A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Hosting Thread

I got turned on to Lunar Pages by a client. Cheap, reliable, cpanel, 1 click phpbb forum installation, all kinds of cool scripts that install easily, phone support. PHP, JSP*, ASP, & PERL 3000 Megabytes Storage, 40 Gigabytes Data Transfer, 7.95 a month.
    www.Southshoregraphics.com
    Web Design > Flash > Logos > Vector
    Amazing Web Hosting

reseller

a reseller account let you host (or sell space) to numerous clients... someone could probably expand further and better on this.

I do web design/maintence to a few clients that I also host. I'm curently using sb-host.com. So far I like them alot. It's c-panel and has fantistico (allows you to easily install and use alot of 3rd party stuff like guestbooks and etc.)

I had featureprice way back that craped out on me and then whizhost – same thing. I think if you get 2-3 good years at a low price, then you're doing well...

I've definately learned by trial and error that what you want and what you pay are directly related. I've gone the cheap route and have payed a little more each time, just cause the service gets better and the others have left me high and dry.

if you see this, you're doing your research and that's the first step.

I would (at the time of this post) highly recommend sb-host.com. The techs have always been there for me and they answer questions in thier forum.

good luck all.
    ellin

Hi do any of you use GoDaddy.com to host your site? If so which plan are you using? The Economy, Deluxe, or Premium Plan? Also do you use it with DreamWeaver? Isi it easy to get your Website from dreamweaver to Godaddy? Thanks for the help - Mike

TM- I used Go-Daddy a few years ago to host a couple sites... i think they are fine to register your domains... but as far as hosting I would go somewhere else. Check out some links in this thread.

RE DreamWeaver, it is pretty much the same no matter what host you use as long as your host provides FTP login.

web host with on site tech support

I have a client in Cleveland Ohio who needs a web host that can also provide onsite IT services for configuring Outlook email software.

My client needs a lot of handholding to get their email software configured. They have 20 personel in office who will need support. They do not have a dedicated IT service at this time, as far as I can tell.

I would host their site, but it is not practical for me to provide on site tech support because I live too far (1 hour drive) from their place of business.

Most of the web hosts I found so far do not seem to provide on site technical support.

Any suggestions where I might look, to find a suitable hosting service, or are there any Cleveland folks around here who might recommend a service? (I do want to avoid a service that tries to agressively take my business)

Quote Originally Posted by hp3
    My client needs a lot of handholding to get their email software configured. They have 20 personel in office who will need support. They do not have a dedicated IT service at this time, as far as I can tell.
    Isn't phone support sufficient for them. I mean you get almost with any decent web hosting package these days 24/7 phone tech support. And they walk you through configurations of email clients with no problem.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

So far, hands down, the best hosting I've used is through DreamHost
    It's unbelievable the amount of features they provide (plus Ruby on Rails support, for those who like it) for such a small price.

They're not a "rock bottom" wholesaler, but when you consider that you can have unlimited domains on one account, the breakdown gets VERY nice!

For example, right now they're offering
    UNLIMITED domains hosted
    15 subdomains
    20 GB Disk, 1 TB Transfer
    600 Mailboxes, 75 Shell/FTP Users
    for only $7.95 per month!

It's insane! PLUS, every week they increase your hosting by 50MB.
    They also have a great referral plan, where you can earn cash for referrals. Here's a shameless example, http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?jabezstone .... your code would have your own user name at the end.
    Last edited by JabezStone; 01-09-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JabezStone
    It's unbelievable the amount of features they provide (plus Ruby on Rails support, for those who like it) for such a small price.

They're not a "rock bottom" wholesaler, but when you consider that you can have unlimited domains on one account, the breakdown gets VERY nice!

UNLIMITED domains hosted
    15 subdomains

They also have a great referral plan, where you can earn cash for referrals. Here's a shameless example, http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?jabezstone .... your code would have your own user name at the end.
    I agree completely. Im using DreamHost right now and it's great. Theres so much space and it supports everything- PHP and MySql, .htaccess all the cool programming stuff and more.

Quote Originally Posted by JabezStone

UNLIMITED domains hosted
    15 subdomains

Jabez though I respect your opinion I signed up with dreamhost, and they are so undedependable it is pathetic. In the one month I been with them , my site has been down at least 2 times a day, and sometimes for hours. The database is even worse! They keep have server quota issues. I even upgraded to the package where they call you, I never got a phone call. There is no number to reach support, and when they are down, they dont tell anyone anything, so all of us custoemrs are sitting in a customer chat room *****in about how screwed up they are. When I get the money im soooo switching host. Worst host experience of my life.

p.s. That all happend when I launched my site. In one week 400 members or so and I was down 50% of the time! crazy
    UPS' official RIPP-OFF
    See full complaint here > www.actionfx.net/complaint.htm

Very cheap and reliable hosting

Does anybody know where i can find a cheap and good web hosting that supports ASP.Net? Right now, I use www.one.com but this doesn't support ASP.Net

I'm sorry but I just have to sing praises about my host for a moment.
    I've been with many hosts. Small, big, reseller what have you. They all had their good traits but no one got everything right. They either lacked features, slacked on upgrades, gave bad support or flat out sucked.

I had been eying Media Temple through out all of this thinking they were just too high end and expensive for my needs. After way too many head-aches I decided maybe the extra cost would be worth the stress relief. I couldn't have underestimated the benefits more.

After more than a year with (mt) I thought I was getting great service for 12 bucks a month. But after their new service upgrade, I'm beside myself. I've never seen any company try this hard, let alone a host. Which brings me to the reason for this endorsement.

Their new plan is off the hook! Just look at the control panel

What inspired this post is pretty cool too. With their recent move to the worlds fastest and most secure facility they built a brand new "grid" architecture care of bluearc. Unfortunately, the firmware bogged down the email layer and basically DOS'd themselves. They didn't skip a beat though, they sent out regular emails linking us to their RSS feed of the developments. Were talking every 20 minutes. I know for a fact that they worked as hard as possible to fix the problem and combined with the flawless service and tech support I just couldn't get mad. To top it off they just gave me two months free for the inconvenience. I'll never host anywhere else.

No I'm not getting a kickback, I'm just that impressed.

Web Hosting - Best one?

I need a standard web hosting plan also if possible a domain name registration?

Anyone help me out or recommend a good one and good price also -

www.hostrocket.com
    (I am an affiliate - using my link to register will help me out some )

Basically, I've been with them over 2 years, hosted multiple websites on my hosting plan and never had a problem. Infact, when I do get in touch, I can safetly say a reply is less than 2 hours away.

$4.95
    * Unlimited Bandwidth Limits
    * 25 GB RAID Protected Storage
    * Host 8 Websites Per Account
    * Advanced Web-Based Control Panel

* 24/7 Live Technical Support
    * Huge Pre-Installed Script Library
    * Money-Back Guarantee
    * Launch Your Site Today!

And the unlimited bandwidth is pretty good, not like most hosts cutting you off at 10gb or something.

Good luck either way

see sig... great plans and great uptime

thread merged

www.bluehost.com
    I use it and its great and cheap. £3/month £90/two years
    Free domain and loads of stuff and supports practically everything includes shell access
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I realize this is a HUGE question, but I need a place to start.

I'm trying to decide on a web host for a project and I'm overwhelmed by the number of choices.

I see hosts with 500GB of space for $3-$4 a month and hosts with 2GB of space for $30 - $50 a month?

The hosts that are $3-$4 a month have pretty people on their home pages and big splashy retail looking starburst price tags. The pricier ones look very stuffy and corporate and hide their pricing if they make it available at all.

Then I find these TOP 10 HOSTS REVIEWS sites with seemingly "to good to be true" hosting deals. They seem themselves to be competing for my attention. Can they be trusted?

Here's the *rough* low down on some of our requirements:

- I would like to easily install and implement open source CMS solutions like Drupal. (I want to use Drupal's web-community type features like user commenting, forums, etc.)

- We would like to stream 100s of 30-60 second videos via a streaming service, probably flash remoting

- We'd like to implement the Google Maps API (not sure if this even matters)

- NO ecommerce

- WE ARE NOT SURE about what our traffic needs will be to begin with, but if things go well, this will be significant. Any advise as to how to anticipate this figure would be greatly appreciated.

Flash remoting will cost you big big bucks. Unless you are a major television outlet or trying to compete with youtube (good luck)

You won't last a week on a 3 dollar a month site.
    Check the bandwith first the space second.

bah... we're not afraid of YouTube...

j/k, thanks for the input.