A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: using movies in flash

using movies in flash

I'm working on a project that requires the use of videos in flash and I want to know how to optimize performance from my program. As of now, flash does a bad job of handling videos, and I really need to boost flash's performance. PLEASE HELP!

Background:
    -The video files can be in any format that flash accepts.
    -The video files do NOT contain audio.
    -Each video is around 10MB-20MB.
    -The user needs to be able to drag a slider bar to move backwards and forwards through the movie files timeline.
    -The videos need to be loaded externally/dynamically.
    -I need to be able to overlay arrows that point to certain things in the movie that are tracking, and that can be turned on and off.

Problem:
    As of now, flash is pretty slow in handling the movie files both loading and playing them. I took avi (or mpeg? doesnt really matter though) files and loaded them into flash. I added the arrows and labels to track certain things in the movie. These tracking items could be turned on and off by code. Then I exported each individual movie as a swf that could be loaded and controlled by a main program (swf). A slider bar controls the current frame of the movie. Basically, my code for that, is:

movieFrame=(totalMovieFrames)*xLocationofSlider/widthOfSliderBar
    //its just says that the ratio of the movies current frame to its total frames
    //is the same as the ratio of the sliders position to the width of the
    //bar it drags along

Moving forward through the movie was reasonable, but the program slowed to a crawl moving backwards through the movie. I don't know how to traverse the movie any faster. Please help me optimize this!

I think you might have better luck here than in Art & Animation.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..