A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Fast Foward and Rewind 90 frames in multiple timeline file (no video clips)

[F8] Fast Foward and Rewind 90 frames in multiple timeline file (no video clips)

I have been trying to make simple fast foward and rewind buttons for a file I made using the "slide presentation" format in Flash 8 (ideally, to rewind or skip ahead 90 frames and then play). I had code for a file I had with a single timeline that worked by creating an empty movie clip...but the same code, even when inserted into each slide's timeline, doesn't seem to be working. I have tried various other codes I found on these forums and elsewhere...but nothing seems to work!

I am very new to actionscript, so I don't even know where to begin to make the code myself, or how to fix the ones I've gathered already. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Oh, and this isn't a video I imported...it's just the Flash itself. Thanks!

Chemist
    Why wouldn't you break your presentation into chapters and and create individual MCs and then lay the individual MCs on the timeline and reference those via frame labels? I probably wouldn't have everything on the main timeline.

I am really new at this whole thing...what exactly does that mean?

Chemist
    I would reccomend that you first do some of the macromedia tutorials at least to get a better understanding of the terminology

"Slides" in Flash are a little more tricky, if you want to do anything other than the basic next slide/previous slide stuff. At least that's been the case in my experience. What code are you using that's working on one of the slides?

Well, I didn't actually get anything to work in the slides. However, I thought I was at least close putting this on the buttons:

In the fast foward I button put:

Code:
    on (release){
    	gotoAndPlay (+90);
    }
    And in the rewind button I put:

Code:
    on (release){
    	gotoAndPlay (-90);
    }
    At least it does SOMETHING when I press them...although in both cases it just rewinds to the same spot in the slide, regardless of when the button was pressed. It's really strange, actually.

And I will learn more about actionscript and the terminology and all that...but I was just curious about this one code since I was working on a project for a client where it would have been really cool to add those buttons, and if I was going to do it, I needed to know how quickly.

I guess in the future I'll avoid the slide presentation format when I need a controller...

Also, the code I had in my other project that was all on a single timeline was (for the entire controller, all in the first frame of the movie):

Code:
    play_btn.onRelease=function (){
    play();
    } 
    pause_btn.onRelease=function(){
    stop();
    }

forward_btn.onPress=function (){
    _root.createEmptyMovieClip("controller_mc",1);
    controller_mc.onEnterFrame=function(){
    _root.gotoAndStop(_root._currentframe+100);
    }
    }

forward_btn.onRelease=function (){
    controller_mc.removeMovieClip();
    play();
    }

rewind_btn.onPress=function (){
    _root.createEmptyMovieClip("controller_mc",1);
    controller_mc.onEnterFrame=function(){
    _root.gotoAndStop(_root._currentframe-100);
    }
    }
    rewind_btn.onRelease=function (){
    play();
    }

forward_btn.onRelease=function (){
    play();
    }
    forward_btn.onReleaseOutside=function (){
    play();

}
    rewind_btn.onRelease=function (){
    play();
    }
    rewind_btn.onReleaseOutside=function (){
    play();
    }
    I found this one in a tutorial and it worked great...until I started working in slides...