A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game for fun, not income

Game for fun, not income

Hi guys, well I am once again trying my hand at an rpg.

But spending some time on this one. I am using external models, and fileing system, pretty much everything in my game is going to be kept server side until the first time you see it. (i.e. a wolf, the first time you come across it will be loaded to your comp, then there for later reference)

This is my plan to get around huge download times. I have big plans for this and have already been doing some battle and world tests and there coming out pretty well.

This is of course going to be a top down down view rpg.

My character selection screen is 3 mb, I plan to have a user login/sign up screen before it, were you would need to create an account before you play, obviously free, but this way you can keep track of your characters and save them as well. So I figure this will give plenty of time for the 3 mb character selection to load to your machine upon first play, after that its there for future reference.

I will be posting more soon, but I dont want to rush it and want a full first 5 levels and quests done before I post the game. But I thought you all might find this interesting....

which leads me to my topic.... All I am hoping for out of this game is a learning experience in using external file systems and server connections, oh, AND NOT GET SUED.

http://www.creativededication.com/pr...raft/play.html
    3 mb no pre-loader=/ and no male characters yet.

I figure if problems do arrise, I can always take out all wow models and replace with my own, should be easy enough, but time consuming, and wont be such an attention grabber. (looks pretty damn good if i do say so m self) almost just like the original

comments?
    Last edited by everfornever; 03-08-2007 at 03:07 AM.

Oh did I mention, I am making this for fun, not trying to be some wow enthusiast and trying to make some kind of noobish crap.

I am just curious how well I could recreate something like this, and also with such a huge muse it should really help me to learn about making rpg's by following there steps, and having something to hold my hand along the way.

Its more or less for learnign purposes and fun.

Please dont hate on me for choosing wow, I personally dont play it naymore and find it quite gay, but I have all the cd's (and thus all there models) yay 3ds max

AND I ADDED A PRE-LOADER, its so gay of me to not have one even for something like this
    Last edited by everfornever; 03-08-2007 at 03:18 AM.

dang no edit button............ come on

anyway, it.s only 925 kb

sorry bout the mis post earlier I took some stuff out

So I'm guessing this is a preview of what your currently working on, rather then looking for a partership, correct??

From the preview, there's not a whole lot to comment on (because there's no real game yet, as you said yourself), and I've never played WoW(and dont plan to), so I cant really compare the two character selection screens (if your planning to make this a flash clone of WoW).

Because of these reasons I'm just going to say: So far it looks great, it's user friendly, everything is spaced out well and loading the character models was excellent if I had previously loaded them before (otherwise it only took a few seconds to load).

Dont take this the wrong way, but this seems like a fairly daunting task, or at the least will be quite a time consumer.
    However, you have made a short RPG game before (which was quite nice) and you dont have unrealistic expectations of the game, so in that case: Good luck

Viza

well i can't say much.

If its for non profit then i guess the sue thing won't be a problem.

Are you going to export animations (top down) from Max into flash?

and have you got the engine working? I'd say these graphics are going to be the least of your problems, but hey, i think you've advanced since "Lost" so having another attempt is good.

good luck
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

well yes I have made a battle system, im kind of happy with the way its going right now, I got a world, some "mobs" a few gear sets, and items, all equipable.

but...

I have been reading some stuff on how to create window based programs in c++, i downloaded the free vb.net and all that, I am working on making just simple programs, this is what got me doing the flash wow rpg the way I am, but I'm really getting into this new code, and such.

So I am more than likely going to continue my prgress of the game in flash, just as a prototype for what I am going to make.

I already figured out how to export my meshes and textures form 3ds max and use them in my music jukebox program I am working on.

The cool thing is that I can manipulate the models raw data outside of max this way, and it allows my to add/change textures and and add/swap models on the fly. Probably sounds cooler than what it is, but hey I'm learning.

Student
    pretty unrare for a developer such as blizard putting their models as free to go formats including rig setup and or Motion files- my guess is that you got the models from the internet- somone else wrote or used an openGL ripper and dumped the files in the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by everfornever
    Oh did I mention, I am making this for fun, not trying to be some wow enthusiast and trying to make some kind of noobish crap.
    ...Please dont hate on me for choosing wow, I personally dont play it naymore and find it quite gay, ...
    at least it´s the worst timing you could have choosen with all the noobs getting bashed here letely (MMRPG ****). Wont comment more on this

"...its so gay of me to..."
    "...find it quite gay"

Nice to see that word used in a derogatory way

Ever, do you think that everyone who visits the board is heterosexual ? That used in that context is won't cause offence to anyone ?

Squize.

Squize, while I see your point and mostly agree, I do believe the word has (for better or worse) entered our collective vocabulary with an entirely new meaning and context. I don't use the word in such a way myself, but I sincerely don't think Ever was meaning to offend anyone. Nor did I get the impression he was a homophobe because of it.

Think of it this way, if I was to call someone a p*ssy in the derogatory sense, it doesn't mean I don't love p*ssy or have some personal vendetta against pussies... In fact I think baby cats are just adorable!

(EDIT: Wow, I can't believe that word is censored.. I hope I haven't offended anyone )

erm,yeah,sorry,ever, but gotta say consider yourself warned,such behaviour is not accepted on FK, i won´t put the censorship flag up afterwards, just don´t say things again which insult others.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Gay originally meant "bright, happy and jolly"

If it's ok to hijack the meaning once, I don't have a problem with it happening a second time.

^to dancing O:
    i know what you mean, to be honest in schooldays some years ago i used gay with negative meaning in between,too. I didn´t think of it a lot, it was just that it had for some reason become another word for something with negative touch.
    But yeah,if you think about it probably homosexuals would feel insulted and for good reason; so yeah,once you realize something you did without thinking turns out not to be that great when one thinks about it, you could just change that behaviour, no?

Yeah DO, I know it's meaning has been hijacked, and believe me mate I swear every 3 words or so, I've not got the mouth of an angel or am I the most PC person in the world, just felt it was a bit much on this occasion.

Squize.

^to lesli felix: i´m angry on the gay movement taking the rainbow as one of their symbols and i´m angry on nazis taking the symbol of light and sun to symbolize their ideology, but yeah,that´s a different topic
    bad+bad doesn´t equal good, so if something wrong is done it doesn´t get better when something equally wrong is done in return

this thread is really queer

yeah,indeed, got way out of place..

To say something on the actual thread topic i think its not a good idea to use so much filesize on things which don´t have any use for gameplay.
    Unless you intend to go for only top notch connection broadband users.

Besides that i don´t get the point of redoing something with ripped art from a pretty new game.
    If you do it as personal for fun thing it could be counted as fan project but at the end it will always only be compared to the original game and feel pale in comparison.

Sorry,not wanting to crush your enthusiasm but yeah,trying to get the whole idea.

Wouldn´t it make more sense to invest your time into making a game with custom art and a bit custom gameplay features?
    (Or remake a classic old game,there people normally haven´t played the original in years, have good melancholic feelings when they play yours and also flash is more up to recreate something similar or even better in many cases)

Sure the side of learning how to set up a game with external assets is still valid in your setup, too but yeah, if you used custom art you could also show your game in public without having to worry it gets put down (and maybe you could even sell it to some portal at the end,yeah,even if its not your aim at this point )

Horray a political debate

Sorry to jump in out of nowhere but I really dont see peoples problem with people using certain terms in a silly way. He wasnt saying I hate gays, although to be honets if he wanted to say that then hes more than entitled to, its a personal opinion. I use the term 'gay' in the same way, along with 'jew' and errr.... 'poo' and 'bum'. Its childish yes, remotely offensive I really dont see how. People should just lighten up a bit in my opinion. I use those terms but im not even remotely homophobic and have noting agaisnt jewish people.

In my opinion if you can take it back then its no real problem. If people went around saying 'thats a bit white' or 'u did a Ross' I would laugh and maybe have a little dig back. My actual name is 'Ross' btw. :P

The term 'straight' is used in a derigatory manner also, 'Hes a bit straight for my liking' translates as 'hes a bit boring, bit dull'. I dont see anyone waving the red flag when thats used though.

Im not having a go at people im just saying that in my opinon people are way to OTT about slang thats used in a humourous way. But by the same token if indeed Squize finds it offensive he has every right to voice that opinion.

Ta.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara
    If people went around saying 'thats a bit white' or 'u did a Ross' I would laugh and maybe have a little dig back. My actual name is 'Ross' btw. :P
    My actual name is john:

n. Slang.

1. A toilet.
    2. A man who is a prostitute's customer.

Nice

Thats pretty sweet ever. Ya, thats pretty close to what the WOW layout looks like. Can't wait too see the world and battle system you got going. Keep up the good wokr man

Lol.

See that is my point. You are not saying gays are bad or wrong in any way, you are in fact adding another usage for that word using it in that way. Gay can be used to say 'happy', to say someone likes people of the same sex and if you feel like it that it can mean a 'bit crap'. You are not changing the original definition of the term but adding to it. Gay people do not have the monopoly on the term 'gay'.

Obviously if someone came on here and said ;WOW is really stupid like all those gay blokes who like it up the bum' that would be meant as a direct remark about gay men so therefore offensive.

I just think the world is going a bit mad when you can take the mick out of the majority as much as you want but as soon as a minority is jested a little everyone is up in arms.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?