A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] [test]l337 Ninja

[F8] [test]l337 Ninja

Hey guys,

I've been working on a little 2d side scrolling action game, and while its obviously not close to completion (I have much to add) I finally got the player movement working perfectly, and the AI for one of the enemies is completely done.

http://users.wpi.edu/~pgibler/Game/Game.html

I don't expect it to run fast, but it should be 30 fps. God, I can't wait for AS3...

If you could all post some comments I'd love to hear your thoughts on my game

Yeah it's alright, nice start.

There's not much to comment on, but you know, more enemies, power-ups etc.
    AS3 is already out btw.

hmmm, power-ups eh? I dunno, my plan was never to have powerups ^^;; Well, maybe I will put them in, if you think my game could use them, although I'm really trying to make my game based more on timing and proper use of moves (i.e. you get bonuses for using a variety of moves and get health/energy bonuses for combos)

I'm also kind of stumped at what other kind of enemies I'm going to have. I do plan on duplicating the stock enemy ninjas twice and making the second and third tier faster/more health/more damage, and I'm also probably going to put in enemies that fly around and shoot missles at you, but I could really use some suggestions for other stuff to include.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I enjoyed it, for what it is right now. I think the basic controls need a bit of work (personally I'd use awd instead of asd because it's just a better fit for your hand). Either way, it's nice. Not too much slowdown either, a not bad 22-24 fps on a POS labtop. Oh and if you drew the sprites, nice job. If not, please pass on my regards.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

The special was cool and the animations/sprites were aswell. There isn't much else to comment on.

Giblaz,

So far I liked it, even though it went on and on and on. It was pretty fun just killing the enemies.

Good job!
    Post you game for free at Gamestack.org. We send the user straight to your website, no iFrames or other leeching methods.

Please check out Gamestack.org for more information.

Thanks for the comments guys

ImprisonedPride - I did not draw the sprites. Coding is quite a time consumer, so I pretty much have to 'borrow' most of my art from older games (in this case, Fire Emblem on the SNES). I'm a darn good artist, but I lack a Wacom tablet, and drawing with a mouse is just unbearable. Its too bad, I would've enjoyed drawing all of the animations.

SaphuA - yeah, I probably should have waited until I added more features before showing it. My next test release won't be until I have most of the basic game structure done.

mickm - Thanks for the comment! My goal of the game is basically for the player to just enjoy jumping around and killing the enemies.

One question - is porting my game over to AS3 going to give me serious boosts in speed on internet browsers? or is the common inexperience with it enough to render my question invalid for now?

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    It really depends on how efficient you code. For now I wouldn't worry too much.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Giblaz. AS3 is a totally different language. Its not as simple as copy and pasting it over and then changing a few things, youll probably need to find some tutorials first.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."