I've been grabbing a lot of scripts lately that each seem use their own flavor of DOM detection/browser sniffing. Since I don't really understand the ins and outs of how to detect and talk to anything I tend to just re-detect inside each function.

Even if I was cool with all that extra code, there's something inherently wrong with writing commands in triplicate.
But it looks like things are calming down and there should be enough protection for old standards if new ones come out.

I've been using the swfobject for about a year now and I'm am still impressed every time I use it. It provides one set of commands that work in all browsers for all things flash. I dare say it's perfect.

So I'm just sitting here wondering, where the hell is the domobject? I wrote a class that creates a Stage object that you can use just like flash's and I'm thinking, this can be done for 100% of available browser elements.

Imagine a js import that simply creates the equivalent of _root in flash and using it, you could refer to your DOM elements just like movieclips and their properties/methods.

There's some great stuff out there like mootools but they are usually prepackaged features, I'm looking for a once and for all, never have to think about cross browsers again fix.

Anyone know of a project like this in development?