A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: For the Admins: The Flashkit Model

For the Admins: The Flashkit Model

I have been a fan of Flashkit for many years, although I am more of a browser than an active board member. Your site has helped me through many a projects.

Now I am seeking some administrative advice. I am in the process of developing a member-based website, much like Flashkit, that depends on the input of a constantly growing user base. The site is being developed as a resource for a major sport and will feature many of the same features as this site (ie Tutorials, guides, boards, etc.)

It will also be free for all members and rely on advertising to cover costs. At first the advertising would be CPC through Google, and then move to direct advertising hosting once the membership and usage is up.

What I am looking for is some start-up advice. How did Flashkit begin? Was it an individual or was is backed by a company? I am on my own, with a PHP developer at my side and I am looking for it to become a potential source of income.

How has Flashkit grown? Did you ever expect 600,000 users? What does the Flashkit operation look like from the administrative angle?

I am using many elements of Flashkit as a guide for my architecture, from nav to heirarchy, to organization. I hope that offers some form of flattery.

Any input would be appreciated- Jake

It’s a mystery wrapped in an enigma. It defies our natural laws of science.. but… here it is, burning bright and yellow as the Sun. Personally, I don’t get it.

The best one to answer your question would probably be Flashkit aka Mark Fennell , the creator of Flash Kit. He’s always around and easy enough to get a hold of. I’ve only been involved with Flash Kit since the latter part of 2004. And while the site has continued to grow in both members and profitability, I’m not certain what formula Mark used to launch it. My only goal is to keep dedicated, honest and reliable folks on our team. With that, everything else just comes together.

Personally, I would say hands down that the members of the community make the site. The members moderate it, they add 100% of the resources including tutorials, sounds, movies, fonts, images… everything. And while of course we have a paid staff to deal with the hardware, data, communications and overall integrity of the site, without the members, there would be no need for all these other people. You just need a good crew made up of folks with a real passion for what they are involved with as we had in the beginning of Flash Kit and continue to have to this day. That’s the draw so once you have that, then you have page views and page views sell ads and ads make money.

Good luck Jake!

I appreciate the feedback, Planet and have sent an email to Mark Fennell.

I will ask though, what does/did Flashkit do to get traffic to the site? My programmer and I are developing a feature endowed site which most enthusiasts to the sport will find extremely helpful, but it requires them to get to the site to begin with. Other than grassroot approaches like going to other sites and asking for outbound links, should I advertise through web banners, or press releases or what?

I am just in need of advice at every level... from creators to admins. And every response I get is greatly appreciated.

Jake