A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hosting Thread

Finding the right Host

I'm going to be launching my site and need to choose a Host. Trying to do research on the web for this topic is difficult. I don't know enough to know what I'm looking for. Could you provide any insight, possibly a informative site about web hosting, Hosts that you use and why, what you look for in a Host. My current site is all Flash with light to mid animations and a portfolio section, probably very similar to most portfolio and design company sites found here at Flash Kit. Thanks for the help.

One day older, one day wiser rafiki55's Avatar
    Okay I feel for all the newbies looking for hosting, as I was one of you not so long ago. I am no expert, but I hope I may help..

SOME TIPS

1. Expensive hosting does NOT = good hosting.
    You may be thinking that a $29.99 per month hosting is better than a $9.99 host. This is not true at all...but be wary of very cheap hosts, which leads to tip #2

2. Be very wary of VERY cheap hosts
    If it sounds too good to be true, than it usually is. Hosting is a business and like any other business, it's there to make money. You can not make money on hosting if you're only chargine 99 cents a year...no matter what they say. It's impossible...in the long run, you will not be satisfied and you will be lacking some sort of service (i.e after a crash or tech support..etc.) In the long run it is not worth it.

3. Do not sign on with hosts that offer "unlimited bandwidth"
    These "unlimited bandwidth" or "unmetered bandwidth" are usually scams and not what they appear to be. Often sites that offer theses, will often have small print that says something like "must be resonable amounts of bandwidth and maybe be shutdown at the descresion of the host" or something to that effect. There is no such thing as unlimited. They can not offer it to you , so don't try to buy it. Once again it does not make business sense to give anyway unlimited amounts of bandwidth for nothing....they simiply can't make money that way.

WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR?

6. LOOK FOR GOOD SUPPORT !!!!!!!
    I cannot stress this anymore. Good support will make or break your host. If a problem comes up, you will need support to help you and that they should. IMHO, the #1 thing I look for is how good is the support? Are they knowlegable? Are they friendly? Before signing up with a host, ask them lots of questions...if they seem annoyed or rude, blunt or unhappy, I would find another host. You are the one with the $$ and they should be happy to help you. Your host should be knowledgable and VERY helpful. Personally I find a host that uses an Instant Messaging (aol, msn, icq, yahoo, etc.) is VERY helpful as you can get your help in right away. I think you should definately look for a host with a 1-800 or IM technical support.

5. ASP, PHP, MYSQL, I'M LOST....WHAT DO I NEED?
    Well this all depends...but I would start by identifying your needs. Ask yourself, what is this site for? Well, if it's a personal portfolio site, then you'll most likely need basic hosting no extras. If you're other languages such as PHP, ASP, Python, ect....then be sure to ask your host if you can host those. If you have a business site and you need a database, then you might need a database (mysql or other). Once again ask your host...they should be very helpful, and if they are not, then you're with the wrong host.

6. How much bandwidth do I need?
    Once again it all depends...it seems most people offer estimate their bandwidth needs. If you have video on your site , then obviously you'll need more bandwidth. Take the size of all your images/downloads on your site then multiply the # of users that you have. That should give you a good estimate...probably more than enough. (remeber most images are loaded only once per visit as they are stored in the cache) HTML files are pretty small and usually don't need to be caculated in to this...inless you have a lot of text.

For a personal site 1GB - 5 GB is usually a good range for bandwidth. Maybe 10GB if you have lots of photos. And maybe 15BGB -20GB if you have lots of video and/or visitors. Once again it depends on your own site. Do not be afraid to buy too little bandwidth as you can always upgrade later...or if you go over the limit, you should be charged anywhere between $1 to $5 per extra GB. (You are being over charged if you are being charged over $5)

7. Dedicated or Shared IP hosting?
    For most users a shared IP will be most usefull/cost efficent. Shared IP hosting is where more than one user is one on ip/server. So if your domain will be hosted on something like http://192.25.42.11/~admin11 and on that same IP there will be differnt users too such as http://192.25.42.11/~admin12 and http://192.25.42.11/~admin13 and so on. While on a dedicated server the IP is used only by you.
    CONFUSED?!?!
    To your visitors, it will all look the smae and not make any difference. Most new users will use shared hosting. There are a few instances where you'll need a dedicated IP (aka dedicated hosting) is if you're doing Ecommerce and accepting credit cards....ask your host for more help.

9. Pay by the year or by the month?
    Most companies will offer you a discount if you pay for the hosting every 6 months or once a year. I would usually pay monthly and not anuually or semi-annually as you never know what will happend to the company. They could disappear and you're left with no host and out $*** of dollars. I would suggest pay by the month to be safe and if you really want, after being with the host for a while ,you can ask them for a discount as you are a loyal customer.

10. 30 Day money back garuntee..I'm safe...WRONG
    Most sites will have a 30 day, if unhappy money back...this often gives a false sense of security. Know that this does not always mean you'll get your money back and if you do, it may be a long fight. Don't sign with a company soley b/c of their garuntee. If you are scammed and do not receive your hosting and/or your host is unreasonable, the best way to get your money back is to phone your credit card company and ask for a "charge-back"...you usually have 30 to 60 depending on the company to do this.

8. Some last points and my own choices
    -Ask your host lots of questions. If they seem like they don't know what they are talking about or if they seem rude, find a different one.
    -Make sure their technical support is good
    -Do not go for too cheap or too expensive.... for the average user a $8 - $15 a month is usually a good range for a price for the average host...but it does vary from person to person.
    -Webhostingtalk.com is a great resource to find more help and a host and to learn more about hosting.
    -MY CHOICE FOR HOSTING...*WARNING PLUG*

For very cheap, basic hosting Doteasy is pretty good (yes i get referal). $25 a year for a domain name and hosting for a yearm, cheaper if you buy more years. Once again VERY basic, no PHP, SSI or anything fancy. You get 1GB of bandwidth (not a lot, but good enough for most personal sites adn some business sites) and webbased email. I used this for my first hosting as it was cheap and it was easy to use and was good enough for my needs. I'm still with them as they are cheap.

[edit] I have removed my original suggestion for a host as they have no gone down the tube. Unfortunately they have gotten too many customers and have grown too fast. They are no longer able to keep up with customer support and service.

Well *breath* that's about it. I hope that gives you all some help and sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes. Cheers!

-Robert
    Last edited by rafiki55; 04-23-2003 at 06:58 PM.

Experthost is my hosting company

The company that I go through is www.experthost.com - they seem to be quite fast here in Minneapolis, but part of that could be the close proximity. They are hosted out of Canada...

Anyway, the thing to do with them is sign up as a reseller - all info and tech support goes through you. They're really good about getting back to you via email (I don't know about phone, since I don't have one)and fixing any problems that arise. Right now I'm paying about $10 US for each site that I have with them - my customers pay me 19.95 and seem okay with it, so it's money in my pocket each month.

They also have a trial account that you can sign up for to test them out (tech support as well) so you know what you're getting into. They also do domain registrations for 8.99 or something a year.

My 2 cents

HereNT
    Jeremy Werst
    jeremy@rockstar-design.com

Best free host : www.brinkster.com

(only downside is you have to upload files individually, but a good bonus is that you can use URL redirection)

Excellent, cheap, reliable host with all the features you'd expect/need and unlimited space : www.wiserhosting.com

Last edited by Elastikman II; 01-24-2003 at 12:20 PM.

What are their Stats tools

Someone here recommended phpwebhosting.com, and I was very happy with the speed, and the extras it offered my customers like unlimited email boxes, forwarding, and sub-domains.

Now,however,I discover the benefits of better statistics tools. For the same price, the local company gives a webtrends report which is far more useful than the webalyzer 2.1 stats that phpwebhosting gives.

So, I'm again looking for hosts...

Isn't there a matrix somewhere?

FREE?

are there any free php, asp, perl, sites???
    but a good domain one is www.dot.tk thats very good
    but are there any free hosting things that support asp, php and perl

i use http://www.dot.tk they give u virtual domain and email for free, so u can have www.mydomain.tk and ur email could be me@mydomain.tk so when someone type in www.mydomain.tk that what it shows in the url, but it acually loads like a brinkster, geocities site, or whateva other accounts u have. And for the email it actually sends it to another email account. but u can buy the domain for like $9 a year, so thats good.
    And i was wondering if theres any free sites that i could use to put php, asp, and xml files on

What about a good Real Music/Video Streaming hosting????

I have 2 sites on http://dollarhosts.com and the service & server has been very good for me. They offer free domain too.
    Special Offer - $2.5 Per Month
    Basic Package - $6.37 Per Month

trustedwebhost.com

hi. I came across www.trustedwebhost.com . Now, their packages SEEM very good, but I've been there before First of all, has anyone had any experience with them (good or bad)? Also, if you could, does anyone know about a good host with about 100 gigs of bandwidth per month that isn't too expensive (I know, doesn't sound too possible)? I have a host that I really like right now ( www.dreamhost.com ), but unfortunately, for my site, their bandwidth is just WAY too low. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thank you VERY much,

Dewman

Re: trustedwebhost.com

Originally posted by dewman
    hi. I came across www.trustedwebhost.com . Now, their packages SEEM very good, but I've been there before First of all, has anyone had any experience with them (good or bad)?
    I would be very weary of "trusted web host"...they ofer you "unlimited" bandwidth.

Exert from my previous post

3. Do not sign on with hosts that offer "unlimited bandwidth"
    These "unlimited bandwidth" or "unmetered bandwidth" are usually scams and not what they appear to be. Often sites that offer theses, will often have small print that says something like "must be resonable amounts of bandwidth and maybe be shutdown at the descresion of the host" or something to that effect. There is no such thing as unlimited. They can not offer it to you , so don't try to buy it. Once again it does not make business sense to give anyway unlimited amounts of bandwidth for nothing....they simiply can't make money that way.
    It's impossible for someone to offer you unlimited amounts of bandwith...can you really offer unlimited of anything? Also, having "unlimited bandwidth" suggest that they do not have a good business plan, which will lead to problems down the road. Most of these do not last very long at all. I would strongly advise you not to sign up with them or any other company offering "unlimited" bandwidth.

Please note:
    https://registrar.godaddy.com/whois....DWEBHOST%2ECOM

They are a new company as you can see they registered on Jan 18 03. Further more, on their website they seem to mislead you with "Copyright © 1994-2003 Trusted Web host, Inc. All rights reserved" 1994? They haven't even been around 2 months!!

If you are still considering them....please try giving them a call (I would, but the toll free doesn't work in Canada) and ask them about their "unlimited" bandwidth ...ask if you would be allowed to transfer 100 terabytes a day (if they say no, complain about how they are false advertising and you want your unlimited ) and ask how fast their connection is (proving that it is not possible for you to transfer 100 terabytes in a day). I'd like to see their response.
    Last edited by rafiki55; 03-08-2003 at 06:19 PM.

ok, thank you! you solved that matter for me. Would you or anyone else happen to know of a relativly inexpensive host with about 80 gigs of bandwidth per month? I currently have everything I need BUT the bandwidth. Any ideas?

Thanks again,
    Dewman

I do not know of one...but I'm sure the ppl at Web Hosting Talk . com will be able to help you out. Good Luck.

mentioned earlier, phpwebhosting.com really is great. I think the earlier comments about "don't trust unlimited BW" are valid, in terms of logical argument, that is, but it does seem php is an exception. The reality is that by far most sited don't use the max BW, php's policy is, basically, they're not going to worry about it, but if you try to be a multimedia site with ten thousand daily customers, sure, they can and will cut you off.
    Here's the REAL test. If a service is solid (enough machines and a connection that pumps) they won't be afraid to post their client sites. php does this right up front. Alot of them. You can go to ten or twenty, or more, and get a good feel for the speed...
    They are very fast.
    I have a DSL connection, and sometimes am frustrated when I get slow-loading/ slow playing. Of course, I often have to go in and make sure there is nothing in my own machine causing "slows", but basically I have found that the culprit is usually the server (or something relating to pipes, over which no one really has any control)
    I always use Ebay as a benchmark, or Google. These guys have so much "push power" behind their operations that you can assume if they come in slow there is probably some (usually very short-lived) pipes issue happening in your general area....

Originally posted by mx_kid
    or just go with these guys - top notch, low price

http://www.xstreamhost.com

EXCELLENT prices, and quick support, i got answered within 1 minute :d currently having some domain problems tho, possibly just my POS pc.
    The War Is Over.
    (If you want it to be)
    - Paul McCartny And John Lennon

featureprice.com

Beware of featureprice.com. I hosted with them for 2 years and it was great, but then I set up a client with them and the nightmare began...
    We were with them for 3 months and I still could not view the webpage. The nameservers were wrong and there was no access for me to correct them. I sent numerous emails to thier helpdesk (they were no longer taking support via phone unless you paid extra for it – don't go changing a policy in mid stream) the only responses I recieved from the helpdesk was that the nameserver was wrong. When I finally got a response about changing the nameserver info they directed me to enom.com (thier bulk registrar) who quickly replied that it was featureprices responsibility. After 3 months of BS I had my client cancel and fight to get thier money back.

In addition to this nameserver problem, I experienced that my control panel was changing on a daily basis as they updated the system trying to work out bugs... I bet they are still TRYING to work out the bugs. I feel it's an unprofessional practice to throw people into a system that was obviously no thought out or tested.

I am now with whizhost.com (myself and my client) and so far the only problem I've had is that my perl scripts aren't working and they haven't replied to my questions regarding it. They use the Plesk 5.02 (me thinks)
    ellin

Originally posted by Robert99
    mentioned earlier, phpwebhosting.com really is great. I think the earlier comments about "don't trust unlimited BW" are valid, in terms of logical argument, that is, but it does seem php is an exception. The reality is that by far most sited don't use the max BW, php's policy is, basically, they're not going to worry about it, but if you try to be a multimedia site with ten thousand daily customers, sure, they can and will cut you off.
    Here's the REAL test. If a service is solid (enough machines and a connection that pumps) they won't be afraid to post their client sites. php does this right up front. Alot of them. You can go to ten or twenty, or more, and get a good feel for the speed...
    They are very fast.
    I have a DSL connection, and sometimes am frustrated when I get slow-loading/ slow playing. Of course, I often have to go in and make sure there is nothing in my own machine causing "slows", but basically I have found that the culprit is usually the server (or something relating to pipes, over which no one really has any control)
    I always use Ebay as a benchmark, or Google. These guys have so much "push power" behind their operations that you can assume if they come in slow there is probably some (usually very short-lived) pipes issue happening in your general area....
    Yes this may be true, but it's still a risky business. What they are doing is overselling themselves (which is what a lot of cheaper hosting places do). If a lot of their clients decide to use a lot of bandwith...but still reasonable amounts...then it is unlikely that their servers could handle it. Yes, it's a good deal, if not everyone uses a lot of bandwidth...but the second a lot of users start using a decent amount, problems arise.

It's a gamble between price and reliability. With more expensive hosts, you know that they can handle your 20GB of bandwidth or whatever....as they only sell as much as they can offer (although not always the case). A good host will not oversell their services. So in the end it really comes down to a guessing/gambling game. Cost v.s. reliability.

Personally I like the security of knowning everyone has an allotted amount of everything.

Thanks for the link

I gotta say, thanks for the link to webhostingtalk.com. I wish I knew about that when I signed up for a reseller account with a certain hosting provider (that truly sucks). I am in the process of cancelling my reseller account with the current one, and I am going to go with lnc-hosting.com, they come recommended by several members at WHT.

Anyone have anything to add about lnc-hosting? Or maybe refer me to a really good win2000 HSP with reseller accounts?
    Flipsideguy

Try Infinities.com

they offer coldfusionMX, .net, asp, PHP, MYSQL all on the same account. Its the premium account and it $20.00 a month and they give you 2 months free for every client you send them. I must have 30 clients their. I have been living on free hosting for 2 years so far and I have 3 personal websites running on them.

Just let me know if you use them so I can get 2 more months free.

a little hosting question

well, a little question:

what do u think of tera-byte as a hosting company? is it any good? i've seen their prices and they're cheap, but....are they good?

http://www.tera-byte.com/hosting.cgi
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.