A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: a new camera :)

a new camera :)

hello lovely flashkit photographers, have not really spent a lot of time on this section of the forum before, but i was looking at some of the pretty photos and reading stuff about SLRs... and i thought i'd ask your advice.

I want to buy a new camera, but actually i'm thinking NOT an SLR. I do want to take good quality photos for photoshopping, prints etc, but i can't really afford a digital SLR, and i tbh wouldn't like to have to be manually setting up shots all the time anyway, so would like an automatic option for snapshot pics...

so the guy i spoke to in the camera shop, and he almost totally sold me on the Canon Powershot G7. Which has the manual stuff, but also automatic setting, and apparently is the one that a lot of professional photographers have as back up... it's also fairly compact (although not as small as some of the digi compacts) so it won't break my back carrying it around... Has anyone got this model, and what's your experience with it? Or what do you think of it? I think it's fairly new out, so i guess it's possible nobody really knows, but a number of people have told me canon's are pretty good

here's the spec

i don't know much about that camera, but i have seen people recomend the powershot (not the G7 in particular) on here before, and from looking at a few reviews, it seems decent.

personally i have a sony cybershot, which i can't recomend highly enough!! since buying it i have recomended it to my brother and my sister and they both now have it and love it and my parents are getting one soon too! it similar to the powershot (and probably many other compact cameras) in that you can alter a lot of the setting manually or leave it on auto.

one benefit i can see the powershot has over mine though is it seems to be easier to get extra lenses for it (you have to get a special little gadget for mine to be able to put different lenses on).

Nikonist
    Don't get me wrong now please! I don't want to start the Nikon vs Canon thingy!
    As I don't know too much about Canons but quite a lot about Nikons here is my suggestion...at least it's worth to take a look at an alternative:
    Nikon Coolpix 8700
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Definitely disregard what Frex said j/k
    Go the Canon way, only instead of the G7 try to find the G6, it's a lot cheaper, and it still support the Raw format and the sensor size is the same one for the G7 or the G5 for that matter

go check my gallery link in my signature, all these by a G5 and the G6 has an ever faster and better processor

one last word

GO CANON

Quote Originally Posted by carly1979
    i don't know much about that camera, but i have seen people recomend the powershot (not the G7 in particular) on here before, and from looking at a few reviews, it seems decent.

personally i have a sony cybershot, which i can't recomend highly enough!! since buying it i have recomended it to my brother and my sister and they both now have it and love it and my parents are getting one soon too! it similar to the powershot (and probably many other compact cameras) in that you can alter a lot of the setting manually or leave it on auto.

one benefit i can see the powershot has over mine though is it seems to be easier to get extra lenses for it (you have to get a special little gadget for mine to be able to put different lenses on).

Carly actually with the Canon G5, G6 or G7 you still have to buy a lens adapter, which is very cheap, but will enable you to add far more lenses and filters than any other "Prosumer" level camera in the market

wow, i started a mini battle! lol

thanks for the info so far i will check out all the things you suggested so far. I'm swaying towards the canon anyway because i've used nikon digital cameras in the past, first one i used was great, so when i got my own i got a nikon but pictures never came out as clear as the first and colour pick up not so good, no matter what settings i had it on... A lot of sources recommend the lenses that Canon use, hence why i was looking at them to start with

ah ok, i must have misread that somewhere

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    I remember borrowing a G5 once, ah that felt so good.. im sure the g7 is great! so I highly reccomend it..
    I took one of my favorite photos with that camera: http://hyelabs.com/tigran/girl/3.jpg (pp'd)

Nikonist
    The girl looks a bit underexposed whilst the bg seems to be too light

Joking!
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannonny
    hello lovely flashkit photographers, have not really spent a lot of time on this section of the forum before, but i was looking at some of the pretty photos and reading stuff about SLRs... and i thought i'd ask your advice.

I want to buy a new camera, but actually i'm thinking NOT an SLR. I do want to take good quality photos for photoshopping, prints etc, but i can't really afford a digital SLR, and i tbh wouldn't like to have to be manually setting up shots all the time anyway, so would like an automatic option for snapshot pics...

so the guy i spoke to in the camera shop, and he almost totally sold me on the Canon Powershot G7. Which has the manual stuff, but also automatic setting, and apparently is the one that a lot of professional photographers have as back up... it's also fairly compact (although not as small as some of the digi compacts) so it won't break my back carrying it around... Has anyone got this model, and what's your experience with it? Or what do you think of it? I think it's fairly new out, so i guess it's possible nobody really knows, but a number of people have told me canon's are pretty good

here's the spec
    Most reviews for Canon PowerShot G7 Digital Camera are positive. You may want to read the review by Unbeatable.co.uk & PC Magazine which give bad ratings for this product. Just compare what different experts are saying about it.

http://www.smartratings.com/review/p...tal_cameras/49

G6 Has the RAW format, which is very useful for post processing

Hooray! my new camera is arriving tomorrow!! after much deliberation i went for the G7, so will test it out this weekend and let you know how it goes!!

Quote Originally Posted by el-Ignoramus
    Definitely disregard what Frex said j/k
    Go the Canon way, only instead of the G7 try to find the G6, it's a lot cheaper, and it still support the Raw format and the sensor size is the same one for the G7 or the G5 for that matter
    I did look at the G6 and was tempted what with the RAW format inclusion, but i couldn't find it cheaper than the G7, and it was out of my budget But i think the G7 seems to have come way down in price from it's RRP.

Anyway, i is happy

hooray for new cameras!!

you should drop by here and post your photos once you've been out shooting

you can get some great feedback on your photos from the guys here or if you just wanted to share some pretty pictures, that's cool too!

Congrats Man

You've been bitten by the Shutter Bug

now go spread the joy and infection, and take pics of unsuspecting people coming out of the shower

and share 'em

thanks folks, i have been snapping away... loving the zoom and macro on my new camera, can lie in bed and take photos of the other side of the room! nothing fabulous yet, but will get some pics up later to show you what my new baby, the G7 can do without me even trying very hard...

hey rhiannon, i've read what camera you were looking for and you stated you didn't have a budget for an SLR...i guess i jumped into the conversation too late as you have already gotten your new cam...

anyhow, for the price you just paid for the G7, you could have gotten a slightly used 350D for just a bit more:
    G7: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
    350D: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

anyhow, hope you enjoy the cam and keep posting here...

oh, and i noticed the NY in your user name, is that for NY? and if so where abouts?

congrats

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Sure would like to see some of the photos you are taking with that snazzy new G7...

:hint: :hint:

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich
    Sure would like to see some of the photos you are taking with that snazzy new G7...

:hint: :hint:
    hint taken! hehe, swould have got them up sooner but haven't had camera, computer, internet connection and server password all in the same place at the same time... So here is a few from my first batch, as you can see, all pretty much using zoom or macro... just to see, just to see... ooh, and apart from resizing, completely non-edited in PS...

melted candles close up...

a bit of our fireplace from the other side of the room (approx 5ft...)

testing out colour accent setting, where you pick a colour, and it black and whites everything else apart from that colour, is quite hard to select the colour though could be fun...

Some pretty small flowers close up (we don't have many plants in our garden, they're only diddy...)

The leaf of the other plant in our garden... didn't notice the bugs inside it until i got it on the computer...

So, that's what baby G7 can do... have some more photos on my memory card of wider views and also playing with night settings and stuff... will upload them at a later date...

ooh.. and lefteyewilly, thanks for the advice, but i managed to get my G7 with discount, so it was definately worth it, and it meant i had money left for memory cards and such, so i think it was a sense making decision... thanks anyway I'm not in New York i'm afraid, I'm in the UK, Rhiannonny is just one of the many variations of nicknames i had in school, and the one i resort to if all my other options for internet alias's are taken