A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: animation within animation

animation within animation

Next time instead of pulling my hair out, i think i'll just ask here. There's probably something really obvious that i'm missing.

Anyways. What i want to do, or supposed to do is: create a library of mini animation clips with objects. So that, in my scene1 i can pull these mini animations out at anytime and use them.

I hope i make sense.

So this is the way i've been doing it. It doesn't seem to work. I am using flash 8.

- new doc, create object with oval tool.
    - select object, F8 -> movie clip
    - double click object -> independent timeline.
    - create animation (object moves across a few cm)
    - back to main timeline (scene1)
    - insert 20 frames
    - press play: nothing happens.

My object (movie clip) is supposed to be my mini animation which i can access anytime via the library. But i can't figure out how to get it working in the main timeline. I've searched up and down the tutorials and i can't find anything to help me.

Please help, @_@

hi there,

could you possibly make the fla available to download. It sounds easy enough to do. I`ll have a look and see what i can do.

cheers
    <br />
    darrenazzopardi.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by dazz_club
    could you possibly make the fla available to download. It sounds easy enough to do. I`ll have a look and see what i can do.
    That 's the best!
    However, something from my library. The attached FLA was developed in FLASH 8.
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 08-19-2007 at 02:22 PM.
    <signature removed by admin>

I followed what you said you are doing to a T. It works fine. Press CTRL + Enter To play the whole movie. If you just hit enter to play the current timeline you won't see the animation inside the oval movieclip.

Okay...when i tried the ctrl + enter (publish?) it works like it's supposed to. I'll upload it for you anyways.

What i'm after is the same thing, but in a way that i can view it working while in the main timeline. Is that possible? Or will only animation on the main timeline work in this circumstances?

What's the difference between movie clip and graphic anyways. I was told you can make animation within animation using the graphic, but i'm not sure how to work it.

Can what i'm trying work when i convert it to a graphic symbol instead of a movie clip?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I allways use ctrl + enter. using the normal "play", as far as I know will only play the currently viewed timeline, and not timelines within objects that may be on that timeline :P
    I thought the option in the "controls" menu named "Play all scenes" would make it do what you want, but I just tested it and it doesn't. So, I don't think so.

I'm not sure what you are asking about converting to a graphic symbol instead of a movie clip.

What's the difference between a movie clip and a graphic (when converting to a symbol)?

Quote Originally Posted by senkei
    What's the difference between a movie clip and a graphic (when converting to a symbol)?
    A movie clip runs independent of the main timeline and can have actionscript on it. A graphic can't have an instance name or be referenced with actionscript.

What's so good about a graphic then? What application does it play for simple animations?

Quote Originally Posted by senkei
    What's so good about a graphic then? What application does it play for simple animations?
    Simple things like still pictures or animated gifs.