dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D Flash Animator 4.9.2 is now available

3D Flash Animator 4.9.2 is now available

You can download the new version from ...

http://www.3dfa2.com/files/3DFlashAnimator4Setup.exe

Some bugs have been fixed and general improvements have been made throughout the interface. New items have been added to the library. There is a new Animate Event which makes keyframe animation much easier. 3D objects can now be animated using all of the 2D effects and properties. Some features, including 3D, are still under development.

The next beta release - due very soon - will have an Actionscript 3 export option. Flex users will soon have a new toy.
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

any chance of video support? if so how long

Along the same lines, it would be nice to be able to import a sequence of jpegs(bmps, etc....) as one whole group, as opposed to having to individually build an animation one frame at a time....

Video has been under development for some time, and should be available within a month or two.

We can even include drag-n-drop Jpegs for Zoran
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

Drag and drop would save a lot of time, especially on a 30 second animation at 24 frames per sec.......

but.........

If video is importable(prolly not a word, but....) that would make it superfulous, and it would be far, far simpler just to poke an avi in there. Would the frame rate be accurate??

More specifically would I be able to reference a frame in the avi and then base an event on that???

-J
    Last edited by zoranvedek; 03-27-2007 at 01:59 AM.

I have several elements that I use as functions. They are not to be run until they are called upon.

Right at the top of the properties pane of these elements, there are three options, "to run on the first frame", "to run on the second frame", and "to run on every frame". This seems to be new to the latest version, I do not remember this on the older versions. What about when we do not want a script to run until needed in the program?

When I open a movie I made in an older version in the latest version and "Run" it, I get error messages:

Expression could not be resolved on line 1 link("root[Enable_Scores@212]").()
    Expression could not be resolved on line 1100 link("root[Dice_Off@210]").()
    Expression could not be resolved on line 1101 link("root[Disable_Scores@213]").()
    Expression could not be resolved on line 1102 link("root[Reset Check Boxes@209]").()

It gives the line number, but how do you find the line number? Is there someplace where you can view the raw script.

Plus, what does the @212 and @210 mean?

Thanks for any help,
    Phil

3DFA is getting upgraded for the Flash 9 player, and this means some old features are being removed. This includes the old Call action that let you call a script like it was a function. That was a Flash player 4 concept. Now you'll need to define functions within your script and call those functions using ...

element("my script").my_function();

There will be other changes to the scripting in the near future that may also make it necessary to change a few things in a few old projects. But the benefits will greatly outweigh the costs.

If you have a movie that no longer plays and you cannot figure out where the problem lies, contact the website and include a link to the downloadable movie file. Please pack the movie first using the new Pack option under the file menu.

Clicking on an error sometimes does not bring up the error script. This is being fixed.
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

Staying with the topic of Functions, would the "Starting Script", be the best place to write all the functions for the movie?

This would place them all in one location, making it easy to locate the scripts if needed.

Since this script is only run when the movie starts, could the functions still be called from here, after the movie is running.

Can you still write a function, by clicking on "Add New Element", and then clicking on "Script". Then writing your function.

From the post above, if I understand correctly, we can no longer just create functions as a separate script, and then call that script when required.

Is all this already required in the latest version, or will this be in a later version.

Thanks again,
    Phil

If you define a function anywhere, in the starting script or in any script element, then the function becomes a method of the movie, and it can be called from anywhere within the movie as "function()" or anywhere outside of the movie as "movie.function()".

If you define a function within a script element, it can also be called using "script.function()" which is treated exactly the same as "movie.function()". Allowing both ways seems equally as confusing as only offering one option, so it was permitted.

If you were to put this into a class context, it would look like this ...

class movie
    {
    movie constructor ()
    {
    any code in the starting script or any script element that is not contained in any function, except for code in script elements that are set to run on every frame.
    }
    onEveryFrame handler ()
    {
    all code contained in all script elements that are set to run on every frame.
    }
    function one (){ ... }
    function two (){ ... }
    function three (){ ... }
    ... and so on for every function defined anywhere in the movie

(code contained in script elements set to run on the second frame are an exception)

The most useful thing about defining your functions in script elements is that it divides the code into more manageable sections.

I hope this helps
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)

I am setting up a test movie to get my data from my sql server, and came across something that I did not notice in the earlier versions of 3DF.

I have 10 layers setup with 2 edit boxes in each layer.

Lets say that the variable for edit box 1, in layer 1, is name1. I would like to place text into name1 in the starting script. So I place name1 = "Text1";

It seems that since it is in a layer, I can not access this variable for the edit box.

If I move the edit box out of the layer, it works fine. Isn't this variable for the edit box available in the movie even if it is in a layer? Or am I addressing the variable in the wrong way?

Any help on the syntax for this would be appreciated.

Phil

If the layer does not have properties set, then the editbox will use the movie's variables.

If the layer has properties set then it has its own variables, and the editbox will use the layer's variables.

But editboxes now accept expressions, so you could put 'root.name1' or 'parent.name1' in the editbox to read the variables of the movie beneath the layer.
    Cheers,
    kusco
    (3DFA Support Team)