A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is Leopard going to bite?

Is Leopard going to bite?

i've only had my iMac a year and have never used macs before that and i remember that being the only bad thing i used to hear was that they made you have to upgrade all your software whenever they released new OS software - fact or fiction?

if i get the new leopard OS when it comes out will i have to upgrade all my software? (i only use word mac, dreamweaver 8, flash 8, fireworks 8, final cut studio 5.1.4 and photoshop cs and about to get after effects)
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Nah, that's not true.

In my lifetime, there have only been two 'upgrade' processes - from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X (and some applications worked in both, plus, you could still emulate OS 9), and from the PowerPC processor to the Intel processor (which has pretty much finished, and it can still emulate PowerPC programs pretty quickly).

Since you've had your iMac for a year, I suppose you're on an Intel processor. I think there's already a Universal Binary of Flash and Dreamweaver (haven't checked, though. Btw, Universal Binary is a program that's native to PowerPC and Intel processors), and Photoshop CS3 will be the first version of Photoshop that's a Universal Binary. Word shouldn't exactly be running slowly even if you're emulating it. Don't know anything about Final Cut, but I think Apple makes that, so it's probably a Universal Binary.

So, you don't need to worry about upgrading to Leopard. Everything will work just as well as it does currently.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

cool, and the intel macs came out 2 months after i bought my iMac. i hope this isn't a problem? any word on how much we can expect to pay for Leopard?
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

No it won't be a problem, everything that is made for Mac will work on yours perfectly. It's just the Intel models, the new ones, that have one or two issues to iron out.

Tiger costs £80 in Britain and $120 in the US, chances are Leopard will be the same.

If you rely on your computer for work, most people will recommend that you don't upgrade straight away – wait until the first update (10.5.1).

cool. how long do you think that could be after the initial release?

The first one comes along quite quickly, as the errors are found relatively soon. For example, Tiger 10.4.0 was realeased in the shops on 29 April 2005, and 10.4.1 followed on the 16 May, seventeen days later.

I know a few people on the boards will wait a few more months until it's really steady, if they really rely on their computer, but the majority of the time it's all right.

Flash CS3 is going to bite. Hard.
    I had an opportunity to try it out on intel mac(core duo 2ghz, 1G ram) and it sucked. It was faster than flash 8 through rosetta but was still lagging and slow, standalone flash player was awesome though. I see a new petition coming.

why is everybody dreading flash cs3? lol....normally people are hyped when a new version comes out.

Macromedia got really lazy with supporting Macs. The buttons and functions in Dreamweaver are absolutely terrible on the Mac versions so far. I really hope they've sorted it out, otherwise I might cry.

I'm more worried about the outrageous prices.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk
    Macromedia got really lazy with supporting Macs. The buttons and functions in Dreamweaver are absolutely terrible on the Mac versions so far. I really hope they've sorted it out, otherwise I might cry.
    Has anyone tried Dreamweaver CS3 for the MAC? What is the verdict?

I was thinking about getting a MAC Pro (which would be my first MAC ever) and would like to know how the new CS3 suite is performing on MACs these days.