dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX for logo design?

Flash MX for logo design?

hi, i've designed logos in flash mx before. is this bad practice?

should i be using Macromedia FreeHand?

also.... i'm a web designer, so think in rgb. so, what's the story with colours, i take it, what i see on the screen is not what apears on paper........ do i need a cmyk chart?

ta.
    jackie treehorn treats objects like women

Hi there,

i used Illustrator for logo. Web is RGB, print is CMYK. and Get the CMYK chart from your printer and do the proof before any print work.

-juju

CMYK Charts are brilliant tools for print.
    If you can afford one its well worth having, you must remember that most home printers and DTP printers differ greatly in colour, even when they are set up correctly.

You probably know this already or you wouldnt have asked, but you got me in teacher mode so Im going to elaborate.

RGB, while its a brilliant colour model is a bastard. (contradiction: i think not)
    Heres why: RGB literally stands for Red, Green, Blue.
    This means: any colour you see on your screen is made up of predominantly these colours.

The best indication of this is black.
    RGB black is usually defined as R 0 G 0 B 0. NONE of the colours are used to make up this colour and therefore its usually very much darker than the true black used for printing.

Now CMYK: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black.

This colour model is used for printing primarily because the contrast you get is of much higher quality, its also used because when it comes to colour printing: THE CHEAPER THE BETTER, and CMYK means you can separate your colours AND because you're using a "black" ink, youre not running the risks of over saturating whatever it is youre printing onto.

I'll explain:
    like RGB, CMYK uses 4 primary colours mixed (or rather over printed) to create colour,
    normally when you run something at a printer they will create plates:
    A Cyan plate (to print all the blue)
    A magenta plate (to print all the red)
    A yellow plate, and lastly a black plate.
    Each phase of colour is printed once, then the next is printed over it and so on and so forth until you have your full colour image.
    Black is added last.
    Now, if you were printing an RGB image, there would be no way of separating these colours, you would have to print, and print, and print and print on and on again to get the colours you originally had on screen. You'd end up with the worlds soggiest peice of paper, with smudges, and crappy looking mixed colours.
    Not a problem if youre printing on your desk jet at home. A pain in the arse and expensive if you're at a beru.

Colour models aside:
    If youre used to working in RGB youre used to saving files as JPEGs and PNG's.
    Jpeg & Png does not retain true colour values.
    The algorithm is designed to compress the image quality to leave you with a good looking and much smaller version of the original file and in doing so, it will substitute colours.
    So, while you may be designing in CMYK, you will end up with an RGB image.
    (whaky no?)
    Advice: when working in CMYK save your file to TIFs.
    Its a much higher quality, which wont substitute your colours. Be warned that file sizes are HUGE.

NOW: heres the buggerup. Colour shifts from screen to print.
    CMYK being an accurate way of designing for print is also somewhat reliant on "what you see on screen is not what you get in print" So, what looks like a nice bright orange to you on your screen, might print muddy brown.
    Most print designers work with two colour models.
    The CMYK chart as well as a PANTONE chart. There are literally hundreds of different pantone charts avaliable, they range from the different types of printing you can do.
    Glossy Coated, Glossy Uncoated, Coated, Uncoated, Mat and on and on.
    I work in CMYK, but when I outsource; I usually compare my printed sheet with a pantone chart to make sure that "THIS ORANGE IS THE ORANGE THAT WILL PRINT ON this 275G GLOSS AND WILL LOOK THE SAME EVEN AFTER UV VARNISHING"
    You need to know what your finished product will be before you choose a pantone chart to compare your colours too.

Pantone charts, are just as expensive as proper CMYK charts, but they are handy little buggers to have.

PS: Just found a nice table on WIKI.
    Here's how to convert to CMYK from RGB without me having to type it all out!

Converting between RGB and CMYK

To convert between RGB and CMYK, an intermediate CMY value is used. Color values are represented as a vector, with each color component varying from 0.0 (no color) to 1.0 (fully saturated color):
    tCMYK = {C,M,Y,K} is the CMYK quadruple on \left[0, 1\right]^4,
    tCMY = {C,M,Y} is the CMY triple on \left[0, 1\right]^3,
    tRGB = {R,G,B} is the RGB triple on \left[0, 1\right]^3.

[edit] Converting CMYK to RGB

To convert, we first convert CMYK to CMY, then convert the CMY value to RGB

Converting now
    tCMYK = \{C, M, Y, K \}\,
    tCMY = {C',M',Y'}
    = \{C(1-K)+K, M(1-K)+K, Y(1-K)+K \}\,
    tRGB = {R,G,B}
    = \{1-C', 1-M', 1-Y'\}\,
    tRGB = {1 − (C(1 − K) + K),1 − (M(1 − K) + K),1 − (Y(1 − K) + K)}
    = \{(1-C)(1-K), (1-M)(1-K), (1-Y)(1-K)\}\,

[edit] Mapping RGB to CMYK

This is a formula for mapping a given RGB color to one of many possible "semi-equivalent" CMYK colors. In this case: the CMYK color that uses the most black (K) and the least color (CMY). E.g. #808080 (gray, exactly halfway between black and white) will map to (0,0,0,0.5), and not to (0.5,0.5,0.5,0).

Converting RGB → CMY, with the same color vectors as before:

Converting now

t_{RGB} = \{R, G, B\}\,

converting to CMY

t_{CMY} = \{C', M', Y'\} = \{1-R, 1-G, 1-B\}\,

and then to CMYK:

if \min\{C', M', Y'\} = 1\,
    then

t_{CMYK} = \{0, 0, 0, 1\}\,

else

K = \min\{C', M', Y'\}\,
    t_{CMYK} = \left\{ \frac{C' - K}{1 - K}, \frac{M' - K}{1 - K}, \frac{Y' - K}{1 - K}, K \right\}\,
    Last edited by Natsia; 03-17-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Great stuff Nats!
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I RAAAWK!

Kidding, thanks Rushy.