A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [MX] Advanced pre-loader problem.

[MX] Advanced pre-loader problem.

Hi All.
    I'm using the following script in the preloader of the menu of my website. The problem is that everytime the user gets on the main page (wich is quite often) you get the preloader again (very short but still). I would like the preloader to be hidden once the file is loaded and cached after the first visit.
    Does anyone have an idea about how to solve this?
    Code:
    on frame 1:

loadpercent = "0%";		
    loadBytes = "0 of " + Math.round((_root.getBytesTotal() / 1024) * 1000) / 1000 + " Kb";

on frame 2:
    gotoAndPlay(2);

and some code to get a loading  bar wich isn't really relevant I think
    illustrator / concept artist / animator
    www.elsakroese.com

everytime the user gets on the main page
    you mean you actually go to other pages? as in: other urls?

gparis

I don't fully understand what u mean but maybe this will clearefy.
    I got 1 mainpage wich links to other pages-other urls if you wish-, these pages link back to the mainpage, but everytime you go to the mainpage - either if its the first time or if you are linked back to the main from one of the bodypages - the preloader shows up again. Ofcourse only very briefly since the flash is technically already loaded but it still shows, wich imho looks less good.
    www.elsakroese.com

by other url i mean other html documents (so different web adresses). Which would require a very different solution (cookies) than if you have only one swf at one web address (variable).

gparis

yeah there are other html documents (or php documents in my case).
    But the main page I'm talking about, with the flash menu, is just one page wich you keep returning to trough other pages.
    www.elsakroese.com/mainpage.php this might explain a bit.

Issn't it possible to make a preloader that detects if it's file is already fully loaded and than just skips the loading phase?
    www.elsakroese.com

That's what your preloader does, it checks if _level0.getBytesLoaded() is equal to _level0.getBytesTotal(). So that's exactly what you have right now. But that is not enough apparently.

What you want to know is if the user has already been on that url. As i said before, you may need to use cookies. Flash has a way to acheive that with the Shared Object method.

gparis

So what your saying is that it should already be hidden the 2nd time you go to the page with the code I use now? o.0
    I sadly have no idea why its not doing that though. (lets say if u go from mainpage, to illustrations and back to main page, the loader shows again and it gets annoying after a few times)
    I will look into the cookie options but I wonder if I shoudn't be able to fix it in the sfw itself.. something wrong with my code perhaps? seems to work fine for the rest.
    www.elsakroese.com

no, your code is fine. But a i was saying, Flash is not a server side program, and as each time you go back, you loading that page again, and the swf with it, there is a delay for the flash to realise that getBytesLoaded must be equal to at 100% of the total. The delay is normal, and only if the php tells the flash 'you've be here before, skip the preloader' or Flash reading a cookie (that would be a tad faster) you'll have that little 100% loaded showing.

gparis