A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Show] Line Dodger 2

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar

[Show] Line Dodger 2

Alright, so it's not snazzy. It's probably already been done somewhere, but I haven't seen it and I suprised by the fact. It's quite simple, LOTS of lines are going to shoot around the screen, do your best to not get hit. If a line is the same color as you, you can cross the line risk free! If a line isn't, the game is over if you touch it. Every so often, the lines will get faster and you'll level up. Also, colored circles will appear randomly; collect these to swap colors. Basic arrow key movement (mouse for buttons, was going to implement arrow key menu movement, but never got around to it). Anxious to hear your feed back! *cough*VizaAKAKingDebug*cough* Anyhow, enjoy!

Play!

PS: It's called "2" because it's a sequel, I just can't find the source to 1. It's probably on a flash drive around my room somewhere. If I ever find it, it'll be on my site, so you can look for it there.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

nice. I haven't seen a game like this so you get top score for originality. Couldn't find any bugs with it, and i guess because there's so much concentration involved to avoid lines, powerups wont really make a difference. So yeah, nice work. Sell it or make better graphics, can't really say much more
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    i got top score on my first try... weird..

the graphics are top notch.... i love the way the giraffe chases the kuala...... ok just saying add some cool graphics, like make em snot rockets or somin..

Personally, I would prefer mouse control. But I think the controls work just fine. The game plays nice and from the looks of things is an original take on the dodge game.

Huh? Wheres this giraffe?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    nice. I haven't seen a game like this so you get top score for originality. Couldn't find any bugs with it, and i guess because there's so much concentration involved to avoid lines, powerups wont really make a difference. So yeah, nice work. Sell it or make better graphics, can't really say much more
    Sell... it? I wouldn't pay 3 dollars for this game. :P Thanks for the kind words though, glad people haven't really seen this idea before.

Quote Originally Posted by samvillian
    i got top score on my first try... weird..

the graphics are top notch.... i love the way the giraffe chases the kuala...... ok just saying add some cool graphics, like make em snot rockets or somin..
    No one ever said it was a very hard game. Personally I haven't gotten past level 9 or 10 I think so I'm not sure just how hard it gets when the lines start really moving but, eh, congrats on first place. Singed my arse a bit on the graphics, the whole idea was behind the lines, otherwise this game would be called "Koala Dodger 2", but I understand completely what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger
    Personally, I would prefer mouse control. But I think the controls work just fine. The game plays nice and from the looks of things is an original take on the dodge game.

Huh? Wheres this giraffe?
    I strongly considered mouse control, but after playing a few oh, hundred times, I noticed the rediculously small spaces you can get trapped, and I figured and unsteady hand would screw you over everytime. Like I said it my opening post, the only thing I didn't like was the switch between keyboard and mouse control (which I'm sure render will chew my arse for if he sees this game). Thanks all.

Oh and pugger, the "girraffe" was a bit of sarcasm towards the fact that the graphics are so rediculously simple. THERE ARE NO GIRAFFES OR KOALAS IN THIS GAME. Anyhow, that's all for the feedback.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

Not a game for persons with nervous fingers
    ... so not a game for me - but I must admit I gave it way to much time for the momment.

Found it strange to use the keyboard, but after thinking about it, it's easier this way.

neat, anyway.

nGFX

Everytime I sit down to play I think "How could it be this hard" and I'll go for like 5 minutes perfectly fine, until 3 come at me at once and I like ----! and I dodge headlong into another line.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Hate to double post but, I found my Line Dodger 1 source. I'll get it up and online on my site tomorrow.

Note: I was looking at the creation files and it says that my Line Dodger 1 files were created well before my Coin Chase files, I suppose this means I posted the wrong game in that other thread. Ho hum... (Line Dodger 1 has no scoreboard. Sorry fellas.)
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Nice . Only problem I found was that the score/level text is behind the lines, might want to fix that. Very original and fun game though.

Ali

its a bit easy i think you just need to stay round about the same place. What i would do is make checkpoints that you have to travel to in order to score points. space them out a bit so you have to move through the lines. I found myself trying to move about a bit to give it extra challenge.

good work

I was going to actually implement (and still might, who knows) that says if you don't move for a few frames, the lines starting going directly for you instead of just randomly. This would make sure that you keep moving, but alas, I never got around to it.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

I really like the get-to-a-given-point idea and agree wholeheartedly. This game is very much like playing in traffic, and there's no traffic laws, everybody knows it's more fun if you have to get to the other side to get in "the club"

So everyone seems to want more action. I'm taking notes believe me. Look around for Line Dodger 3 one day, where I'll try to make it much more challenging. If I could have gotten the hang of that polygon system, you would have been inclined to get into tighter places because it would have rewarded you with more points based on the area of the polygon you were occupying.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

I've been away but I'm glad I didn't miss this one. I've come a bit late into the thread, but I'll do my best to deliver a complete evaluation :

GAMEPLAY: Very nice. Game play is quite fun for a small timewaster survival type game. It seems as though you've probably thought about and experimented with a lot of extra things to incorporate into the game, because at the moment the game feels 'complete' in terms of game play.
    Though I'm a bit hesitant as to whether power-ups are needed for this game, just in case you were thinking about throwing some in, here’s a few to get you started:
    • TELEPPORT: A power-up which enables the player to teleport anywhere on the screen by using the mouse (point and click to target area)
    • BONUS POINTS: An power-up which gives your scores a boost when picked up (similar to mbenney’s suggestion)
    • INVINCIBILITY: Temporary invincibility (around 5 seconds sounds suitable)
    • MATRIX: Power-up which slows laser/line movement down to half speed
    • A-BOMB: Player activated bomb which destroys all nearby lines/lasers
    • SPEED BOOST: Increases player movement speed
    ORIGINALITY: As mentioned previously the game is very original (never played a game similar).
    CHARACTER CONTROL: Very glad to see this is a keyboard controlled game. It would have been an absolute ***** to play with a mouse (and I've been told that I've got steady hands).
    GRAPHICS: I’m aware that you don’t consider yourself a good artist at all, but maybe you could get a bit more creative with the dAPI. Unfortunately, I haven’t looked into the dAPI really at all, so maybe I’m not the best person to comment (I’m sure render will give you a spankin’ over the graphics), but I do know that it should be possible to create a glowing effect on the lines/lasers (even just making them slightly flicker different shades of their designated colour would a be enough).With all of those lines shooting across the screen, the in-game action has the potential to look very attractive.
    The menu is imo unattractive and bland, which could do with a makeover, but isn’t as important as the in-game graphics.
    WEBPAGE: I know this is off-topic, but you’ve made simple reading an absolute torture all because of that background. Sorry for being picky, but it has to go if you want people to easily read your text.
    OVERALL: 3/5. For a simple 5 minute survival type game, I’ve rated this high, and I quite enjoyed playing it, but if you want to score more from me your next game will have to have more content (not a huge fan of most ‘quick and short’ coffee break games)

Hope that helps, and sorry for the huge rant (you did ask for it though )
    Viza

Btw, it's good to see a change of sig..If my current game progress doesn't pick up the pace, you may not see it until another 5 months

Viza, excellent suggestions. I am debating now whether to add things in this game, or add those types of power-ups (you hit almost all the ones I've thought of) in LD3. I'm looking at the latter, but I haven't fully decided. Yes I do not stand behind my gfx at all. I have to say that the glow for lines is actually there, but I believe the width of the line itself covers most of the effect. Sad you didn't agree with the menus. Personally I thought it to be quite fitting. I do want to be sure to have way more dAPI effects (regarding power-ups) in the next version. Thanks so much for all your feedback guys!

PS: Sadly, I made the webpage background in photoshop, and I'm really partial to it. There just isn't a color that responds well to the background and I'm afraid I'm going to have to toss it out.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Student
    he he so this was it all about,- so in the end you avoided complicated pathfinding, perimeter, intersection whatever and made this simple yet fresh gameplay

I think just like most others that the idea is nice and fresh (we could use more of that here)
    - and hell difficult i´m still 3rd ranked but that only cause I thought I spotted a secret spot wherer I wouldn´t be hit and so I prayed to not get it and it brought me to level 11 or 12
    Though this computer is sure not fast I had sometimes problems controling the dot because of the many lines appearing on the screen and the computer ended up freezing every 3rd frame- still nice game

You mean there is slow down? That's suprising. To test I had about 300 lines running and while my computer is high-end, I still had at least a constant 25fps.

PS: Thanks for not chewing my arse on gfx, render.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF