A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Leaving flash on screen, change HTML only

Leaving flash on screen, change HTML only

How can I avoid having to reload my flash movie, if used as a navigation bar?

I have index.html with my .swf, as well as 7 other pages with the same .swf in the same location.

Any ideas how I can go about leaving my .swf in place, while changing the .html page, without using frames?

Here is my problem.

I want to put a preloader, and a loading sequence in the .swf navbar I built, but do not want the user to have to see it more than once.

Heres the page. http://www.myportfolio.ws

Thanks everyone.

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    If you preload your nav swf. The first time a user views your site (index.html) will be the only time they see the preloader. The movie will then be cached on their computer and it won't need to load again, so they won't see it again.
    Understand?

Great, thanks for the clarification. That solves my main problem.

Now for curiosity, it seems like that on this site:

http://www.thenetmencorp.com

The Navbar stays in one spot, never leaving the screen. Would a standard preloader script work like this?

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Yeah. When I design flash navigation menus to use in html sites, this is exactly what I do. I build the nav bar, insert it into the page (always in the same spot), then build the rest of the page with html. This way if you ever need to edit the menu, you just open flash, edit and upload to the server. All pages will reflect the changes.