A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: autorun a flash exe on a usb flash drive?

autorun a flash exe on a usb flash drive?

hi, anyone know how to autorun a flash exe (for pc) on a usb flash drive? is it possible?

thanks!

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    USB Storage - FAQ for Driver and Hardware Developers

Q: What must I do to trigger Autorun on my USB storage device?

The Autorun capabilities are restricted to CD-ROM drives and fixed disk drives. If you need to make a USB storage device perform Autorun, the device must not be marked as a removable media device and the device must contain an Autorun.inf file and a startup application.

That sounds promising, until you read the next couple of paragraphs...

The removable media device setting is a flag contained within the SCSI Inquiry Data response to the SCSI Inquiry command. Bit 7 of byte 1 (indexed from 0) is the Removable Media Bit (RMB). A RMB set to zero indicates that the device is not a removable media device. A RMB of one indicates that the device is a removable media device. Drivers obtain this information by using the StorageDeviceProperty request.

So it sounds like this would have to be done in the driver for the USB device that you wanted to make auto-runnable. The other solution is to install a special application (like AutoRun USB from http://www.torosoftware.com/autorun.asp), but that would require installing software on the machine before the autorun features of the USB drive would work.

I'm new to Flash and am looking at it for the purposes of an auto-run USB application. To answer your question you should check out www.u3.com or www.udrw.com - these companies are built around auto-run on USB drives.
    Last edited by MikD454; 03-01-2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: already found answer