A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Illustrator cs2 gradient fade

Illustrator cs2 gradient fade

Hi, Im trying to apply a gradient fade to a box. I want the fade to go from white to clear!

I know how to do it in PS, but not a clue how to in Illus. Does anybody know how to do it, or better still. A website with loadsa tutorials.

Thank you very much

Someone will correct me if I am incorrect, but i'm pretty sure you cannot achieve this in illustrator. Once again I could be wrong but I have never seen this done.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

really? I have seen logos being reflected with this fade effect before.

You certainly should be able to. I don't use Illustrator personally, but isn't there a place to specify each color being used in the gradient? Could it be that you have to create the transparent color and add it to the palette first?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Yes you can do it.

(ive just found out a week ago, after been using illustrator for like 10 years. I dont know why it's like so hard for illustrator to do it...)
    -juju

:: i ran into a problem of applying gradient to transparent of a complex shape (eg. a box that curl upward a bit. i want the gradient to follow up that curl). I will search for solution and post it here but if anyone know how please let me know, thanks. (for both Flash and Illustrator)
    Last edited by Jujumon; 03-27-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Opacity masking. See you learn something new everyday. That is a cool tidbit of information. Thanks Jujumon. Damn that is a pain in the ass way of doing it. lol But at least it can be done.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

You my friend are a legend!

Im sure when cs3 comes out, they would of sorted this out so it can be done in a click.

Heres a video tutorial that sums it up

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29092735

bp

Quote Originally Posted by Jujumon
    :: i ran into a problem of applying gradient to transparent of a complex shape (eg. a box that curl upward a bit. i want the gradient to follow up that curl). I will search for solution and post it here but if anyone know how please let me know, thanks. (for both Flash and Illustrator)
    for illustrator you can combine both opacity mask technique and gradient mesh to create gradient fade to a complex shape. (apply the mesh when creating gradient mask)