A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cropping a Flash Movie?

Cropping a Flash Movie?

I'm pretty new at Flash MX and I'm just getting around to using it more and more heavily, so there's probably an easy way to do this. I manipulated a Flash template, but the top border is about 150 pixels too high. You can see it at www.hortonwebdesign.com/indexflash.htm. So for someone to see the screen where the content is, they have to scroll down a little. I want to crop that top part off so that the content is closer to the top border and that is essentially all I need to do, but easier said than done.

If I open the movie in Flash MX 2004 and choose "Select All", it doesn't really "select all". I figured I could do that and just shift all of the pieces up using the selection tool. But when I move "all", there's still some pieces that stay put. It appears the only way to do this is to go screen by screen selecting each and every indvidual piece and shifting them to the new location. That's about 3 hours worth of work. I also tried to see if I could find a cropper (like in Photoshop) that could just trim off the top edge of the finished product, but can't seem to find anything like that. I also tried altering the stage size which is currently 766 x 750 to 766 x 550, but then it takes the extra off of the bottom and not the top. If I could move the stage around underneath the content that might work so I could let the stage viewing area just cut out the top content that's not on the stage out when exporting, but it doesn't appear to allow me to do that.

Is there an easy way to do this or am I completely hosed and should plan on logging a few hours to adjust this manually? Again, the file is at www.hortonwebdesign.com/indexflash.htm

Put this in your first frame:

this._y=150;

That should move the whole lot down 150 pixels.
    Feeling chatty?
    http://www.mitsuku.com

What if I wanted to move it UP 150? It's already too low.

I actually used my brains on that one and used -150 instead. That did it. You are the man.

Yep that's it. You can also use:
    this._x=100
    to move it left and right.
    Feeling chatty?
    http://www.mitsuku.com