A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: molten metal look: software or special techniques in Illustrator?

molten metal/motion look: software or special techniques in Illustrator?

I'm trying to figure out how to create a sort of molten metal/mercury type of look... I assume it's some special software application or something... as i have seen it used on MANY MANY club flyers, etc. I don't know if it's just A LOT of time spent in Illustrator or Photoshop (or both) or if its done in a special 3D rendering app, or something i don't even know exists...

I included a few examples of what i mean....
    How or what produces images/effects similar to these:

OH.. Windows Apps will not help... as i will NEVER own a system that runs on Windows... So MAC only suggestions please...
    Last edited by madzigian; 02-03-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |

3d software for sure, i wouldnt think illustrator or Ps for this, 3dS Max, lightwave, Maya, would be the hardest way, but for what u want perhaps Cinema 4d, im not really good at 3d, havent used any for years now so im pretty sure therell b better options.

Ph.

-_-
    You should be able to do something like this in photoshop.
    I played around with the Chrome and Liquify filters and got this:

Quote Originally Posted by Adobemedia
    You should be able to do something like this in photoshop.
    I played around with the Chrome and Liquify filters and got this:
    Thats a good option, like i said i dont really use 3d or sth that looks like, for years now, im glad u helped him/her.

Ph.

-_-
    Thats a good option, like i said i dont really use 3d or sth that looks like, for years now, im glad u helped him/her.

Ph.
    Yeah, after you play with the liquify filters, you get better in controling how you want things to look.
    Last edited by Adobemedia; 02-04-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Hi heres some tuts that might help

one photoshop the other 3d

http://www.tutorialman.com/3d_abstra..._tutorial.html

http://www.voidix.com/Silicon%20One-1.html

hope these help
    bp

Thanks guys... My goal is actually to take a few specific objects from Illustrator, and convert them into molten metal-like objects (with a 3d look to them). I searched and searched and found a program called ZBrush by Pixologic.....which i think can do exactly what i want... But it's VERY difficult to understand and figure out how it works with no prior 3d experience. I taught myself Flash, and i thought that was difficult.... but this ZBrush program is a whole different story!!

Anyway.. thanks. I'll check out those tuts and screw around in Photoshop and see what i can come up with. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best i suppose...

Thanks again.
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx

That looks awesome, and quite cheap as well, I remeber using Max and character studio for the first time, that was a nightmare...

looks like a great program for modelling and illustration

think you might have cost me some money

bp

i thought that app looked pretty cool.. and would open up a lot of doors creatively... but i'm not in a position to spend that kind of money on a program that i'm not sure i can teach myself...

There's also no way to test it's integration with other programs.. The trial doesn't allow importing or exporting.. so you can't get an idea of how work rendered in it will look anywhere else... but other than that... I think it's definitely worth me putting some time into.. see what happens..

The tut for 3d Studio Max didn't get me very far... It's still a Windows only piece of software... Though after searching around a bit... They supposedly are going to release a Mac version at some point...

Thanks anyway though

You can import *.eps shapes into ZBrush. However, you'll have a hard time converting them from a 2.5D to a 3D shape. You'd be better off with a piece of native 3D software like 3D Studio MAX or the free Blender*. From what I figure from your description, all you need is a shape imported in one of those programs, and apply some simple material settings and a reflection map to achieve the mercury look (like the iStockPhoto logo).

* Blender has one of the steepest learning curves on the planet, but at no cost, it's definitely worth the effort.

For the other images you posted, you can easily make an abstract 3D object in 3D Studio MAX by creating a couple of spheres with high polygon counts and go crazy with the transform and deform tools. Give the objects a nice bright colour The final touch is added by creating a camera with a very high Field of View (FOV) (or, alternatively, a wide angle, something like 8-14mm) to get the exaggerated perspective look. Any other details like glows, highlights, colour blends et al. can be done in Photoshop.

Another alternative method in 3D Studio MAX or Blender is to create a NURBS shape and randomly create shape points with the BezÃ*er pen tool and then deform and transform it. Again, a camera with a high FOV will do the trick to create the funky perspective. Any final colouring and ethereal look can be easily created with adjustment layers and blending modes in Photoshop.
    hello.

-_-
    * Blender has one of the steepest learning curves on the planet, but at no cost, it's definitely worth the effort.
    No kidding. I still haven't figured it out!