dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Disc] Current Games 4

Student
    some little progress on my ASE (3dsmax ASCI 3d- export format) reader:

(shows the classic max teapod mesh from the top view)

I found some really good documentations covering almost everything I want to know about the format- will post about those and the knowledge I discovered in the soon future.
    As for now I can already read in multiple objects- with their vertices and faces. Once I reach the UV(w)- maps it gets interesting as I have already some nasty ideas on how to boost the 3d- engine.

Mh...our english-speaking artist is quite busy so I'll write the presentation myself. I love to pimp anyway ^^

Partisan - Tactics Battles
    World and Story
    As the title says, Partisan Tactics Battle is a Tactical RPG, with a classic 2D isometric view. The game takes place in a steampunk world in which there is magic and medieval weapons but also mid-advanced technology like basic guns, cannons and steam machines.
    The story is divided into 4 chapters, the first one is somehow an introduction and the second forces you, Roarc, to take side in a civil war between Alchemists and Mechanists which is raging in the Kingdom of Potager. The player can really choose his side and it affects both the story and the gameplay =)
    You'll discover by yourself what happens during chapters 3 and 4 because I won't spoil it.

Gameplay
    The game is divided into a great number of missions (which you can start in Taverns, docks or guild posts) most of it being side quests. However, most missions lead to a fight which is the center of the game. It's a tactical RPG afterall.
    There are up to 30 jobs available in battles and different capacities, depending on wether you're teamed with the alchemists or the mechanists : the alchemists can make magic using runecards and control demonic-summons whereas the mechanists can use tools and control terrific machines.
    We're also planning quite a good number of mini-games including a fishing mini-game which you can play all over the game in various fishing spots and which can provide you powerful secrt equipments =)

Graphics
    The game features hand-made pixel graphics, thanks to Adarias. Here are a few samples :

Our current test map

All male jobs and a few female ones (WIP)
    All the characters have the same green hairs because the heads are added by the code and it permits us to have a wide range of haircuts and colors ^^

An attack animation

Music
    The game has a complete soundtrack composed by Tbop (The Blade of Parliament) in a traditional RPG style.
    Samples :
    -Piano version of Jimenez's Theme
    -Music from the port town called Panto

The game wil be released in a long long time, in English and French.
    You can find regular news on our developement blog which now has bilingual entries : http://partisan-tb.blogspot.com
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 02-03-2007 at 06:15 AM.

doItLikeThis
    Whaooo!

Edit: My "Whaooo!" is for both the 3d max thing and the RPG showcase
    Last edited by adit_ya_sharma; 02-03-2007 at 07:21 AM.
    -Aditya

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    That looks stunning . I can't wait to play it. The art is superb and the story sounds very interesting (i quite like the whole steampunk thing). Looking forward to it.

Ali

doItLikeThis
    Quote Originally Posted by alillm
    i quite like the whole steampunk thing
    Exact sentiments.
    -Aditya

fil_razorback, I'm sure you know I'm enamored with this game but it truly looks stunning, this is torture knowing it wont be released for a "long long time..." I don't know if I can wait!
    mmm signature

Both very cool there guys. I love the look of that Partisan Battle. It's got the feel of a loooong-term project though so I'm not holding my breath to play it any time soon. How about releasing the Alpha or early Beta when you've done the first level or so?

Render, always enjoy your stuff.

seriously, release a beta, like today please! I am holding my breath, and its starting to hurt.
    mmm signature

Student
    @ fil_razorback:
    your artist did nice work

again,- little progress:

can now read the UV data (lower left corner),- and started some basic 3d- display. Started testing with some skew functios as well for the UV- faces on the 3d- view model.
    And because I want to use the iso/ ortho- perspective I can spare out double triangles on quad faces (wich most modelers do anyway) and render each quadface as 1 uv- face without opacity or masking. Depending on the mesh this could decrease greatly the needed calculations per frame.

Student
    little progress on the UV- mapping:

though the texturized 3d- model looks yet a little bit wacky in the 3d- viewport

wont upgrading this project to AS3,- as Flash 9 Beta requires WinXP - and I avoided that one so far,- sigh.. propably w´ll need to update booth soon. But but I think that AS2 F8 will do pretty fine for now

Still working on "The Enforcer"

Got the alley way done now, and have been able to compress the game into under 3 mb.

http://truimagz.com/truimagz/games/enforcer.html

Student
    able to compress the game into under 3 mb.
    now that is some amazing work,- and I was worrying there for you . So did you left out some frames,- rendered a different framerate or imported it as movie,- not image sequence?- because those things can greatly decrease the filesize- but 3MB is laready very good for such a game.

Wow, The Enforcer is comming along great. Good work! I like the way you balanced the gameplay. Nicely done.
    Waiting for more

Regards

Student
    hmm,- guess I´ll soon open a thread for this case itself as it grows slowly..

still with the 3dsmax ASE format engine:
    took me 2 evenings to get it propper working,- but works like a charm now:

its about slicing a triangle (any kind) out of a footage (image, bitmap, movieClip,...) and normalize it in a way so that I can use it propper for skewing later on

skewing as in this sample screenshot but instead just with the trianlge thus half of a rectangle shape.
    I havent put it together with the previous things but now I should be able to display the textures of the 3d models propper (propper in a way flash allows me).

nice one. I have no idea what your doing but nice one
    whats the plan for this anyway? more dynamics for your portfolio or a new game?
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    nice one. I have no idea what your doing but nice one
    whats the plan for this anyway? more dynamics for your portfolio or a new game?
    rofl ,- ok I agree to some extend that it´s hard for someone else to follow here,-
    but it is for this baby:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...19&postcount=4
    the jagged alliance 2 flash game,- and right now I working on the texture reading of the 3d- format so that I can skin any poly object in the engine with a texture.
    but I could use this propably for anything that has to do with triangles, meshes or polygons. I might explain the procedure in another thread

cool, for what i see that game looks super hot. And yeah, i see now why you would want to render textures on 3D surfaces.

Guess i'd better get my act together and get at least a beta of my RTS up
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Student
    hooray,- finally implented in the 3d- engine:
    (in case you wonder,- this is a flash screenshot!!,- just added the descriptions)

though there is no z-sorting yet but I am working on that,- but that will happen once I start transfering the current rendering method to a blitting one (using 1 bimap object only) as discussed here some time ago (blitting).

Imo. I think that UV- mapping & skinning is mostly underated today but that´s also cause not many 3d-artists like the job or dont master it propper. Hopefully the engine will speed up even more with blitting allowing me displaying 500+ triangles at once in 42fps.

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    hooray,- finally implented in the 3d- engine:
    I honestly can't wait to see this in action.

Question though, I think I remember reading in your orthographic engine thread that you were using AS2, correct? Are you still coding in AS2? If so, that only makes this even more impressive.

Student
    yes,- still using windows 2000 (cant install flash beta9 atm),- though I plan upgrading to XP (ever hated but I have to) next week. Hopefully I can update this to AS3 as soon as possible.
    right now I try already removing annything unnecessary and ~120 polys run at ~24fps but that is far away from my goal- but like I said I haven´t touched my secret weapons.