A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: export from AI, import to Flash...

export from AI, import to Flash...

Flash 8 Prof, AI CS2, Mac.

This is meant to be the best combination of software - vector making vs vector animation. But no, its even harder than i thought.

I have a file, it is the exact size that i want it. It is an AI file. I want to export it in whatever format is necessary (keeping transparency) and import that into Flash. I can do that but when it is imported into Flash it loses its quality - why?!

This is driving me up the wall - i havent been able to find help in other forums so i have come here in desperate need of help - I have been trying to solve the most simple task for an entire day now and it is slowing my work down big time. I have tried increasing all options for curve quality, PPI, you name it (in illustrator), it doesnt make ANY difference. It is something that flash does to the file (I have been trying it with .swf - when i export as PNG it pixelates it really badly and other formats lose their transparency or Flash screws it p big time on import).

Any more info needed and I will provide. I cant upload any files but I thank you in advance for your help.

Theo

transferred to design and graphics forum.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

here is my try of exportation. ILL CS2 to F8 transparency with gradients (in PC)

original ai. (the white space is a cut out)
    exported to F8 with brown BG (the quality shown here is not the same as the real Fla. which in Fla. is the same as ai.)

personally i dont see the different much. although it is only a basic example. your ai. might be more complicated than this though.
    Can you take a snapshot of your ai. in JPG format so we can see what you are dealing with?

hi jujumon,
    Thanks for taking time to post. Unfortunately I am not able to show my work as it is a work in progress. I have actually moved on from this now - had a complete rethink to get round this problem - though i'm sure it will come back to haunt me!
    The quality problem I was having was much worse than what you showed - its obviously a more complex shape. I got round the gradient problem by using a solid colour instead but had alot of issues with the quality of the graphic - which is something I dont understand as it is a vector graphic, there should be no problem resizing it to make it bigger or in my case, smaller.
    But anyway, thats how it goes. I'm sure one day I will understand. Thanks for your help.

Theo

no problem

Another way to do it is to copy what you have made in illustrator and paste into Flash. It should keep the transparency.

Works for me anyway...

Christopher Mitchell
    "All men are equal. All men, that is, who possess umbrellas."
    E.M. Forster