A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3-D panorama in Flash?

participant

3-D panorama in Flash?

I'm looking to make a room that can be scrolled similar to those Quicktime panoramas I've seen. I can make a scrolling panorama that appears as though one can look in any lateral direction, but not up or down smoothly. Should I use another program like Swift etc? What is the best way to accomplish a room in which I can look in any direction, including up and down?

Thanks!

Matters on how realistic of an example you want...

You want this room to move dynamically with the mouse? You can stitch together MC's (movie clips) with Swift3D and use AS (ActionScript) to follow the X,Y of the mouse; but that's pre-rendered and not real-time and might not be what you're looking for.

Any examples before I try to figure out a possible solution? I'm not leaning towards Flash to be honest. And those Quicktime VR movies... they're photorealistic, but also pre-rendered like Swift3D would do; which isn't a bad thing.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

participant
    would stitched-together MC's look like they were 3D or just like they were painted on the walls of the cube I'm in? Would it be a cube? Basically I want a room were one can click on say the TV and play an animation or click on a slider game and play that. I'd like it to look like the room is 3D, but all the things in it don't need to be 3D models...

what is the drawback of pre-rendered?

Take a look at Sandy. Its a 3d engine for flash which enables you to build cubes that can be skinned with textures and rotated. You can place a camera inside t so it looks like your in a room. It creates a pretty realistic 3d enviroment which fools the eye.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

participant
    and hot spots are possible right?

By hotspots I presume you mean like buttons? Unfortunately after hours of playing with that myself I havent had any success. Ive got it to the point where it plays animations on the walls but I cant figure out if its possible to add buttons or not.

You can take a look at the forums and the demos they have tho and play around with it.
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

participant
    Guess I'm not sure what Swift #D does. I thought it just renders images that can be input into a game etc. to simulate 3D. Can the surfaces actually be MC's or what do you mean, gerbick?

Anyone else have any luck with hot spots in Sandy?