A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actionscript 1 user feels left behind...

It reminds me of the 'web standards" people - with their anouncement of XHTML 2.0 and now EVEN XHTML 3.0 (look for yourself)- what these guys have nothing better to do? than come up with new structure - when there is nothing wrong XHTML in the first place. I mean give me a break! it's HTML

same thing is going on in this case: I mean what are the "new features " that could not have been accomplished by adding some new functions and or some new commands?? realy now? - could not a "whole lot more " functionality be added if they did not "overhall" the entire code?

it's mearly "syntax" no need to re-invent the wheel.

waste of time -

and now instead of catapulting flash - many very talented "flash developers" have to learn the syntax all over again.. - progression is delayed.

--

Also: someone up there needs to think before we keep demanding that users upgrade the plug-in.. The web users are going to get sick and tired of updating the flash player every 4 months.. esp : when it's being packed with "spyware" but that's another topic.Anyone that's done any DOM scripting knows that a tool bar is nothing but a hijacker and spytool. these people are going to kill flash.

And I'll bet ANYTHING - that this new player is full of bugs - thanks to the new syntax.. so your looking at making your users download about 2-3 more times this year. so that 80% is pretty much out the window.. I'll make a bet on that.
    ---
    Last edited by Blitzzzz; 05-20-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Knows where you live
    Ditto. Blitz, perhaps you should learn a bit more about actionscript...
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzzzz
    It reminds me of the 'web standards" people - with their anouncement of XHTML 2.0 and now EVEN XHTML 3.0 (look for yourself)- what these guys have nothing better to do? than come up with new structure - when there is nothing wrong XHTML in the first place. I mean give me a break! it's HTML

same thing is going on in this case: I mean what are the "new features " that could not have been accomplished by adding some new functions and or some new commands?? realy now? - could not a "whole lot more " functionality be added if they did not "overhall" the entire code?

it's mearly "syntax" no need to re-invent the wheel.

waste of time -

and now instead of catapulting flash - many very talented "flash developers" have to learn the syntax all over again.. - progression is delayed.

--

Also: someone up there needs to think before we keep demanding that users upgrade the plug-in.. The web users are going to get sick and tired of updating the flash player every 4 months.. esp : when it's being packed with "spyware" but that's another topic.Anyone that's done any DOM scripting knows that a tool bar is nothing but a hijacker and spytool. these people are going to kill flash.

And I'll bet ANYTHING - that this new player is full of bugs - thanks to the new syntax.. so your looking at making your users download about 2-3 more times this year. so that 80% is pretty much out the window.. I'll make a bet on that.
    ---
    I don't even know where to begin with what's wrong with what you said...

Ok i'm arguing for the sake of argument lol i'll stop.. I've been up for for a very long time working on something.. forgive me..
    The truth is I have not even looked at AS3. And looking at a few examples about an hour ago - The code does not look any different to me at all.
    It looks exactly like as2. - regardless

I made 3 points above here they are:

flash player 9 bugs -- here they come:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=4a8d52ae

flash guys moving to AS3 having "syntax" errors: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...yntax+problems

yahoo tool bar (packaged with flash when downloading in IE windows):

http://www.asvguy.com/2005/03/yahoo_toolbar_d.html The Yahoo tool bar will hijack your homepage, changes the default search engine to Yahoo, without permission. this is behavior i don't want to be a part of.

JSON is supported as an alternative output format for nearly all of Yahoo!’s Web Service APIs. This is a Really Big Deal, because it makes Yahoo!’s APIs available to JavaScript running anywhere on the web without any of the normal problems caused by XMLHttpRequest’s cross domain security policy.
    read more: http://ajaxian.com/archives/yahoo-json-api
    One line of code from the yahoo user interface:
    var hijackLinks = YAHOO .util.Dom.getElementsByTagName('hijack','a',docume nt.body); YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(hijackLinks[i],'click' You've been Hijacked to another page)
    the page can be read by element from the tool bar without a cross -domain policy via JS

great now they are doing it with the google toolbar: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=333616 - same crap differnt company. look i don't care if the toolbar is "spyware" or not.. it's horse ****. - toolbars suck and i would not recomend downloading them to anyone. What the heck are they good for?

691175002 maybe i should.
    Last edited by Blitzzzz; 05-21-2007 at 03:23 AM.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    every flash player in history has updates and bug fixes -- here they come:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowle...cfm?id=4a8d52ae

Isn't this a dynamic all software suffers? It's not as if they are not addressed and solutions posted until the next build. Why is the fact you will have to update to stay current so awful in a plugin yet fine and dandy for an OS or other type of software that requires it? Just about every software program I have ever used (worth a damn) has tracked bugs and posted updates. If I "choose" not to do so I can...but at the same time I can't whine it's not current or acting odd because of that choice. You make a ten second plugin update seem like climbing Mount Everest and surely they didn't get such a large penetration rate for Flashplayer for all these years if end users were "fed up"....lol. I don't know man...I'm not feeling you on this one...you are surrounded by Flashers in here and acting like Flashplayer is a horned beast and Adobe is out to get you

yahoo tool bar (packaged with flash when downloading in IE windows):

http://www.asvguy.com/2005/03/yahoo_toolbar_d.html The Yahoo tool bar will hijack your homepage, changes the default search engine to Yahoo, without permission. this is behavior i don't want to be a part of.

It's a choice bro. They don't force you to install it. Don't want it?....uncheck the box and drive on. Easy peasy

I think this boils down to the origin of your thread...angst over AS3. Reminds me of pea soup. For years, since I was a kid, I wouldn't touch the stuff. Just looking at it made me sick. Then a few years ago I tried it and loved it. Now I can't stop thinking of all the good pea soup I turned down in the past. Who knows...maybe AS3 is your pea soup? Don't go by looks..try it...you might like it

Knows where you live
    As with many complex things, the complexity is there for a reason. Really, its similar to ms paint vs 3ds max (ok, its an exaggeration). Sure they all output images in the end, and 3ds max is a hell of a lot more complicated, but if you know how to use it you will grind paint into the ground.

Same kind of deal with actionsctipt 3.0. There is a reason why languages such as Java, C++ and C# are object oriented, and there is a reason why they are so commonly used. Once people start realizing the benefits of OOP, I'm sure they will start to like it, the speed increases and new capabilities are just icing on the cake.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

The only thing I don't like about AS3 is the no removeMovieClip() and no swapDepths()... it takes more code to do those now.

- The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    removeChild()
    [/url]
    This only removes from a display list, not from memory the same way as remove MovieClip did
    I dont like that too.To the hell those goalLess oriented creatures who like.

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    Yeah, that only removes it from the display list, but I don't like making sure all references are null so the garbage collector can remove it from memory.

Thanks for the link about swapDepths

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar
    Thats a feature.

Ok OK you guys win.. I'll give up my grumbling and quit griping and just learn AS3.

you guys are right.