A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Resolution For Fullscreen Widescreen Laptop?

will work for bananas

Resolution For Fullscreen Widescreen Laptop?

Just wondering if someone can help me out...

I've gotta develop a fullscreen animation that will be run on a widescreen laptop. In the past, I've just created the stage for the movie @ 1024x768 and used
    Code:
    fscommand("fullscreen", "true");
    to stretch it fullscreen.

The problem is that on a widescreen laptop, this leaves empty 'bars' on the left & right sides of the screen (like a widescreen movie on a fullscreen TV).

Can I use
    Code:
    fscommand("allowscale", "true");
    to scale this to fit a widescreen laptop properly? Or will it stretch everything out and make it look funny?

Or, can I just design the movie with a different stage size?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
    m

will work for bananas
    Anyone? Unfortunately I don't have access to a widescreen laptop to test on, so I was hoping someone could give me a couple of suggestions. I would think that it'd be possible to just create a stage size that's 16:9 right (something like 1366 x 768?)

you can use a combination of those.. to:

1.) have the STAGE be full size and take up the whole browser window...

2.) lock your MOVIE to original size it was designed at.. keeping all images and object in correct proportions...

3.) you can also register object to align themselves according to the stage..top/bottom left/right...etc. even when the stage is resized

allowScale
    fullScreen
    Stage.align
    Stage.onResize

in my footer is a link where you can get an demo file on how this works..

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...ghlight=resize

will work for bananas
    Thanks a ton for the reply whispers! Can you answer one more question... If I were to do it with the STAGE set to be full size, what size would I use for the widescreen display?

Also, I should have noted that this is going to be a standalone project - no browser windows.

Thanks again,
    m

you dont assign a 'size'... it will fit the 'window/screen'

when you create the actual movie in Flash.. pick a size that will for SURE fit inside the dimensions..

did you look at the demo .fla??

try and resize the browser... drag it and such.. the movie inside is STLL the same size I created it at.

will work for bananas
    I did look at the demo.fla, but I don't think it really applies to what I'm doing. Sorry if I'm coming across as a complete n00b, but I'm trying to just have the movie run at fullscreen using the fscommand - I don't need to worry about it resizing and such in different windows.

I think maybe what I'm looking for is the actual dimensions that I would use to create the movie so that when I use 'fscommand "fullscreen"', it appears without the 'bars' on the side. I assume that if I use a different 'ratio' than 1024 x 768, it should work fine with a widescreen monitor.

will work for bananas
    I just got a chance to check out one of the laptops that'll be running the animation, and the screen resolution is 1280 x 800. I would assume this is 16:9? I don't know how they come up with the ratio #s.

Anyway, I would think this should work for me - creating the movie's stage @ 1280 x 800 and then getting the .exe to run fullscreen via fscommand.

will work for bananas
    Ok,... I just tried out a test with it, and it works perfectly (for what I need).

Thanks for your help whispers!