A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3-D Panorama in Flash?

participant

3-D Panorama in Flash?

I'm looking to make a room that can be scrolled similar to those Quicktime panoramas I've seen. I can make a scrolling panorama that appears as though one can look in any lateral direction, but not up or down smoothly. Should I use another program like Swift etc? What is the best way to accomplish a room in which I can look in any direction, including up and down?

Thanks!

Student
    panoramas are actually not 3d but rahter fake attempts. There are several different panorama types like cylindrial or cubic (like skyboxes from games).

here is a thread of me I started in the F8 section:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...light=panorama
    it shows different methods I experimented with

here is a cubic sample from sandy:
    http://www.neave.com/temp/pano/

and here an interesting article on panoramas with flash:
    http://nodename.com/blog/2006/01/11/...amas-in-flash/

But in your case i´d ask how do you want to create the rooms? Do you want to create photos in the classic way (stitcher way to go then) or maybe using a 3d- application such as 3dsmax or cinema4d wich can render panoramas out of the box?

#
    But in your case i´d ask how do you want to create the rooms?
    I have to add this one, which provides a simple config.xml, where you create different rooms in your 'vr-world' using hotspots to navigate, even to external URLs. It has unfortunately a smaller resolution, while working with perspective texture mapping and midmapping (texture antialiased), which looks much better than linear texture mapping. This is cause every pixel is computed and drawn in runtime.

Student
    suprise of course AndreMichelle´s is worth mentioning as well. Not sure but I thought that you were the first with a cubic demo out there so even more worth the mention

participant
    Some great links & examples given! So many choices now. Maybe I can narrow my choices down if I'm more specific about what I intend to create.

I want to make my online portfolio (of animation, graphic illustration & flash) as an interactive (faux-)3D panorama. I plan to use photos of a room, then create a vector illustration over that (My vector images are 10-15% the size of their bitmap equivalents.) I need hot spots so that a user can activate, say, a TV or slider game.

What will create the smoothest panorama, but is still possible, given that:
    I need hot spots
    image size would be relatively small (if vector images can work)
    I have intermediate actionscripting skills
    access to, but no experience with, 3DSMax
    ?

Student
    doesn´t matter as the panorama by michelle, my experiments or most of the others work with BitmapData wich if it would support loading SWF files would rasterize the swf anyway @100%.