A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Battle: What do You Fear?

Open Battle: What do You Fear?

This is really more of an exhibition than a battle I guess...there will be no set order and therefore no need to sign up, just get crackin'.
    • Image Size - Anything over 600 x 400
    • You do not have to incorporate an aspect of the previous image
    • Must base each image on an object or concept that scares you

When you post each image, please expound on why you have that fear...

The first horror movie I saw was "Alligator." In it, a 40-foot gator hides in a kid's swimming pool at night and when the kid jumps in, his mother turns the light on and you see the alligator. Then it eats him.

Now, I'm afraid to swim in murky water. I'll do it if I must for the sake of a greater purpose, like water skiing and such, but the entire time I'm in the water all I can think about is how long till the boat swings around and picks me up again.

very cool
    this should be a good one

O I really like this image im trying to think of what might make me nervous or
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

Hey O, I've seen you do that water thing in several volleys. How do you get it to look right (ie, the sort of face on camera view with the cross-section of water and above).

Quote Originally Posted by DaVulf
    Hey O, I've seen you do that water thing in several volleys. How do you get it to look right (ie, the sort of face on camera view with the cross-section of water and above).
    The first cross section I tried was this one I think. It really doesn't look so great. Then, in this one, I used a linear gradient for the underwater section, but I think the most effective method to make it look realistic is to use some bubbles and brushwork to create that sort of photorealistic fog right near the surface of the water. I did the same thing in this Venice image, as well. I also think that they are getting better, so some of it may be trial and error.

Squigle line across water, add gradient, add bubble brush.

Got it. Thanks O, I'll give it a shot in the near future. I appreciate the help man.

O, sweet image! Im really liking the dark, murky water feel with the bottom half of the image, nicely done. I also like the boat, and the color adds a nice balance and contrast with the rest of the image. This is a pretty creative theme, I am looking forward to what everyone else post's.

Thanks Mark! Are you going to post one?

Here's a quickie.

I'm afraid of being alone.

yea, i will post one, i just need some time to put together an image. it will be up before the end of the week.

Weird....

My image wasn't showing up, now it is.

Heh...I know what I fear, and I have too much free time this week. I'll try to have something up by Wednesday night.

Oh and DaVulf...simple and to the point...I like it.

Cool idea davulf, looks good too.

I have a small crit if I may, the text clashes very much with the rough texturing of the grass, which makes it very hard to read. That's all. Great job with the placement and shadows!

Thanks for the crit O. I messed around with it for a bit, I was going for a similar style to your own, but it just kept blending too well. I added a white outline for visibility, but now I see that it really does clash.

quicke.

Im afraid of people smoking too much. Ive seen too many people die from it. And I have too many friends who realize it's dangers and keep on smoking. The "cool factor" is unfortunatly still there.

Another good idea! I love the red on white, Dri, great job.

Nice one Dri, I love the smoke. I can't say that I'm 'afraid' of smoking, but I do hate it.

afraid of my friends dying from it

also, i couldnt find a stock photo of fat man on a elephant riding through the streets of DC with a rifle shooting red, white, and blue freedom bullets
    Last edited by Dricciotti; 03-20-2007 at 01:33 AM.

That's really cool man. I'm only 19, soon to be 20 and I've smoked for about the last year or so. Nothing to do with it being cool, it just grew on me as something I could look forward to after work or after class. Well I just got sick and tired of smelly clothes, smelly breath, wasted money, health risks, banishment to the outdoors, etc. I quit smoking almost 2 weeks ago today. Today I took a few drags from an old pack to see what I missing and I nearly puked. I'm never doing that **** again. So yeah, nice image.

wow, i am really loving the smoke! nice image