dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F5] Lunar Mission

[F5] Lunar Mission

Greetings!

It's here! Well, an alpha version of my first SwishMax game 'Lunar Mission'. It's based on a game written back in the 80s' called Meteor Mission by Big Five Software. The goal is to rescue the astronauts which are stranded on the lunar surface (rather platforms) by maneuvering your lunar vessel onto one of three platforms while dodging the asteroids. Of course that's half the mission. Once the astronaut is beamed abroad you must safely return him to the lunar spaceport.

So, do you have what it takes?

Controls:

- Spacebar to start the game/spaceport launch
    - Arrow keys to maneuver lunar vessel

Please let me know how well or not it runs on your computer system.

Thank you!

PS. My hi-score is 2450.

Well, have no idea how the original was, but i think the gameplay is boring.. Sorry to say..
    Otherwise it looks good.. Highscoretable?
    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.

The graphics are good, but the gameplay is boring. I think it needs something else besides just going up and down.

I didn't like the blinking astronauts either. I think it would be cool if there was some kind of warp animation where they shape/motion tweened from their platform inside the ship with some sort of distortion effect.

Not bad, there has to be simpler games too, I like games where I dont lose in first 2 seconds.

SpaceHunter,

Nice start to your game. It is a little too simple I find.
    Keep up the good work though.
    Post you game for free at Gamestack.org. We send the user straight to your website, no iFrames or other leeching methods.

Please check out Gamestack.org for more information.

The original game allowed the vessel to shoot the asteroids on it's return to the spaceport. I think this in itself will help improve game play (I hope). I would like to add alien saucers to keep it challenging as well.

@T1ger, HighScore table is a must and will be added soon!

@Djugan, I'll see if my programming art skillz can achieve that warp effect

This game will evolve over time and I hope that it will be much more than it's alpha state now.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nice so far, and as mentioned a bit easy on the downside.

3 things that I noticed right from the start:
    - for some unknown reason the "button" mousepointer was on the whole time (though, I guess it's a swish problem)
    - the background doesn't quite match the style of the foreground/platforms (or vice versa)
    - the game wellcomes me with a flashing game over ...

Oh, and a quick "use cursors to steer" message as some sort of ingame help would be nice.

nGFX

Gameplay was boring as stated before, maybe add some walls or atleast change the placement of the platforms.

Second I saved all six guys and they it restated with new guys but with more rocks, it became painfully slow and was only getting worse with each rock added, are you using hit test?

BTW: I have a 2.8 GHz machine so I don't think it is my computer

New update (same link above)!

- After some time in dry dock, your vessel is now equipped with an energy baster...uhm, whatever that is Feel free to blast away at those nasty asteroids. The downside to that is more rocks are added after each astronaut is safely returned to your spaceport. You can earn more points by blasting away (Big asteroids = 5 pts - medium = 10 pts - smaller = 25 pts - smallest = 50 pts). While descending to the platforms your baster will be inoperable.

- Added new background image
    - Added transporter effect for Astronauts
    - Fixed constant button mouse pointer bug
    - Added more sound effects

Hopefully these little enhancements will improve game play a bit. Let me know!

More to come!

doItLikeThis
    The game has a good start uptill now. I guess to increase the difficulty you can have acceleration/deacceleration kind of motion.

Edit: for the ship in the game obviously.... :P
    -Aditya

Quote Originally Posted by T1ger
    Otherwise it looks good.. Highscoretable?
    Finally, HighScore table is added, but only displays top score. Although, the web page will list the top 25 scores.

Student
    what I am suprised at that some people still develop with Flash 5 - I mean Flash 9 is on the roll- but isn´t necessary at all for such a game.
    Persoanlly I never rescued an astronout,- they always stood like dead bodies and not moving at all,- try to land exactly next to the astronout made my ship go booom