A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can anyone check this out?

Hi there,

Started my own company about two months ago. I am working on my second project at this moment and I think it's starts to look the way I want it to look.

Can you all give me some commend on things to change and what you think of it

There is no content yet..... html is still empty. You can change planets by clicking the small planet (should have some words or so on it) and you can for the moment only exit the page through the intro. To get back to the intro I used a wrong link at the moment at home.....

The 300 k will be downsized to about 190 k ones I get the right pictures

http://www.4webdesign.nl/vanstokkum

Thanks for the advice already
    The best,

Jurgen
    p.s. learned a lot from flashkit!

i like...

... your site very much. There are some problems with your color scheme (the purple color seems not to match the right value to combine with your blue), and i don«t understand why home (the word) is gray and the rest white. I would make home bigger too. There is a graphical problem too: the site is going down, i mean you begin with elements at the upper left corner and goes with your pictures to the right bottom corner, that«s not very good, you can solution this if you mirror the whole site. The compression of your jpegs is a little too stark (a lot of colors are lost) and the javascript window doesn«t fit in my imac (Netscape 4.7, look at the source of http://www.mtv2.co.uk). You should disable the options menu, not to allow the user to zoom in your photos.

Al

Not a Flash Kit Moderator
    The FlashDoctor

just as a suggestion, I would not use the fell screen effect, it causes users to feel trapped in. Also speed up the frame rate a little maybe to 23 fps or so. Be tasteful with the literal size of your movie. THe pictures seem a little distorted. Hope this helps, Steve

Re: i like...

Thanks for the advice Al,

I don't exactly understand what you mean with the color scheme. Fact is that these are the colors they use in their logo's so I can't do much about it (how much I would want it). I will change the word home in white. You are completely right about that. Probably I'll make it bigger to.
    What do you think is the best compression to use on jpegs?

Thanks for the mtv2.co.uk javascript. This is much better, because it will not go fullscreen. Visitors can get out of it as they like.
    How do you disable the options menu?

I just started doing this without any background in designing (decided to buy a scanner and a computer two years ago as a hobby)....... so I don't really understand your remarks about the mirroring bit. Is this a general rule?

THanks again for the advice!

Jurgen

Originally posted by stevestarr
    just as a suggestion, I would not use the fell screen effect, it causes users to feel trapped in. Also speed up the frame rate a little maybe to 23 fps or so. Be tasteful with the literal size of your movie. THe pictures seem a little distorted. Hope this helps, Steve
    You are right about the full screen...... I am going to change it to Alls javascript. Like that one better!

I'll try to speed up the frame rate. Guess everything will go a bit more smooth? When do you speed up the frame rate? Any general rules?

What do you mean with the literal size of the movie? My english isn't the best (Dutch).

Thanks for the advice,

Jurgen

Re: i like...

P.s.... Guess you built that site of MTV2? Like it very much!

Your using database technology in it. Is there a "simple" tutorial on this?

The best

sorry...

... something was wrong with the board, and i didn´t get any mail from it for this thread. I have seen your source, you have worked hard. Though it seems not to be very clean (you have twice the definition to open a window, that´s not necessary), i supose you have some other stuff with no need. I try to be clean with my html part, and i make it as easy to read as i can (if not, i can´t understand it again ). The way to turn the menu options off, is in my source too (i think it was "menu=no" or something like that). Well, with the colors and layout... That´s design theory. About the color, that´s a long theorie for this thread, about the layout, yes that´s a design rule (i don´t like to name it "rule"), is better by asymetrical layout, to give the whole a direction from bottom to top (from left to right), that means "growing, going up, positive, happy...". You can use the other scheme to show something "sad, going down, depressive". I believe that was not your intention.

Yes I´m a freelance designer in Munich.

Merry Christmas!