A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Automated FLV converter?

Automated FLV converter?

i am looking to do something similar to what myspace and youtube do where they convert your uploaded mov, wmv, avi, mpg, and hopefuly VOB files to FLV. i recognize its the easiest to view and load thes movies will be FLV, so i want to make it automated. i know its out there, just whats it called and how much? thanks
    SchmidyUC

Banned For a Long Time
    maybe 5000usd or even more...

Banned For a Long Time
    Hey man, it is not a good idea to build a video-sharing website like youtube.
    a) it requires a great traffic and a good server. personal server is hard to handle this
    b) money-wise, it needs too much money to held this website, just like the software to convert video to flv, it is expensive

You may just need a sdk that can convert video to flv online.

Autoencode....

Hooray! I want to do a youtube type site in Japan...so I've been learning...

go here -> http://www.hotscripts.com/

search for youtube, the free stuff is after the sponsored links.

You will have to get your hands dirty with PHP.

I haven't tried any of the packages yet, but some of them should have some decent documentation regarding remote installation.

If you want something in specific, you're going to have to get your into it up to your elbows.

yeah? read on...

Streaming is cool, but... it's a hassle, and really, not worth it (I feel). If you want it though, spend US$4000 on Adobe's FMS, or spend nothing on Red5

Go and look for FFMPEG, an open source command line video transcoder. There are compiled versions for Linux and Windows, or compile it yourself (scary). I'm fairly confident that any site involving video, upload, convert uses FFMPEG. Like, willing to bet large quantities of beer on it.

go and get XAMPP, a really easy to install Apache/PHP/MySQL server package

Figure out how to make an upload script in whatever (I only know chunks of PHP, and I reckon it's OK), get a server, automate that part, make a user login system that links in with MySQL (or whatever database you wish)

Anybody, anybody (well, anyone who is stubborn and likes coding) can make a youtubish site. It looks expensive because Google paid lots of money, but other than hosting and bandwidth (which will get pricey as your users increase), you can do it for free.

FLV converter choice

In fact, there exsite many FLV converters can do the job you want. This FLV converter site gives you more choice.

Keep in Mind Video Codec

Keep in mind that ffmpeg and all the other places offering free or cheap conversion (that are most likely repackaged versions of ffmpeg) will produce the PREVIOUS generation FLVs - with the Sorensen Spark video codec rather than the new ON2 codec - which means that the quality will be less and the file size (and your server costs) will be larger.

ON2 offers its own conversion solutions but it can be expensive.

Macromedia were a bunch of fools in my book for choosing ON2 over something more open like h264.

Yet another example how they make it difficult on us developers.