dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Three Logos, which is best

Three Logos, which is best

Well there are three logos, changes can be made but what do you guys think of these three?

edit: I'm aware of the typo, this is about the concept/design...
    mmm signature

I'll be brutally honest and say that none of them are magic, but the best of them would be the third one on the right. I would recommend dropping the 3 down so it's in line with the rest, though. I don't like the arrangement inside the blue square, but having them stand alone along with the color difference seems to improve things. a little...

To expound on why it's not working for me, it's just not standing out and making any kind of statement to me. You get high marks for legibility, but I'm not being 'visually pleased', so to speak, and it's lacking in overall balance. It doesn't need to be 'artsy', but don't be afraid to apply some artistic flair. Even a simple transposition of two characters would be enough. You tried something along those lines with the first one, but that's coming off as 'HRI' instead of HRP'. Perhaps you would have better luck letting the 'H' and the 'R' share that common vertical.

Just my take on it.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Yeah I actually had the 3 on the line with the HRP but they asked for it to be raised. Other people suggested making the three smaller and I think I am going to test that out...

Thanks a ton, actually currently my client, who I don't think cares for much of an artsy logo at all is currently using the third one for the website. The problem is I really lack skill lol, this is more I'm doing the logo because I'm a family member and willing to do it rather cheaply(a website has also been designed). I don't know why but I really liked the first one and thought it'd be obvious considering right below showed that there were three P's but I do like the idea about HR combined... anyways thanks for the honest feedback.
    mmm signature

Hmmm. I dont know about any of these, they dont really grab you.
    Fonts, spacing dont really work for me personally. I feel like you could've used stronger / bolder fonts and squeezed your text a little to compensate for the huge amounts of negative space.

You've got a lot you can work with here, 3 = three corners (triangle), 3 letters etc.

What will this logo be used for? Print / Screen?

Mind if I play with one?

Quicky samples.

Wow I liked those, actually I am going to PM you but nice stuff! What font is that?

edit: forgot to mention, this is strictly online, the client does not foresee any need for the logo to be on any print of any form.
    Last edited by ChaseNYC; 02-07-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    mmm signature

Nice mock ups there Nats. I really like the top right one. Great potential.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Wow, thank you so much pea! I take that as a huge compliment coming from you!
    These were literally just quickys though, I did them while munching my sandwich.
    Youre going to make me think I might actually have a little talent pea, careful

Chase, the font is arial / halleveta (sp?...damn maks.)

Still Nats for a quicky those are great. The spacing is right on The colors flow very well through the logo. The bottom left one grabs me as well. Not only are they simple yet effective, they also open up a door to page layouts and web page layouts. Good Job! I wouldn't mind seeing one inside a colored box but that is a personal taste thing.

Let's only hope your that good at all quicky erm . . . designs that you make.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;

LOL! The colour scheme was already there, so I cant take credit for that.
    Still, I think my ego just grew 3 notches. *IamnotworthyIamnotworthy*

Right, but you made it flow . I will say this. With it set up in the ways you have them, you loose the P to the third power effect. But, I think if marketed correctly it could still work.
    ------------------

Alright... I have been working on some stuff and certain aspects of what I'm doing are getting restricted because of client requests but can I get some feedback of how this logo fits into the top of this page? People's opinions of this logo, what can be done to make it better? >< this really isn't my strong point so bare with me!

by the way, the bottom half of the page doesn't look like that exactly anymore so try and focus on the top half of the page, and pea/natasia who have a better idea of what the website looks like, I hope to hear from you two...
    mmm signature

Chase .

The logo works and man do I hear you on the "client requests" bit. Limits sometimes push us to new limits but sometimes just make us miserable.
    The half circle is not centered and it is throwing things for me still. The menu I think should be left justified. Right now it looks more like content to read versus a menu (sorry I know you said not to look at that)
    lol I got to admit this looks somewhat along the lines of a style I used for a site I did probono recently http://www.dorchesterseniors.com/
    ------------------

i have to agree with pea here...however i have a new take and it doesn't have to do with layout...it's with look. (the comments should be in 'site check' rather than design, but hey, my marketing sense is tingling )

Your site that you're creating is for a "human resources" group. now Chase...do you think this site looks like it should be visited by professionals who are seeking advice for HR practices?

Now..i like the colors you've chosen for your logo. they're not only complimentary, they also POP. But here's some advice:

The Rounded Corners on every section of your site...it doesn't represent "professionalism". I see it more as a modern site that reaches out to younger people. Now i'm not saying rounded corners can't be professional, i just think the amount of roundness is too much.

Putting the logo in a half circle does almost the same thing. why not try putting that in more of a square layout?

Drop shadows on the text is a bit too much as well. try taking away that and left justifying the text.

Just another note on color. You don't have to use the same color of your logo on the whole site. try toning the colors down into pastels or less saturation on the graphics parts of your site to pop the logo out more and draw more focus on your purpose of the site. I guess that means you might be able to tone down the gradients as well.

Hope this helps. and it's only what I see.

Thanks a ton for the feedback... It can be very hard to hear feedback that requires me to really go back to the drawing board and recreating the site but I am going to take it into consideration with my clients. Anyways, I do have a question, I probably know the answer to this one but is it a problem that the side links (the blue gradient) do not line up with the top navigation bar?

My other concern right now is that the logo and left side bar are using Helvetica Neue, while the top Nav texts are using Impact, and you can't see here but the actual site text is Verdana. I've heard 3 is the maximum amount of different fonts one should use for a site, is three pushing it or acceptable, especially since Helvetica and Verdana are quite similar?
    mmm signature

I would stick to one san seriff, one seriff, and possibly a script font (which you would actually need to make an image of, so it would be used sparsley). Just my opinion..

Also I do aggree with lefteye about the look and feel. Your layout looks more xpish and less corporate/professional. I figured that was what your client had in mind. I'll look for some good examples later tonight.
    ------------------

sorry to push the point, thanks again for the feedback, is it an issue that the left navigation bar doesn't line up with the top nav?

My only problem is I'd love to use helvetica neue for the site's text, only problem is doesn't the text of HTML pages, not images need to be fonts they already have? is there a way to embed them or something? I think I need to read up on my font knowledge, I have taken some typography courses but barely remember a thing from them...

-ChaseNYC
    mmm signature

hey,
    I think that the left navigation bar doesn't line up with the top navigation panel but I like the rest of it. I think that the green and blue really go together.

Nice job.

Chase, sorry for not posting examples yesterday, I never made it back to a computer. As for your font question you are right, they have to have to font already in regards to a straight html page. I'm pretty sure you can imbed fonts with css and i'm sure there are other ways but, why. Helvetica and veranda are pretty close like you said. Most windows boxes won't have these fonts and will be replaced with arial or something of that nature. still pretty close. It is just one of the pains of web design i'm affraid.
    ------------------

Thanks pea, no need to apologize, you have been more than helpful! The client seems set on the rounded corners so I guess it's going to stay that way. Once again thanks to everyone who has helped me with this process!

ChaseNYC
    mmm signature