A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: its been a while... Speed test current flash project

Flying on Herbal Tea

its been a while... Speed test current flash project

Hihi, well its been over 2 years now since iv done any flash due to work and uni projects etc.. But one of this semesters classes is based on web and mobile games dev so i hit out with the old flash and have been working on this for the last 2 weeks.
    Its far far from finished but, before i go a step further and start adding enemies and so on, could you tell me how smooth it currently runs for you?
    Basically it seems fine on all my mates comps, apart from one who said its seemed sluggish...

Thanks inadvanced
    http://game.beakable.com

oh p.s if the game map doesnt load 1st time round, it may be delayed, maps read in from an xml file, which has php relaying the data from an sql database.
    Last edited by madmental; 02-22-2007 at 06:16 PM.

thanks inadvanced? you sayin im inadvanced?
    runs fine for me, why wouldnt it?

Flying on Herbal Tea
    ?
    my post states that for 1 of my friends it ran sluggish, e.g slow. As in when he moved the game had delayed reactions movement and animation wise.
    And oh, im not going to bother editing my previous post to put a space in between in and advanced.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    nope : it is indeed very sluggish - I would assume it also come for all those rings animations, as well as from some not-optimized yet code ?

Flying on Herbal Tea
    yeh lux, i thought it probably was the rings animation, but having had no one else say it was like that, and even having some of the oldest machines in uni up and running it smooth i wasnt sure if i could just blame his machine. Tis odd tho, since his cpu way outruns the average lab machine at uni...

mine does seem to jump to tiles, there's no smooth movement, there's also delays between some keypresses, probably indicating that the player is slow.

Didn't go round the whole map but maybe you need a GAS scroller to get rid of some of those outside tiles.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Flying on Herbal Tea
    hmm, currently just set it to have an inbetween point in the array, e.g tiles 4_4 to 14_14 are displayed, then 4_3 14_13 when the player moves up for isntance... thought id get away with it :P
    but kk seems the problem isnt just down to a single machine then thanks.

Runs pretty badly for me, the framerate seems inconsistent. You should try basing it on Tonypa's tutorials if you aren't doing that already:

http://tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/

For future reference, I've got Flash Lite 2.1 on my phone, and I reckon a lot of other FK'ers have Flash Lite capable phones, too. We could test out any mobile stuff you make, if you need us to.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Flying on Herbal Tea
    Dont think tonypas tile based tutorials would be much use to me now vengeance...
    i think the problems been resolved now anyway, and i think i can speed it up a bit more if i increase the effictiveness of how it checks if the tiles in view or not before attatching it. Still thanks for your suggestion with the tuts.

don't be a litter bug and remove and re-attach, re-use, re-cycle

take care of the enviroment and it'll take care of you
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

umm, the guy still shows the walking animation even when running into an impassable wall...

EDIT: if I may make a suggestion, the game plays like it doesnt really need so much of a tile system, you can make the background artbased
    if youre afraid of file size, you can render it right then and there from your map array
    Last edited by trogdor458; 02-22-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Flying on Herbal Tea
    trogdor did you read my original post? its _far far_ from complete, the only thing thats properly done is flash reading the xml map file which is created by php and an sql database. apart from flash displaying and giving basic player interaction with the map its no where near done.

hence the reason for tiles, also you cant show off to the lecturers with an art based map editor that saves online via a few of the langauges you know.
    Last edited by madmental; 02-22-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Flying on Herbal Tea
    hmmm fixed the movement code which no longer causes a delay when switching from direction to another direction, also optomized the redrawing of the viewable area code ever so slightly, tho it still needs an hours tweaking or so to get it to a finished state.

Like i said still no where near complete, but hopefuly it might be ever so slightly faster now?

The character still seems to skip to the tile when moving horizontal. It's almost like its movement speed isn't constant.

Yeah, the game is a little sluggish for me. It seems like it is really slow.

Perhaps adding a FPS counter into the corner or something?

System Specs:
    Windows XP Home
    512DDR
    Pentium M (1.6 Ghz)
    IE 7
    Flash Player 9b
    Post you game for free at Gamestack.org. We send the user straight to your website, no iFrames or other leeching methods.

Please check out Gamestack.org for more information.

System Specs:

Mac.
    You know you want to.

Flying on Herbal Tea
    okies this is it, iether the sluggish has got be gone or just ever so slightly existant or il be taking both my flash and I to a rope shop and ordering some fine polished noose cord...
    added in a fps counter, the swfs set to run at 20, i get mainly above 17, but has dropped to 14 when theres quite a lot of coins on the screen, but doesnt seem that badly noticeable...
    also note to self when you have 13 tabs open in firefox theres no excuse for spending 30mins wondering why youv suddenly dropped to 6fps.. . . .. .. .

Framerate's jumping all over the place for me. Get around 5 fps when moving, but it jumps to 11 and then back, and then to 7, blahdeblahdeblah. Seriously, it's not working, use Tonypa's engine instead.
    You know you want to.

Flying on Herbal Tea
    lol vegeance, thansk for the info on fps, but id rather work on my own code issues instead of copying some1 elses work. thanks tho.