A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tech Junkie

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    nice volley >flashl!ght< specially the textured vector work..
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Say flashlight can you please share some of your knowledge on the vectoring and subtle line work in the background? I love all of the little detail in your image.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkness
    Say flashlight can you please share some of your knowledge on the vectoring and subtle line work in the background? I love all of the little detail in your image.
    There's really no trick, I'm just piling on layers. Background is a paper texture only moderately manipulated.I use Fireworks, which is a hybrid vector/raster app so it's easy to throw vectors around, cut them up, etc and mix them with bitmap manipulations. Just a bunch of circles, really.

I also used the SWF thing I posted in my first post to create some background geometry. Here's the quick 'study' I made before scripting the SWF, gradually adding detail to a block and piece of text.

Both links above are Fireworks PNGs, so if you open them in Fireworks you get the vector objects, although there's really nothing to them.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

Nice I see the cirles you made with different widths now my thing is the lines you threw in there how is that you spaced them evenly in a circle and thanks for the sharing of info too.

Well for the lines they aren't actually perfectly even if you look. I basically just drew a perfectly vertical line using the standard shift+drag thing, then a perfectly horizontal line using shift, so I have a crosshair of 2 lines. Then I selected both lines, duplicate, and rotated holding shift to get a 45 degree angle, which resulted in 4 lines. Then I select the four lines, duplicated, and rotated roughly so they were even, which resulted in 8 lines. Then did the same thing a few more times, selecting all, duplicating, rotating so it's roughly even. The lines aren't actually perfectly even, but since I was making them overlayed so lightly I didn't bother... there is probably a way in Fireworks or Illustrator using some array command to do it perfectly, but basically I just duplicated and rotated.

I also used some align commands to make sure everything was perfectly centered...
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 02-16-2007 at 03:55 PM.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Nice Im working on something currently! Im going to try and detail it out. we shall see

Just a quickie you might say

Back from the dead. Cause I'm board(as evidenced by this image).
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 09-06-2007 at 02:16 AM.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

>flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

>flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Flashlight, if you've got some time can you desktop that one for me?
    Its fken sweet man!

holy crap flashy! beautiful! I'd love to know your technique on shading the swoops.

Was this made in illustrator or PS?

beautiful work flashlight! I apologize if I'm a little out of line here as I am merely an observer of The Arena but never an active participant, but is it just me or is the image a little bit phallic? sorry again if I'm out of line here... been up all night on a project...
    mmm signature

How is it phallic?
    There's only one tall vertical, and it's predominance in the layout doesn't make it a feature, merely an accessory.
    Phallic! PAH!

then again, that might be why I like it so much :P

Natsia - no problemo, it's pretty much all vector so easily resizable(so long as my computer doesn't die) -- what size ya want? It's 3:2 aspect currently...

lefteye - it was made using Fireworks, which is a hybrid vector/raster app -- I guess kinda like the core toolset of PS and AI combined. Technique on the swoops meaning the psuedo 3d-ish effect? I created the swoops using the pen tool, usually only 4 points, sometimes 6 points, and it's just a gradient fill. Then I duplicated, moved the dupe below the original, changed the dupe fill to be darker and offset some of the points to reveal them emerging behind the original to create the perspective feel. Really simple, but a convinving enough effect -- same effect used in Vita, my march madness geoconstruct(that was the first time I tried it) and various other images. Then I added some brush strokes over top with various blend modes to make it look a bit less solid and more natural/textured.

chase - nope. the idea was to sort of counter the Vita image in many subtle ways: face looking upward rather than downward, light background rather than dark, glowing open eyes rather than dark scowling eyes, smooth and clean "free" feeling swooshes rather than twisted gnarly broken up swooshes, horizontal canvas rather than vertical canvas, etc
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

what size ya want? It's 3:2 aspect currently...
    1600x1066
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Puuurrrfect!
    Thank you hunny!
    Sorry I didn't check back sooner.