A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Which is the best method

Which is the best method

Hi,

I would like to know, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to create a flash video gallery that can be used in a website.

I would welcome any samples or tutorials that may be available.

I would appreciate it very much.

Cheers

Busy doing nothing Boris the Frog's Avatar
    www.cmmtv.co.uk/flash/flash.html - go to to Gallery then go to video gallery
    this uses flv files and loads in thumbnails from info in a text file
    Colour of the thumbnail in normal state is set by the geom.colorMatrix, and then returned to normal on rollOver

Not saying it's the best - it's just an example.
    --------------------------------------------------
    ‘There is no emoticon to express how I am feeling’ - Comic Book Guy
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon sequestration... it's called 'coal', so leave it alone!
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon capture....it's called 'trees', so plant some!

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it much. The example seems to be perfect for the application I had in mind.

Would you know of any tutorials that can teach me how to do the same sort of thing?

Cheers

Busy doing nothing Boris the Frog's Avatar
    I don't know of a tutorial, but here are some details on how this was done.
    Fraid I don't have the actual code though.

this is the content of the text file imported into the page mc
    thumbs=tn_cmmlogo.jpg,tn_armstrong.jpg,tn_rrVid.jp g,tn_grotdeath.jpg,tn_grotpayoff.jpg,tn_gwVid.jpg, tn_lwclimbing.jpg,tn_livewirelogo.jpg,tn_goodhew.j pg,tn_mortpod.jpg,tn_butlins.jpg,tn_lativio.jpg&
    &thumbtext=CMM Logo Ident,Animation for Rolls-Royce CD-Rom,Education at Rolls-Royce plc,'Death' animation for Games Workshop,'Pay Off' animation for Games Workshop,Design Studio at Games Workshop,Livewire Mountaineers,Shell Livewire logo Ident,Duncan Goodhew for Sport England,Animation for Bowmer and Kirkland CD-Rom,Red Coat Jonny for Butlins plc,DVD menu background for Lativio&
    The variable string content is put into a multidimensional array
    There are empty frame movieClips on the stage and they load in the first 3 jpgs from the array
    The colour settings are done for each clip and they have rollOver and rollOut code
    mc.onRollOver = function(){
    //change color to normal with the function
    colorNormal();
    }

They also have an onRelease function set that sets the content path of the FLVPlayback component. This function also sets the textField text content using the data from the array
    The arrow (back and next) buttons change the display by +3 or -3 in the array.
    --------------------------------------------------
    ‘There is no emoticon to express how I am feeling’ - Comic Book Guy
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon sequestration... it's called 'coal', so leave it alone!
    There's an effective, simple solution to carbon capture....it's called 'trees', so plant some!

Hi,

Thanks alot. You have been very helpful.

I will try to search for a tutorial. There's got to be one somewhere out there.

Cheers