dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: modern looking pixelation filter

modern looking pixelation filter

I need to make this globe gray and pixellated in a modern style. I've tried so many Photoshop filters, but I can't get it to look pixellated in a modern graphical sort of way.

Any tips?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    seapod00

Is that the result you are getting or the image you are starting with?

It's kind of hard to pixelate a line drawing. Do you happen to have any examples of the style you are shooting for?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

that's the original...

...much lower resolution that the real original though, as Flashkit wouldn't accept the bigger file.

I've attached a lighter version of what I am trying to achieve. This will be a backdrop to a design.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    seapod00

2 questions:

1:What is the purpose of this graphic? IE= Display / Print

2: Are you trying to redraw this graphic so that its a grey watermark on something?

I'm a but confused as to what you're trying to do here and why?

Even without answering those, I think your best bet would be to physically redraw that object in photoshop using the pen tool and then fillsto get the desired colour and effect you are going for.
    Personally I would do that first before attempting to pixelate / distort it.

1. It will be the background of a powerpoint pres.
    2. I'm trying to avoid redrawing it. It should look like a watermark.

Let me know if I can answer any further questions.
    seapod00

Hun, Im going to have stick to what I said.
    You're going to have to redraw that, the quality of the image really isnt that good to start with and to do what you want it to do, you'll have to put the additional work in.

Or will she?

I have to say I don't think pixelating the globe is the way to go. If you're dead set on going with that idea then I don't think there is much I can do to help since I still can't wrap my head around a pixelated line drawing looking good. When I think about a pixelated image I think of visible blocks of shifted colors. This can come in various forms and sizes, but the problem with this is I think doing that will just oddly distort the line drawing of the globe.

So what I would recommend is doing a nice clean version that is simply transparently overlaid on the background. If you want to go this route I can help you out by providing graphic assets in a variety of forms.

First of all, if you have Swift3D then I can give you a .T3D with the globe that I used to create the images below. If you don't, then I can give you either separate .SWF's for the latitude/longitude lines and the continents, a .FLA with those two .SWF's already imported as lines so you can modify them to your heart's content, or a layered .PSD with raster versions of the same.

Here is the raster version:

And here it is as just black outlines:

It doesn't look exactly like the original, but perhaps it will be close enough. Let me know if you want any of those elements.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..