there actually be that are into flash and physics and will actually join this community? But to my surprise, the Fisix Engine has been downloaded almost 1,500 times to date, and the number is still growing.
    I'm really hoping to build a community of people who will help each other and build a great source of articles and tutorials to help those getting started, and explain some advanced, but really cool topics. A place where flash people can learn about physics and games just doesn't exist on the web currently, and I know that having something like that when I got started would have been a tremendous help.
    There is more I'd like to add to the currently small community, but I'd like to invite everyone who's interested to our newly opened Fisix Forum which will be the central community portal:[/UNQUOTE]
    I had only given links to the movies published earlier in FLASHKIT, which are similar to the subject and content of the thread, that is physics engine. When the thread starter invites people to visit a particular website and that is not Spam, why my giving links to the same physics engine subject of the thread is Spam? Further, I have not brought into picture (pimped) any commercial website, but only the physics movies published in FLASKIT.
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 02-27-2007 at 02:18 AM.
    <signature removed by admin>

Student

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    eager Beaver, you are a spammer:
    If I am a spammer, then all the members who are giving links to websites for whatever reason, in their posts, are also spammers.

Im a rag doll
    Hello
    Let us be friends.

I'm curious
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmic66
    [url
    http://board.fisixengine.com[/url]
    OZmic66 you are a spammer. You are advertising a website in which your works are published.
    Don't hate! Love!

Im still young
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet
    Eager Beaver, please do not pimp your submissions in the forums or your account will be banned.
    I have been submitting movies and games to FLASHKIT from the year 2003 onwards, under the author name Achyut Veluvali. My submissions were downloaded more than 10,000 times. The link to my submissions is:
    http://www.flashkit.com/search.php?t...&submit=Submit
    I have already submitted 28 FLASH movies, and games in FLASKIT till now.
    My friend Eager Beaver has given a link to some of the physics movies submitted by me in FLASHKIT, only to illustrate the use of physics principles with regard to, gravity, acceleration, and velocity, which were the subjects of this thread.
    Even Eager beaver or I are not fully aware the terms and conditions of FLSHKIT Community forums with regard to Spamming. But my opinion is that the above linking by Eager Beaver is not spamming. If I am correct, would you please, withdraw the threat about banning the account of Eager beaver.
    Thank you!

Student
    I have been submitting movies and games to FLASHKIT from the year 2003 onwards, under the author name Achyut Veluvali. My submissions were downloaded more than 10,000 times. The link to my submissions is:
    http://www.flashkit.com/search.php?...1&submit=Submit
    I have already submitted 28 FLASH movies, and games in FLASKIT till now.
    wich is simply SPAM!! (damn it if you want to advertise use the propper forums for it)

I have reported you and Pinky Rose as Bad Post, and Achyut: I already had a discussion with you regarding your spamming- stop it. No need to tell people what you did- if they want they can search for it in the propper sections (like the movies section in flashkit where you uploaded them)

@ MOD: please clean up this whole mess inlcuding my comments regarding the spam. ozmic66 doesn´t deserve this- for all others that are intersted in quality sources: I really recomed looking into his fisix engine and his forum

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    ozmic66 doesn´t deserve this- for all others that are intersted in quality sources: I really recomed looking into his fisix engine and his forum
    Aha! I don't know the rules of the forum. If you give links to the movies published in FLASHKIT it is spam. But If you advertise other commercial websites, where you hold some interests it is not spam!
    Look what the member 691175002 said in this post:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=716213

Student
    the problem with you guys is that you hijack threads started by others to advertise your own stuff.
    This is esspecially bad if the advertised links are rather poor or have no context to the orginal thread starter. Better start a new thread and get you aduience or attention there- but not like in this case where a quality poster offers something.

Who is to judge, and how to judge the quality of the Flash movies, and games?
    Such judgments can be very subjective.
    If I post links to some of them, which in my opinion are of good quality, I may be blamed of spamming.
    The problems arise in my opinion because of:
    -Not fully knowing the terms and conditions of the forums.
    -Not knowing what amounts to spamming, and what is not.
    -Professional egoism, and intolerance to constructive criticism.
    -Over enthusiasm to show off ones work to members.
    -Complaining unnecessarily to moderators about bad posts, and spamming
    leading adverse counter reactions from the aggrieved.

The quality is not only subjective, but also context dependant. The links were completely unrelated to this topic, despite them being somewhat physics related.
    Last edited by jelleoelle; 03-02-2007 at 06:07 AM.

I've been away from this thread from a bit, but it looks like this has become a somewhat heated conversation.

First off, I completely agree with renderhjs.

Beaver - I don't really mind if you want to advertise your hard work somewhere, heck i do it here all the time, but if you take a look you'll see that I create a new thread (just once) for every new topic i'd like to showcase/discuss (Except for the one time occasion when I released Fisix and consulted a mod before posting a link to my thread here in the games forum).

Again, posting the same stuff more than once will only tick people off and, as you can see, lead them to believe you're a spammer, so please take that into consideration because we need more work like the one you post here... just find a different way to present it.

@mod - Yep, it would be great if this could be cleaned up/moved somewhere else because it really doesn't apply to the title of the discussion (and could just confuse future fisix enthusiasts )

Oz
    Last edited by ozmic66; 03-03-2007 at 04:01 PM.
    Pixelwave Flash-based iPhone framework
    iPhone Games: Flyloop | Freedom Run

Twitter: Oztune