dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game for fun, not income

I wrote my comment when I was in a bit of a foul mood, and to be honest if the edit rules hadn't changed I would have removed it, as in many ways I've just poured oil on to the fire ( After helping light the fire in the first place ).

I can only apologise for turning this thread into a debate where perhaps it wasn't needed.

Squize.

Nah ive put in my two pieces. I wll comment on the actual flash file when I get home as I know it must be annoying when your thread goes off on a tangent.

Anyhoo people put across their views without ending up in a slagging match so its all good, score one for civilized debate
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Thank you for pointing out my bad choice of words, but I do plan to use this thread for my game updates, can we try to get back to the point.

how big is this going to be, you should really construct the tile engine before you do anything graphical. If your using your old Lost engine then i'd say your in for one bumpy ride and you'll probably end up at the same place you were last. If you have your engine down it'll help when you have to make your graphics later on.

Hopefully you've learned from your other games that people don't like big file sizes for flash games (or all at once) so factor that in too.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Ever, you might want to check out mywarcraftstudio. It allows you to open all kinds of models and textures from your warcraft folder. When I played WoW, I used to use it change all of my models--client side only :-( -- to really awesome looking armor.

You can DL it at curse-gaming. Hope it helps, looks great so far.

Malee, I plan to have about a 50kb initial download on the game, and for those that delete there internet files thay will have to wait if they want to re-create a new new character, file size for character creation is 750 kb.

The character account screen is 76kb, and so far the actuall game initial load is only 1.5 mb, that includes all UI and initail starting point.

Like I siad before, al content is loaded real time, so the first wolf you see if on a slow conection may bite you the first time you see it before you see it. (wolf file size is only 24kb) but all buildings and npc's and world things are loaded from an external file system. But once an item is loaded, by seeing it, then its on your comp for good, unless you delete IE files.

For an RPG, breaking the components up into seperate movies that are downloaded when needed sounds like a good strategy to me.

I wasn't sure if when you describe loading a wolf, is the wolf loaded when a person comes across it, or loaded when a map is entered?

I would think you would have to split the game world up into sections, like Zelda on Super Nintendo. When you walk from one area to the next you would have to load the required assets upon entry.

With variable connection speads out there in the world, loading a wolf when a player finds it would create a pause in the game and might be harder to pull off, although for creating a seamless world would be pretty groovy.

I don't find the managment of the assets too tricky if its a zelda approach. Thoughts I've had are to do with the scripting engine. How are you going to manage the thousands of conversations out there in the world? I'm thinking XML would be useful here.

Well those are my thoughts, enjoy

so far I have only the world ground pre-loading, its broken up into what I call supertiles, all the ground tiles are loaded for the world map when entering the world.

I have so far created elwyn forest, the human starting point, the ground map for it is 1mb. I have all trees and bushes laid into the ground tiles, they look 3d like there sticking out of the ground but there just in the ground image with a hitTest around them. Same with the bushes.

The buildings and npc's and enemies are all loaded upon site. avg size of a building so far is like 125kb and an enemy is around 300kb, so hopefully even those on dial up wont have a hard time loading these resources. But you need to keep in mind that most the levels use the same 3-4 enemies for the whole level, so loading should not be ab issue, and probably wont even be noticed.

Also since most enemies will first be spotted at lower levels by the time you are of decent level not manby things will be left to load.

And the agro range of most enemies the player will come across on first site will be well out of screen view, so there will be a moment were the enemy is loaded before he would apear on screen.

Right now I have a wireless connection and a lan line. My wireless connection I pick up runs at around 1mbps and it seems to not be an issue.

But this project is along time coming, the hardest part so far is ythe armor sets.

I am using external animation for each body part, and each item...

basically like this....

|player head|
    |player chest|
    |player arms|
    etc...

then I simply say player.head.loadmovie("blood_elf/female/warrior/adventure_helm.swf")

this .swf contains all head animations for the warrior class.

then I just use when a person attacks

player.head.gotoAndStop("attacktype")

I do this for all body parts....

This is not exactly how I am doing it, obviously I have arranged a decent system for loading and controlling body parts but this is the jist of it and the easiest way to explain it right now.

Getting back to the subject, you've got to be really careful when spooling in data like that, it's prone to go badly wrong ( Never make assumptions about connection speed or cpu power ).
    If you're going to go to ahead with it, I'd work with dial-up speed in mind ( So about 4k a second ), so the wolf will take 6 seconds to d/load, so perhaps a low-res place holder would cover the worst case scenario.

Also bare in mind that different browsers have a different number of connections, with some having as low as 4 ( That's what I work to when pulling in lots of data at what could be the same time, but never actually try and go above 2 ideally ), so if you try and load 5 or more external files at the same time ( Aside from the delay ) you're going to choke some browsers.

Squize.

I am using pre-loaders for all content, the pre-loader is actuall just a low rez image of the item (ie, the wolf just standing)

When laying out buildings and enemies I will keep in mind to not place several differebt items all together.

why wouldn't you just load the required assets before the level begins?

If something hasn't loaded yet, will i be able to attack it?
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

well to be honest, I am still testing alot of this stuff.

I am still working on saving data and creating the character selection and saved screens. As well as the login screen screen and functionality.

Right now I am mainly focusing on loading gear sets and exporting all gear to be used, this is quit time consuming.

Yes so far attacking an enemy before its been loaded is possible.

You have to understand that most enemies only consist of around 50k, some more detailed ones, (ie, more attacks are around 300K mainly big bosses) but thats only the first time you see it.

I will post a teast soon as I think Ive got it down , but for now my main focus is easy character creation and account creation as well as login and saved data.