A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: text dev vs browser

text dev vs browser

I have been working with Flash for a few years now and am fairly familiar with using text both static and in animations. However, I am consistently losing a great deal of time transitioning my text from the development stage to the browser stage. In otherwords, what seems clear in the development environment is almost always fuzzy and somewhat unreadable in the browser and vv. Therefore, I have to go back through my project and adjust the text settings accordingly.

I have encountered this through the last few versions of Flash and assumed eventually it would be corrected, but at times it seems like it's getting worse. Is there any effort being made to correct this in furture versions of Flash? Is there some technique or setting professionals use to create consistency between the two environments (dev and browser)?

You are probably using fonts that are not so typical, and therefore don't reside on most users browsers. Sometimes this is the case with titles or big-ass slogans on webpages.
    I usually kill that by breaking those letters apart and making them load dynamically as separate movieclips. If the client in the future decides that the slogan should change, all he has to do is to change an XML file, that will result in a different caption.
    Cordially,
    Abelius
    www.worldkit.com

I know what you mean by breaking it apart and using movieclips, but how are you incorporating the XML file? Could you maybe provide me with a basic sample, including the XML file?

Thanks for the input!

PS awesome site... I'm still trying to learning how to do those 3d effects. Are they (your Nav bar anim) done solely in Flash or did you use plugins/ext, ...?
    Last edited by bfuzz; 02-02-2007 at 04:16 PM.