A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: post a drawing!

Bryce is unusable in my opinion. The interface is just... horrible.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by everfornever
    yes that is very nicely done, very impressive.
    Stop bragging.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImprisonedPride
    Stop bragging.
    lol. i laughed at that one. anyway, i dont see how posting your drawings on a thread named POST A DRAWING is considered bragging... but anyway, thats probably how that guy shows jealousy.....

Quote Originally Posted by luxregina
    ah, ok ...I misunderstood

Well, it's been actually posted once somewhere else, but might still be relevant to the topic.

This is few steps of a concept are drawing - not perfect, but I insisted on myself to not spend more than one week-night per concept, so that's roughly 5 hours ...
    I thought it could be interesting to share the process, specially for people that have not too much experience drawing : doing most of the job in photoshop is actually a great way to cut on time, if you aren't overly concerne about "style" or "the hand of the artist"

Perspective is off, but I still liked the final result somewhat, so I kept it

Step 1 - quick sketch (one of many, I couldn't actually find the one that started the "final" drawing, so I took the closest I had )

Step 2 - paperpen sketch

Step3 - Scan, and port of sketch on a photoshoped "paper" texture
    I mirrored it, and erased the parts I was unhappy with

Step4 - working on the green glow

Step5 - the full color work is made directly in photoshop - here it is without the outlines

Step6 - with Outlines - I stopped here, because I wanted the "concept art" feel for the drawing, so I watched not overdoing the outlines, nor the colors ... it is a quick work, but moreso, it means to "look" quickly done

and this is how it will look like in game (minus the fake Libram text )
    "The Perspective is of.." HAHA I would taken that first picture and mailed it to Mom to tape to the Fridge!!

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    your mom could like amateur video game art, like I do and I would be honored she did tape it on the fridge but this said, the perspective is still off ...the goal of this was to say, hey guys, we all devlopp for Flash, but lets not there are other ways to render my work, that are not "that" demanding ...

my point, Marchut, was to explain that because we are amateur, and because we are all most likely building a portfolio to convice companies to hire us, then, one need to be merciless on what it is to make better in one's artworks ... thats not my goal, I dropped it years ago, I do not wish to be hired as an illustrator, but, for having recruited some, I tought I could have some feedback

this said, if any Mom want to pin anything from this thread on a fridge, she should feel free to do so! Moms are the alphas of our Omegas, and nothign can be denied to them

im getting a weird feeling that you are talking to yourself since you did a triple post... or is it you dont know the meaning of edit.....

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    It's all about post count here at fk. Didn't you know that Sam?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

HOW DID YOU KNOW MY NAME!!!!!!!..... i better start post whoring.... lol.

It's all about post count here at fk. Didn't you know that Sam?
    haha! that would be an explaination

Quote Originally Posted by petra036
    80,000 claps for you! This is stunning how you have used color and shading and just bought 1 or 2 things out! BRAVO!!!!
    Hey, thanks!
    It's all about post count here at fk.
    Post count is so over rated. But anyway this topic is getting off topic again...
    In hopes of bringing it back here's concept art for my Durbell game:

In game:
    Last edited by Xploder; 04-11-2007 at 01:41 PM.

XPloder, you seem to be a lot better on paper than on screen.

I've never used concept art (well, I drew over a tiny ship sketch once, but I only worked on that game for a couple of hours so it doesn't really count), so instead I'll show some of my paper work:

The camera doesn't really do it much justice, looks a lot better in real life. I did it as a colouring-pencil copy of a photo of a ceramic. Drawn on A4 cartridge paper (not proud of the messy gradient 'attempt' at the top, was finding it really hard to push down hard enough to make it darker) with very bad handwriting.

The drawing process involved lots of ruler work. I kept measuring the positions of points on the photo, using pencil to draw between the dots. After this, I progressively rubbed out parts of pencil and replaced them with colour (being careful to avoid drawing on the highlight areas).

For each colour, I had a regular, light, and dark version of it. I used these in combination. Then, due to my habit of drawing far too lightly, I had to go over it again a few times while applying more and more pressure in order to make the colours vivid enough. Finally, I used a black colouring pencil to darken some areas.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

XPloder, you seem to be a lot better on paper than on screen.
    I guess, it depends on what tools I use though.

For the rollerball concept I brought out my dusty Aiptek Hyperpen Tablet and it was sort of broken so I had to revert back to a mouse.

The Durbell - which by the way is a marshmallow mixed with gum and radioactive waste - I actually drew after I made the game and instead intended it for my Visual Basic Isometric RPG project, therefore the 3/4 view.

Student
    @ Xploder: that last piece looks interesting

strangely enough this is te best I could get my taco to look

and even then i had to mess with its contrast because it looked kind of blurry when i took the picture. god, a sausage-propelled taco carried by hamburgers along a strip of bacon...

Much great art here

And about Poser... Horrible interface..

I've been working mostly with SolidWorks.. but thats not really targeted towards this kind of use:P
    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.

Student
    doom3 displacement test-model in development

belongs to university projects that involves historical building reconstruction in the doom3 engine. With displacemnt mapping I try to cover as much details possible on a low resolution mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    that last piece looks interesting
    Thanks, all those are original graphics by me, so that took a fair bit out of the development process.

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    doom3 displacement test-model in development
    Hey, that looks really nice, so by diplacement model does it mean that you use a normal texture map, or is it the new technique that makes it extend out with fewer polygons?

This is maybe beond Flash currently but I made this model for my Tankwars remake, which used to be for C++. Now, ported to XNA Express. Lacks a shadow but I'm working on it...

If I can get the polycount down by a factor of 10. Maybe, it might even load in Flash

eeg, how could i possibly relate your pictures to mine? and yet i just did it twice in a row. other than that they are great pictures

renderhj: somehow the building looks soft, as if it were made from modeling clay. after thinking about this, i remembered how my taco turned out to be a soft one

Xploder: those things on the side of your tank easily remind me of hamburgers...the wheels of my taco.
    oh, i also suggest defining the end of your barrel a bit better too, looks more like a cigarette at the moment.