A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hosting Thread

No idea but I can suggest either:

nozol.com

OR

xsession.com

I've had really good experiences with both. I suppose it also depends on what you need out of them as well.
    http://www.biggestapple.net

homepageuniverse.com

Aimed at novices but they deliver and have good support...

Robb
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Footer, I reviewed Tera-Byte. Good choice.

Also, if you are thinking about signing up on Edgehost based on my review. Hold off for three days, they are having lots of problems right now, and in three days the owner said they will announce something that "I should like".
    John Starkey: So what if I have had sexual relations with Saddam.

Looking for a webhost, paid, free, or dedicated? Check out this thread, to get my reviews.

I currently have hosting from www.darkfiles.net and I'm not saying they are bad, but a few people have told me their servers are slow when visiting my site (i cant tell b/c i have a messed up cable modem that goes out all the time and has unpredictable speeds, never get road runner...but thats beside the point). their hosting is pretty cheap. you get 500mbs space, 8gbs transfer for $3/month, thats why i originally signed up with them. But now that my design studio is starting up, we're thinking of moving to another host to host all our sites (studios site, portfolios of members...)

I'm not asking for a good host b/c i have a few in mind, but what i would like to know is how i can change my domain name to be under my name instead of theirs. when i did a whois on www.mg315.com, i got this:

Registrant Contact: Darkfiles.NET Mike Smith (webmaster@darkfiles.net) 206-282-1900 FAX: 206-282-1900 2326
    West Emerson St n/a Seattle, WA 98199 US

this is b/c when i first bought hosting i asked him to get the domain for me. i sent him $10 and he did it. now i'm worried that if i want to change hosts and cancel my hosting with him, he'll just keep the domain. so is there a way i can get him to transfer the name over to me?
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

Featureprice.com

I noticed that someone else reported problems with featureprice as a host. I currently have a client's site hosted there and I'm going to have to move it. We've had a longrunning problem getting one of the nameservers changed and now we're having major email problems: my client isn't getting his (and I can't access it either)!
    I switched to featureprice on the reccomendation of Flashkiters about 18 months ago and at the time it was great, the customer support was fantastic and the price was right.
    Now I'm turning to you guys again in hopes you can point me in the right direction for another switch. Who are people using now that they are really happy with? I know that the quality of services goes up and down in the industry and you basically have to assume that every six months to two years you're going to have to reevaluate your hosting plan which is why I would like to know what is working well for people right now and how long you've been using that hosting company?
    Thanks so much!
    barrie

Re: Featureprice.com

Originally posted by beeready
    I noticed that someone else reported problems with featureprice as a host. I currently have a client's site hosted there and I'm going to have to move it. We've had a longrunning problem getting one of the nameservers changed and now we're having major email problems: my client isn't getting his (and I can't access it either)!
    I switched to featureprice on the reccomendation of Flashkiters about 18 months ago and at the time it was great, the customer support was fantastic and the price was right.
    Now I'm turning to you guys again in hopes you can point me in the right direction for another switch. Who are people using now that they are really happy with? I know that the quality of services goes up and down in the industry and you basically have to assume that every six months to two years you're going to have to reevaluate your hosting plan which is why I would like to know what is working well for people right now and how long you've been using that hosting company?
    Thanks so much!
    barrie
    www.namehog.net

UK based but I think they host international sites. Had two very minor problems in about 5 years and they were resolved quickly and with the minimum of fuss. definetely worth a look, very cheap too.
    Living the dream

I've got two. One is UK based (not that it's a real issue) callled:
    xsession They've been listed in Internet Magazine's top 50 hosts for the past three years running.

The other I use is : Nozol Their servers are in California. I have never encountered faster customer service. I'm putting up a new site with them at the moment as a matter of fact. If you're interested I can give you the e-mail of the guy who runs it. He'll certainly take care of anything you need, and at very cheap prices.

Thanks guys!

Did you all know that apparently (according to people on webhostingtalk.com who have had a LOT of problems w/ FP) the Florida Attorney General is investigating featureprice?

I would love to have the Nozol guy's email since I have a bit of an issue w/ transferring the domain (the contact email on the administrative contact on the domain I need to move is the domain's email so I will really need a new host who is willing to go above and beyond to help me get it transferred.

Barrie

Good value PHP/MySQL supported hosting

Does anyone know of CHEAP web host that offers PHP and MYSQL???

(Before you ask, I have seen the 'Hosting thread to end all hosting threads, but it's way too long to read everything!!!)

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar

Re: Good value PHP/MySQL supported hosting

Originally posted by Elastikman II

(Before you ask, I have seen the 'Hosting thread to end all hosting threads, but it's way too long to read everything!!!)
    It's all there for you my son... all you need is the drive to want to take it.

Featureprice, the newest problem: Go Daddy

I meant to hit reply and apparently hit 'new' and someone (helpfully?) moved my post to 'General Help' for which some aspects of the post would probably be more appropriate but since part of my post was thanking the people on this thread for their help with my FP problem and requesting some additional help I thought I would post the link back to this thread:
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=457388

thanks,
    Barrie

Re: Good value PHP/MySQL supported hosting

Originally posted by Elastikman II
    Does anyone know of CHEAP web host that offers PHP and MYSQL???

I'll have mercy on you. Here you are

Well, there does not appear to be a solution to me problem with Go Daddy. Several people have tried to solve the problem for me to no avail. One of them did determine that GD blocks access to the rctphost file which might, apparently, make it impossible to access email from Outlook (or any other email client?) I can't really verfiy that because I just don't know enough about it.

I would like to say that GD does state on their site that they offer POP3 email and even have a link to a tutorial on how to set up an account in Outlook Express (yes, I followed the instructions on that, triplechecked all my settings and verified them w/ GD, etc.)

Go Daddy gets a big fat D- in my book and anyone considering them as a host should be aware that they very well might not be able to access their email from anything other than a browser.

Now, the search for yet another host begins. Has anyone heard anything about www.cyberservers.net? They look reasonable and one of the people who was really trying to help me with my email problem works for them (or owns them, not sure which.) But...I did check out GD before switching to them and no one had a single bad thing to say about them until after I posted my problem to a couple of forums (someone else posted that they had the exact same email problem) so I'd like to know about cyberservers problems BEFORE moving my domain to their servers if at all possible<g>

Thanks!
    Barrie

Analog-Hosting.com can give you 20 gigs of bandwith and a gig of space for 5$/month if you email them...

www.webspace1.com very reliabel I get a 100% uptime, and it has php and scripts already installed. all of the packages are reasonably priced with large amounts of bandwidth.

info on what was once FeaturePrice
    yes, incase you don't already know FeaturePrice is no longer

check this out, I received an e-mail from the former CEO (prior to all the problems) this link explains the down fall of the company

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/fp/fpinformation/_

also for ex-customers of FP they are offering:

As a special offer to Feature Price customers, IX Web Hosting is offering the SAME hosting plans that you were subscribed with at Feature Priceand will provide compensationof 3 months of free hosting for your hosting term, but with more features, higher configurability and better billing terms (you can pay quarterly, semi-annual, or for discounts: annual or for 2-years).
    ellin

These guys are excellent

http://www.i-tec.co.uk/index.php
    Theyre very affordable, reliable, and honest.
    I recently had to get a clients site online by 4.00pm on a wednesday, and didnt order the domain and hosting until 9.00pm on the tuesday, and as promised everything was ready to use by noon on the wednesday.

They truly are amazing.

Hi, just wanted to share my experience with http://www.interserver.net i hosted with them for over a year, decent company, signed up two clients with them, decent, but a tad problematic in some downtime. support is ok, but nothing special, took some time to get back to me, using a ticket based support system. when i tried to call them personally (1-800) 7 times out of 10, someone who could answer my question was "unavailable" or "out for the day", so the ticket system was a better option.

from them, i've moved on, and now on http://www.mediatemple.net(currently rebuilding site) but so far i've had no problems testing my site, and setting up multiple sites from one hosting account. mediatemple (and i'm sure others) allow you to point two different domains to the same paid account, but gives them their own folder...for example, if you have a company site, and a personal portfolio type site, you can two different domains, sites, off one host, and no one would know the difference. At $5 a name, this is a pretty good deal, however the hosting isn't as cheap, but i think it's worth the money.

control panel (user interface) - interserver's was nice, easy setup of some things, too vague on others, could use some improvement, mediatemple's is wonderful, like it alot better

that's my two cents, hope it helps, my recommendation is go with mediatemple if you can afford it, otherwise shop around...

i hate to sound like just a competitor , but they seem to be down as of now .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dayana Host wouldnt be my first choice but for $60 seems alright youve got standard server side scripts and a bit of webspace and transfer not enough if you a busy site or if you want to host your whole project archive online but it seems ok for wot u pay.