A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] symbol library

[F8] symbol library

Newbie here... first post.. looking for how to view the symbol library. Plus is it possible to manipulate or change a symbol from what is in the library? Thanks

how to view the symbol library

CTRL / L will open the Library

possible to manipulate or change a symbol

make a duplicate of the symbol and apply changes to it

hope I've read your question correctly

Excellent quick response...

did the ctl l and voila the symbol library. Located the symbol and it is a graphic. did a dup and saved it under a seperate name. NOW the question how can i alter it? the graphic is of words done like word art does. would i go to word art create the words i want and then save as a symbol??? Some of the symbols in the example I am trying to utilize are movie clips and can you open and change these... oops getting ahead of myself again.. find it hard to take baby steps ..... maybe just stick with the graphic alteration... for now LOL

Flash is not a graphics editor, you will need to use a dedicated program,
    Photoshop, Fireworks etc..

hth

Ok.. have Fireworks

how do i open the symbol in this program or get it to that program..and then learn how to do what i want..hmmm maybe easier just to go to fireworks create what i want in the same dimensions ,,,, will have to try both. Some of the symbol graphics are text in text boxes which seem to be edit ready in flash but what does it mean edit and edit in place??? and any tips on the offerings when you right click the graphic?

edit in place will show the Stage as a background
    edit alone will not

how do i open the symbol in this program
    in the Library, right click, and use option - Edit with Fireworks
    note: you must have access to the original image

thanks for the help...

are the edit with fields greyed out when you do not have the original graphic? Found another symbol that was a movie clip and was able to export to file as swf file... are these files editable?? like can you convert a swf file to a fla file? thanks going over to fireworks to create 'my words'....

Rolling right along...

Went into fireworks and have created the words curved and the tutorial i followed had me slice the eclipse before adding the text. now the import to flash or how do i get it into the symbol library... import gives me all sorts of choices about edit and raster something and i have tried two and they both seem to be the same..... my example was not split so I am thinking I have to go back to fireworks and create the text without splitting it... then maybe I will get one circle like graphic of text..... off to the drawing board again... let me know if i am heading down the wrong path.....