dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Comping 3d character into flash > best way?

Comping 3d character into flash > best way?

Hi guys,

What's the best way to composite a 3d character into a flash site?

I have a 3d character that i wish to comp into a website. Is it possible to use an alpha mask or something similar?

Cheers.

Dave.
    dave 8-)

Student
    if you import the image or sequence as PNG you can have alpha channel. Since Flash7 (my guess) video files already support an additional alpha channel meaning 32bit video data (24bit color + 8bit [256 grey channel])- depending on your 3d package you can export or save the files in the required formats

Hi,

Thanks, taking a look at the following links do you think this is how they have the 3d elements pass over the content?

http://www.templatemonster.com/flash...tes/13888.html

http://www.templatemonster.com/flash...tes/12800.html

Cheers - Dave.
    dave 8-)

Student
    from the redicules loading time guessing propably transparent PNG sequence. But what you are propably missing is a 3d package at least you dont seem to have the knowlege otherwise you wouldn´t be wondered about such

My original question wasn't regarding 3d techniques or the use of a 3d programs, i'm fully aware of the functions of the 3d programs i use. I simply wanted to know if flash can work with alpha channels. Apologies if you mis understood my question.

Kind regards - Dave.
    dave 8-)

Student
    well I just assumed that like most of this forum members you are rather familar with flash,- but it seems to be the opposite:

well as I said your options are:
    - PNG sequence,- as all sequences best way it to store the frames into a sperate MovieClip that way you can resuse it or better control it via ActionScript
    - Video (AVI, MOV; FLV) I only test it with the AVI container format but it should work if you save the animation in your 3d package such as 3dsmax or maya to 32 bit video with embedded alpha channel. Flash 8 or 7+can read the alpha channel - just give it a try
    - GIF sequence, or gif animation: those have a disadvantage in the ALpha channel as it is simply monochrome (1 bit) and your colors are limited to 256 (8bit ) colors.

a complete different attempts & or method would be cell- shading and exported vector frames such as the Ravix engine (included in maya, availble as plugin for max, LW, Cinema) - you´ll find ton of information of that on this board because for a long time and still today some flash people believe it´s the only way importing 3d models to flash- but that might be because of the rather popular swift3d packge .

I guess those are you options

Personally, I'm a fan of rendering to *.swf using 3ds max and the Erain Swift3D MAX 3.0 plugin, then taking that into Flash as a MC (movie clip) and then whatever elements that I want in front of my 3D animation, I'd use a mask or separately place those elements on top of the animation or just mask them out as they collide with the rendered 3D animation.

Just another take. I'm not a fan of the *.PNG format method because of file gloat.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Cheers, that's great. You're right, my knowledge of Flash isn't too great compared to 3d. I guess the best thing to do now is just give it a try

I''ve not heard of Revix, i'll investigate further.

Thanks again - Dave.
    dave 8-)

Ravix is the vector rendering engine within Swift3D and the other Erain products.

Student
    while you are still at it, illustrate another cell- shading renderer (but superiour to ravix imo.) gives you greater control on the style but less propably on the output is if I am not mistaken capeable of outputting vector shapes- sequences as well. It´s available for the major 3d packages.

3dstudioViz plugin info:
    http://www.pluginz.com/product/10112...ubcategory=137

official website:
    http://www.davidgould.com/

production I.G used in their Ghost in the Shell SAC series and movies:
    http://www.davidgould.com/Illustrate...ndAloneComplex

if you import rendered frames try removing as much frames as possible when using sequences because they´l eat filesize as crazy. Also it might be usefull to crop the frames to the minum needs with AfterEffects or Photoshop CS3 beta wich supports AVI and Quicktime files now.

Cebas Final Toon is my current huckleberry... but it's more expensive than most people are willing to pay.

Student
    oh that Cebas Final Toon really is nice O_O :drool: has some nice features the others dont have. Still I think that the illustrate plugin has some slight advantages in the line control as it gives you a seperate editor that lets you define line/ edge weights as well as some other mesh detailed properties that cant be defined simply by a material or done with a multi- sub object.